Tigers v Treviso

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Treviso

Post by sapajo »

Grimlish wrote:, what does this tell you about the state of cohesion (and possibly the coaching) of our backs just now?
Agree about Toby's pathetic go at Scully that pass as some of his others was woeful and Toby knew it but chose to vent his spleen at poor Scully who just happened to be our best back on the pitch. By the way who is the current backs coach? even given the ridiculous injury list the majority could neither pass nor catch last night. 5 points was certainly a fantastic result I worry when our luck will run out because apart from the forwards at this stage of the season we are still not firing on all cylinders.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Seemed more an organisational and mentality issue to me. Backs played like strangers with little structure. Hepetema clearly didn't fully know the systems. As has been said, we didn't earn the right to go wide but we did it anyway. Too often we went the wrong way, or we simply didn't have the men set and ready to receive the ball. Confusion of who to pass to. Greasy ball. These players don't just become poor players overnight, but our approach was wrong.

Not the best home debut for Hepetema, but he clearly has some talent. Hopefully he will get a chance to grow into it.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'll happily take the points, we have a scratch team of backs and forwards playing out of position, sitting nicely and as someone else said, the fixture list gives a bit of help, still confident we can get through this pool ok.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

tigerburnie wrote:I'll happily take the points, we have a scratch team of backs and forwards playing out of position, sitting nicely and as someone else said, the fixture list gives a bit of help, still confident we can get through this pool ok.
The Ulster result may help?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

sapajo wrote:
Grimlish wrote:, what does this tell you about the state of cohesion (and possibly the coaching) of our backs just now?
Agree about Toby's pathetic go at Scully that pass as some of his others was woeful and Toby knew it but chose to vent his spleen at poor Scully who just happened to be our best back on the pitch. By the way who is the current backs coach? even given the ridiculous injury list the majority could neither pass nor catch last night. 5 points was certainly a fantastic result I worry when our luck will run out because apart from the forwards at this stage of the season we are still not firing on all cylinders.
Yes I've noticed quite a few times that Flood has a tendency to too readily blame others if a move goes wrong. Not a good characteristic IMO.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

The No 10 is supposed to control the backline and both YBY and Flood are well off the pace.. They both need a rest which they 'aint' going to get....

Hopefully Mele and Williams will be what the Doctor ordered...
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

fortysix wrote:The No 10 is supposed to control the backline and both YBY and Flood are well off the pace.. They both need a rest which they 'aint' going to get....

Why does Flood need a rest? He has the whole summer off and also a few weeks during this season?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote:
fortysix wrote:The No 10 is supposed to control the backline and both YBY and Flood are well off the pace.. They both need a rest which they 'aint' going to get....

Why does Flood need a rest? He has the whole summer off and also a few weeks during this season?
its a polite way of saying he needs dropping, either way he isn't really keeping his place on merit so far
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:

its a polite way of saying he needs dropping, either way he isn't really keeping his place on merit so far
Whilst I would welcome Williams getting more game time to suggest that Flood needs dropping seems to me somewhat extreme!
Still keeping the faith!
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

My view is this.

While Toby and Ben are not playing their best Rugby they are experienced playing for Tigers and with our forwards. While we are starting with several very new combinations in the backs it was probably judged safer to stick with reliable hands in the three quarters. I believe the starting line up from 15 to 11 had only 15 minutes game time together.

Mele and Williams may well have brought their own great attributes to the game, but we may also have had a bunch of individuals confusing each other.

Actually the play looked very much like that anyway; great running, poor linking and some gruesome handling.

These last two results are better than the last two against the same opposition (away at Ravenhill, home with Treviso) and while we want better we can also confidently expect better as the season matures.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bill W (2) wrote:Whilst I would welcome Williams getting more game time to suggest that Flood needs dropping seems to me somewhat extreme!
maybe so but were he not captain I doubt Williams would have stayed sat on the pine Friday night
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Whilst I would welcome Williams getting more game time to suggest that Flood needs dropping seems to me somewhat extreme!
maybe so but were he not captain I doubt Williams would have stayed sat on the pine Friday night

Maybe so. Who made the call?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:

I have my doubts that Burke, not being the DOR, would have the guts to make that call, where as Cockers would
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:

I have my doubts that Burke, not being the DOR, would have the guts to make that call, where as Cockers would[/quote]

Cockers will have been speaking to Burke. Cockers made the call!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bill W (2) wrote: Cockers will have been speaking to Burke. Cockers made the call!

:smt023
but Cockers was banned, I hope you can back that accusation up :smt023