Tigers v Treviso

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Treviso

Post by tigerburnie »

We seem to have got through last weekend without more serious injuries, so I wonder if the same XV will start, indeed the same squad.
Lots of calls to rest YBY, but I can't see a Lion sat on the bench, nor the captain sat next to him either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Treviso

Post by Richard »

Hopefully he will play as he will not be around playing for the tigers for a few weeks and it is the fans who pay to see the stars play
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Richard wrote:Hopefully he will play as he will not be around playing for the tigers for a few weeks and it is the fans who pay to see the stars play
That may be true but, at the moment, I think David Mélé looks a lot sharper and I'd rather see him start in the No.9 jersey.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It is a poor coach who doesn't look at the last match and make the decision on who to select on form, availability, and the needs of the side. I don't think tha RC is a poor coach but he does sometimes makes decisions not all of us agree with.

I for one didn't think that Ben had the awful game in Belfast some thought he did (and I was there) but I certainly think he is not the shoe-in he used to be.

I am more concerned with the last of pace in the back row. JC hasn't played to the standard he set 2 years ago and is very predicable in what he does but I am more concerned about the combination we have turned out in the last 2 games and would like to see it changed. JS cant get to every breakdown first everytime and needs help and with the best will in the world, isn't getting it from JC and ES.

Whilst accepting MB's first game back in the 1st team would be hard, the back 3 just didn't function as a unit in Belfast and I would hope that Matt Tate recovers quickly as we need him badly.

I just hope for a creative selection that will shut me up for a long time - hehehehehehehehehehe
Hehehehehehehehe
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

The last update on Tait was some 3-4 weeks ago when RC stated that he was 2-4 weeks away from being fit. Based on this information Tait may be available this weekend.

As far as the back row goes lets pick players in their rightful positions. I know we are struggling with injuries but Slater is not a no 6.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I havent seen the Ulster game but from the report I read it said we were suspect under the high ball. Hopefully Tait will be back as he is a much better player under the high ball than either Thompstone or Benjamin imo. With Allen out the partnership of Bowden and Goneva will get some more time and hopefully start to gel.

B Youngs should be benched imo, we will need him fit and on form for the back to back games in december and he is unlikely to be given much opportunity to rest by England. He has played a lot of rugby and the fatigue is starting to effect his form, give him a rest now and it could pay dividends later in the season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Should be a cracking game and we need the bonus point badly, i would go with
1. Logo
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Slater
5. Parling
6. Gibson
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Mele
10. Flood (C)
11. Thompstone
12. Bowden
13. Goneva
14. Benjamin
15. Morris

16. Briggs
17. Stankovich
18. Balmain
19. Kitchener
20. TTE
21. Youngs
22. Williams
23. Hepetema/Scully

Briggs, Balmain, Williams and Hepetema/Scully to come on when we have/are near the 4 try bonus
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Don't think you can have Scully even on the bench because of the concussion (or is that over?) Otherwise, good team
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

A tbp win is essential!

IMHO
Still keeping the faith!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Old Hob wrote:Don't think you can have Scully even on the bench because of the concussion (or is that over?) Otherwise, good team
I assumed his rest last week was precautionary
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Treviso have taken a few backwards steps as a team and with their lightweight pack and dire kicking options anything less than 5 points would be a failure.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Agree that a TBP is essential, it certainly won't be as easy as in the past but it is definitely achievable. IMO:

Logo, Youngs, Cole
Deacon, Parling
Slater, Waldrom (I'll be amazed if he starts though), Salvi
Mele (think he deserves the start on current form), Flood
Bowden, Goneva
Thompstone, Morris, Benjamin (although if Scully is available he should start IMO- Benjamin and Thompstone leaves us lacking a second kicking option in the back 3)

With a bench of:

Briggs, Balmain, Stanko, Kitchener (on at about 50/55), Gibson (on at 50/55 for Slater), Youngs (on at 50/55), Williams, Hepetema

Introducing Gibson, Kitchener and Youngs just after half-time would lift the tempo and hopefully push Tigers towards the TBP, especially if Slater and Deacon have been able to do the hard work early on. Use of the bench could prove crucial to getting 5 points rather than 4 and despite the injuries there are still some good options who could make all the difference.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think some are underestimating both the strength of Treviso and the current lack of our first choice players.
We NEED to win, a bonus point is just that, a bonus, the Italians are no longer a guaranteed easy win any more, look at their results, they deserve respect.
I both hope we will get the bonus point, but will wait to see the team sheets before making any predictions on the likely scoreline and that we win in style too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote:I think some are underestimating both the strength of Treviso and the current lack of our first choice players.
We NEED to win, a bonus point is just that, a bonus, the Italians are no longer a guaranteed easy win any more, look at their results, they deserve respect.
I both hope we will get the bonus point, but will wait to see the team sheets before making any predictions on the likely scoreline and that we win in style too.
I would echo this caution - I have posted on the Allen thread that Tigers are definitely having to retrain players to fit in different positions as the injuries have reached crisis point.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:I think some are underestimating both the strength of Treviso and the current lack of our first choice players.
We're short of, what... five first-choice players?

We've certainly lost a lot of depth - particularly in the centres - but we've still got a very strong starting line-up.

Squad management will be cruical - we can't really afford to lose too many more now - but if we can avoid further injuries until some of the current sick-list start returning then I don't see why we can't still be racking up wins with the players we've got.