Ulster vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Ulster vs Tigers

Post by Big Dai »

Lutontiger wrote:Feel really sorry for our players reading some of these comments after a very bruising encounter. Several of them will have injuries to overcome without such harsh criticism, and now the game has become more fierce they risk their health and livelihoods every match. Fair enough, we've all got views about how individuals coped on the day, but the best teachers focus on praising the good rather than always focussing on the negatives... mind you, totally agree with the comments about touch judges - over and over they seem to be silent when clearly in a good position to see crookedness of all kinds. If these kinds of infringements were stopped early enough in matches, hopefully we'd have less cause to bemoan our players not doing well - and they'd pick up fewer injuries!
Not trying to gripe Luton.............just asking questions. Are we as street wise as we were? No doubting commitment and heart.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Big Dai wrote:Problem is I reckon Montpellier will sneak the group! :smt011

Ahem, less of that please :smt002 :smt002

Anyway, could all be worse now the dust has settled....Quins just lost at home to Scarlets....

And Saints managed a LBP away to castres, Mallinder not happy as Castres are mis-firing at the moment apparently
Every cloud has a really thick black lining! :smt001
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

WhitecapTiger wrote:

Anyway, could all be worse now the dust has settled....Quins just lost at home to Scarlets....

And Saints managed a LBP away to castres, Mallinder not happy as Castres are mis-firing at the moment apparently
and Munster lost to Edinburgh a team that I think have not won a game in Europe for 18 months and sit bottom of the Rabo
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

drc_007 wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:

and Munster lost to Edinburgh a team that I think have not won a game in Europe for 18 months and sit bottom of the Rabo
Been saving their players for the HEC :smt002 :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Big Dai, you ask: are we less streetwise? Am inclined to agree - in previous game, we didn't profit, and not for the first time, while opponents down to 14 players. http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... rney-ronay
Re officials, found Barney Ronay's article today interesting. He's talking about football but think it applies to our rugby refs too.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Lutontiger wrote:Big Dai, you ask: are we less streetwise? Am inclined to agree - in previous game, we didn't profit, and not for the first time, while opponents down to 14 players. http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... rney-ronay
Re officials, found Barney Ronay's article today interesting. He's talking about football but think it applies to our rugby refs too.
sadly his entire article can be summed up by Graham Poll's reaction to Mark Halsey's book, basically branding him a traitor for saying their bosses are incompetent and under qualified refs getting games they haven't the skills to cope with.

I hope this isn't the case in Rugby
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Baggy Trousers wrote:Not convinced about the penalty on Jackson's "try" especially as in defence Tigers had shot up offside 4 or 5 times directly in front of me in the first half.
Whilst getting what you mean, and sympathising to some degree, the fact that Tigers were not punished for what were, in your opinion, earlier offences of a similar nature, doesn't remove the fact the officials made the Jackson decision correctly, IMO, and in the opinion of commentators/studio guests.
That's fair comment. On TV watching it this morning it was easy to hear the whistle blow quite early. At the match nobody heard a thing and all the way Paddy was "guldered" (Ulster word for heartily cheered :smt003 ) home. Bit of a bummer & the other "try" which was correctly ruled out was a piece of magic but the forward pass, sadly was by Luke Marshall, one of the hardest working players I've ever seen but a man who lacks a little finesse. (Probably perfect for PRL clubs :smt043 Sorry couldn't resist.)

I found it quite an exciting match live but watching it this morning I was struck by our appalling error count. Thing is, like yourselves I'm not terribly bothered, we have a lot of guys just back into the team after the damned rest period after the Lions tour. In a month or two we will be much much better. So many dropped balls from decent passes. :smt017

Anyway, until we meet in January good luck to you. I watched a little of Montpellier today & wasn't terribly impressed. I think that game away to them next week is a week or two too soon for quite a few of our guys but I'm not without hope after seeing what they are made of today. Neither should Tigers, it could still come down to that final game to win the group, not for runners up places. :smt045
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Baggy Trousers wrote:So many dropped balls from decent passes. :smt017

Anyway, until we meet in January good luck to you. I watched a little of Montpellier today & wasn't terribly impressed. I think that game away to them next week is a week or two too soon for quite a few of our guys but I'm not without hope after seeing what they are made of today. Neither should Tigers, it could still come down to that final game to win the group, not for runners up places. :smt045
I still haven't watched it back yet, but certainly remember both teams coughing the ball up cheaply - although Tigers have done it far too much of late.

Good luck yourselves. I too watched the Treviso/Montpellier match and saw nothing special but I'm sure they'll be different on their own patch and also be thinking similar to ourselves.....first match etc etc, neither of us should, or will, take them lightly.

Hopefully when we meet again in January both teams will be at full strength - or as full as possible, no further injury concerns, players currently out returned and up to speed i.e. Manu/Ferris et al and we can both go for it, hopefully the rugby will do the talking and not the officials :smt023

Enjoyed the craic with the Ulster lads on the terrace the last visit....well, except for the one who'd apparently eaten roadkill badger for lunch on top of a few pints of Old Peculiar.........I've smelt some bad things in my life but......well, you get the picture :smt005
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Back Row Balance all wrong, not helped by Deacon in 2nd Row to make 3 "Big" men, we are used to playing with a rangey athletic 6, Slater is playing well but he doesn't fit that pattern.

Thompstone had his worst game for us.

We need to get Bowden on the ball more & Benji will get better with gametime & we need to find a way to get Williams on the field more, he just looks very cool & ready to go.

The non use of the bench is bizarre & has been for sometime, Mulipola is getting better by the game.

The result was right but as per Bath & Saints game we could of won, the LBP may be vital, & we need to fear our Feanch opponents, if Rene Ranger has arrived & is fit he will casue real problems.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Whitecap when you do finally get the chance please check the yellow card again and I am sure you will see how the player manages to get both his legs catching the Ulster player.

I am happy to hold my hand up when an Ulster player does something wrong or isn't up to it unlike many that follow on this side. Reporting on the Ulster site is that Leicester fans are arrogant in truth I have never found that just a belief in you team also how you will tank us at WR in January whilst at the same time Ulster fans we will turn you over. A lot of rugby between now and then and as I have always said 'if my granny had balls she'd have been my grandad'

I am prepared to wait until January to see what outcome happens.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

well given how many penalties that were given for Ulster scrummaging illegally at least 1 of your starting props should of had a 10 minuet break
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Jim you could well be right just as technically Jackson could maybe have been yellow card for his offside interception that led to his non try. The ref could have considered it deliberately preventing a possible Leicester as you where pushing for the line and spreading the ball out wide.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cockatrice wrote:Whitecap when you do finally get the chance please check the yellow card again and I am sure you will see how the player manages to get both his legs catching the Ulster player.

I am happy to hold my hand up when an Ulster player does something wrong or isn't up to it unlike many that follow on this side. Reporting on the Ulster site is that Leicester fans are arrogant in truth I have never found that just a belief in you team also how you will tank us at WR in January whilst at the same time Ulster fans we will turn you over. A lot of rugby between now and then and as I have always said 'if my granny had balls she'd have been my grandad'

I am prepared to wait until January to see what outcome happens.
Still not watched it back but I'll keep an eye out, I remember Crane catching the scrum half, that's not disputed, but whether he 'knew what he was doing' is debatable, just remember him rolling from the back of a ruck, legs/ankles together. guess it could be viewed either way. I did think of Michael Claessens (ex-bath) and/or Peter Stringer when it happened....both scrum halves who like to fall over a leg and cry foul, but admittedly that was in the heat of 'the battle' to be fair.

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and I don't think either club step over the mark, although the occasional supporter might take the banter a bit too far :smt002 :smt023 indeed a long way to go, players to come back from injury, hopefully none to be lost along the way, for either side.

Roll on January and some more craic on the WR terrace.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Cockatrice wrote:Jim you could well be right just as technically Jackson could maybe have been yellow card for his offside interception that led to his non try. The ref could have considered it deliberately preventing a possible Leicester as you where pushing for the line and spreading the ball out wide.
Jackson I disagree with as he was offside from the previous breakdown and had Tiger picked and drove he would of gotten back onside, look at Dan Cole's reaction when he got pinged, instantly said Ulster were driving up in the scrum, an obviously deliberate act to counter Tigers dominance in that area, where as Crane was trying to crawl away and just happened to get tangled, I personally felt that was harsh as he didn't deliberately trip him up
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Hi Jimmy, I have to completely disagree with you on Jordan.

First he was deliberately lying on the wrong side right in front of the posts making no attempt to move.
That's a yellow arguably right there. Then he decides to try and roll away just as the scrum half plays the ball. Not a coincidence IMHO.

Players know what they are doing in this situation. Lets not be kidded by their look of innocence or by the fact they play for our team. :smt002