Contract talks - Toby Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Contract talks - Toby Flood

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bundy

Re: Contract talks - Toby Flood

Post by Bundy »

Now of course Simon Cohen's stated approach all sounds very reasonable and grown-up but come on - would we the Club be so laid back if Manu, for example, was out of contract at the end of the season?!! Methinks not! :smt024
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Bundy wrote:Now of course Simon Cohen's stated approach all sounds very reasonable and grown-up but come on - would we the Club be so laid back if Manu, for example, was out of contract at the end of the season?!! Methinks not! :smt024
Toby and Manu are different people, different ages and at different points in their career. Toby has already said that he is not thinking about next season yet. If Tiger's pushed him, it might annoy him and make him go elsewhere.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign a contract with someone whose kicking % is in the 60's either. When the time is right (new contract) is when he starts kicking goals at the level commensurate with his status. :smt025
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I saw a quote from Toby recently that he wasn't going to think seriously about it until January. I'd guess he'd want to see where he fits with Lancaster and England first and what's on the table from LFC.

My guess is Farrell senior will ensure his boy is first choice and as Burns and Ford are seen as the future raising stars then I'm expecting Toby to follow the money.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Players who are out of contract will be deciding their future for next season and beyond before the end of January IMO. And if Flood is leaving then we really need to know soon so that we can plan to replace him before alternative players tie their futures down. So for me there is a degree of urgency here and I would want to be putting an end November deadline on whether he is staying or going.

It is no use getting to March, Flood announcing a deal with Toulon and viable alternatives already agreed new contracts with other clubs.
Always a Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigers aren't in a rush, we already have a replacement in Owen Williams if we need to.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

tigerburnie wrote:Tigers aren't in a rush, we already have a replacement in Owen Williams if we need to.
Agreed. If Leicester are smart (IMHO!)(and they usually are) they will be thinking about an understudy to Williams, not Flood. Flood is not the future, despite the global warming brigade saying otherwise.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Seems a bit early to be placing our faith in Owen Williams just yet, promising though his short performances have been.

If the club decided a straight replacement for Toby were needed this is just the time to have sounding-out discussions. And the price will be cheaper/more realistic while such players believe its only about the possibility TF goes, rather than if he's declared his hand and is in fact going.

All rather bizarre since I rate Toby as the No 1 Fly-half for England, even if he now doesnt quite have the 'promise' of some of his competitors...
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Phil B wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Tigers aren't in a rush, we already have a replacement in Owen Williams if we need to.
Agreed. If Leicester are smart (IMHO!)(and they usually are) they will be thinking about an understudy to Williams, not Flood. Flood is not the future, despite the global warming brigade saying otherwise.
Flood is 28. He had 4-5 seasons left in him. Do we REALLY need to be planning 6-7 seasons ahead, and basing hopes on a guy who has yet to start a game for the club?

Bear in mind, Ford was supposed to be the future... no telling what will happen over the next couple of years.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Time will tell. If you are good enough you are old enough and reports suggest he is the real McCoy. My fear is that if Flood goes, and we buy in a "ready made" replacement, why would Williams hang around? Tigers are about loyalty, but understand people seek pastures new on occasion. In my book, if Williams is number 2 at the moment, then if number 1 goes I then he gets to step up. Otherwise, he might think, why am I hear? :smt017 Of course Ford simply couldn't wait. :smt051
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Can't believe some of the stuff on here!
There is no-one around of Flood's proven quality. Williams is an exciting prospect but without the pair we would be an injury away from mediocraty. Let's hope they want to win things as part of a quality squad and they both stay!
Cheery chappy
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Bring him on!! boyo, now there's tidy
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat