New process for policing the salary cap!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

New process for policing the salary cap!

Post by fleabane »

Valhalla I am coming!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: New process for policing the salary cap!

Post by bluntiger »

Why have they put this article with a picture of us?
Always a Tiger
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

They couldn't find a good one of a London club winning anything recently?
Valhalla I am coming!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I note at the end of the article its states

"PRL has also set up a hotline for anyone who wishes to present information relating to a breach of salary cap"

Bet the phone is red hot and has not stopped ringing :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

I note the comment that states: "They are also given £240,000 worth of academy credits and leeway for one injury replacement".

My understanding is that the academy credits is not a blanket £240k, but an allowance of (I think) £30k each for academy-product players who are in the first team squad. This means that you can have this credit for up to 8 players who have graduated from the academy.

[If its £40k per player then it allows for up to 6 such players, but I think it is £30k].

The leeway for one injury replacement is puzzling as more than one player can get a long-term injury. The Tigers have got at least two injury replacements with Pablo Matera replacing Tom Croft and Terrence Hepetema has come in for Matt Smith. Or will Hepetema be moving on when Smith is fit again - which might be around when Matera is due to arrive? Anyone got any info or views/ news on this? :smt017

I welcome the advice of posters far more knowledgable than I! :smt001
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

sapajo wrote:I note at the end of the article its states

"PRL has also set up a hotline for anyone who wishes to present information relating to a breach of salary cap"

Bet the phone is red hot and has not stopped ringing :smt002
What from Saints fans and management? Their excuse for consistent failure is that we exceed the cap and so does one man and his dog if they beat Saints to a trophy.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I'm by no means sure, but my understanding has been that injury dispensation applies for any player who is going to be out for more than three months. ISTR we have had more than one such replacement in a season before.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Going slightly off topics - does anyone know why Terrence Hepetema did not play for the A Team at Worcester? :smt017
Neil Back is the Greatest!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^^^ Very off topic. Why do it if you know?
Valhalla I am coming!
YoungMan

Post by YoungMan »

bluntiger wrote:Why have they put this article with a picture of us?

Well....... If the cap fits :smt005
I'm so happy I feel like bouncing!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

What is included in the salary Cap

Amounts which are paid or payable (or in the case of a benefit in kind, provided or to be provided) directly or indirectly, onshore or offshore, by or on behalf of a Club or any Connected Party or Third Party of the Club, to or in respect of a Player or any Connected Party of the Player.
Amounts that are included

Salary, wage, fee, remuneration etc.
Bonus (match, win, year-end etc.)
National insurance
Loan (not paid back in full before end of SCY loan was made).
Child support / maintenance /school fees
Accommodation or holiday cost
Pension (incl. annuities)
Image Rights payments Payment in connection with promotional, media or endorsement work
Payment for off-field activities for or on behalf of club
Signing on fee, transfer payment, relocation allowance or payment linked to transfer
Accommodation, holidays, cars, match tickets (other than 4 per match), clothing (other than training kit, official club blazers and other club wear), travel, membership fees, food and drink (other than at matches and training)
Payment in kind a player would not have received were it not for his involvement with a Club
Redundancy/Compromise etc.
Agent Fees plus VAT & NI

Amounts that are excluded

International match fees, bonuses, etc.
Legitimate and reasonable expenses
Player's personal private medical insurance including Rugby Care scheme
Benefit Year (testimonial)
Education fees (e.g. university tuition fees, joinery course fees etc.) for the player
A season long Loan Player x 3 players
A player who is Injured for the entire season

From here
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premier ... lR2uhZMbT0
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What isn't mentioned in the list is perhaps more relevant.

How can the league police payments made by sponsors foreign operation to a non-domiciled player for promotional work in a foreign country.
Won't show up in the sponsors UK accounts and won't show up in the player's UK tax return (unless he moves the money to the UK).

The following example is fictitious:

So if I had a company making hair curling products and wanted to engage Scott Hamilton for PR work in New Zealand via my Jersey operation and paid him, in the Virgin Islands. Just how on earth would the league police this? Remember this is perfectly legal in the UK so the Inland Revenue aren't going to be helping the league on this one and the cost of investigating enormous and may well not be legal.

If a club has sponsors with deep enough pockets and players entitled to non-dom status the salary cap is as watertight as a string vest.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote:What isn't mentioned in the list is perhaps more relevant.

How can the league police payments made by sponsors foreign operation to a non-domiciled player for promotional work in a foreign country.
Won't show up in the sponsors UK accounts and won't show up in the player's UK tax return (unless he moves the money to the UK).

The following example is fictitious:

So if I had a company making hair curling products and wanted to engage Scott Hamilton for PR work in New Zealand via my Jersey operation and paid him, in the Virgin Islands. Just how on earth would the league police this? Remember this is perfectly legal in the UK so the Inland Revenue aren't going to be helping the league on this one and the cost of investigating enormous and may well not be legal.

If a club has sponsors with deep enough pockets and players entitled to non-dom status the salary cap is as watertight as a string vest.
Try looking up real examples of where this has been tried and people/teams have been caught and penalised (or even the ones pointed out to you before), both in sport and other areas. Assess the concept on a basis of risk v reward as a strategy using numbers that make a difference and it simply isn't viable.

It's like living in Groundhog Day.

I do like some of your points and posts, you just don't seem able to comprehend this area.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Nice to see that Sarries have no salary cap issues they have announced on twitter that they have signed the Argentinian international Marcelo Bosch!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

If a company outside of the UK choose to employ the son/daughtrer/ mother/ father/brother/sister/ lover of a PRL registered player that is of no interest to HMRC or PRL - or is it? If a company outside of the UK choose to "give" a PRL player a piece of real estate that is of no concern to HMRC or PRL or is it?

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!