George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

George Ford

Post by Smudge »

I was happy that our trip to Sandy Park was enjoyable and then went off for a few days along the coast.
It was only on Tuesday on the ITV highlights show that I saw the superb
try scored by George for Bath.
Frankly, if he had done that for us we would be shouting about it from the rooftops.
The more I see of the kid the more I regret his going and the stupidity that caused it.
(Queue deluge of rubbish from the usual people). I don't care, it still wrankles
and as his fame increases it won't just be Baarth members and the media pundits calling it "incredulous".
It had better not happen to Williams but then I said that about George after Billy left.
A life long Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by kingol22 »

Ford got chances and did not really perform to a level to overtake Flood for the 10 shirt, if he had showed his current form for us he would have got a lot more game time but he didn't.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Smudge wrote:(Queue deluge of rubbish from the usual people).
What else do you expect? The matter was done and dusted a good while ago. George Ford has left Leicester so let it be or get yourself a season ticket at the Rec.
Last edited by BJ. on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

And it was never a try anyway! Absurd decision as was the previous try when the ref was directly involved.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

I have an inkling that Ford would've left Tigers last season regardless judging by his performances. Whatever Tigers could've offered him, his father could offer him better with Flood having another year on his contract.

As good as he may turn out to be, I'm afraid it was never meant to be at the Tigers. I'd rather have someone who puts 100% into the club.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

What do you suggest we should have done? Promised him the no. 10 shirt when he was by some distance not the best 10 at the club, or alternatively chained him to a Welford Rd set of posts so he couldn't leave? It is so easy to criticise. I would not play him over Flood now, and to have done so last season with his poor showing would have been ludicrous. He chose to go. Get over it.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

GF had his chances and didn't take them, after xmas he looked very second rate and I for one was glad to see him go.

As far as chances for games this season go, TF will probably be off to the AIs and Lamb just broke his hand. Ford would have been playing again, if he'd bothered to stick around.

Enter Owen Williams, let's see what he can do.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Good riddance.

If he didn't want to play for us then he had to go. Simples.

It's irrelevant how good he eventually becomes. He didn't slip through out fingers, he said "I'm off", and if he said "Unless"..., as well then that would have quickened his exit, I'm sure. Quite right too.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

BJ wrote
George Ford has left Leicester so let it be or get yourself a season ticket at the Rec.
Wash your mouth out Sir.

I have been in and about the Tigers since the mid fifties.
I have "let it be" as you call it but it still rankles, and not just with me.
What will you do when the next young star is lost to us by stupidity?
(Because that is what it was).
A life long Tiger
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Phil B wrote:Good riddance.

If he didn't want to play for us then he had to go. Simples.

It's irrelevant how good he eventually becomes. He didn't slip through out fingers, he said "I'm off", and if he said "Unless"..., as well then that would have quickened his exit, I'm sure. Quite right too.
Agreed Ford strikes me as being petulant things did not go the way he demanded at Tigers and so he chose to move to Bath because it allows him to fully indulge himself safe in the knowledge that his dad will cover his back and select him :smt045
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Did he ground the ball ? Austin suggested otherwise on Sunday.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Tomvarndell wrote:Did he ground the ball ? Austin suggested otherwise on Sunday.
The next time Austin gets something right will be the first - an excellent analyst and dreadful commentator.

At times he really does not seem to know the laws at all.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

As for GF - I too was very sad to see him go but entirely unsurprised and I thought it inevitable. Two players who are potentially both competing for the same position for different countries as well as at Tigers (Castro/Cole, Ellis/Dupuy) is bad enough but for the same country is impossible.

Of all the players who've joined the exodus to Bath to me the most sad and biggest mistake was Sam Vesty, who was replaced by "honest journeyman" Jeremy Staunton (who despite giving always of his best was nowhere near as good as SV in my opinion) and whose career effectively died with the move. Not far behind was Dan Hipkiss who effectively disappeared without trace once he left, although I can at least see why Tigers were willing to let him go with Manu coming through. I can also see the logic of why Lweis Moody and Horacio Agulla were allowed to go - may not agree with letting them go but can at least understand: Sam Vesty I never did understand.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:As for GF - I too was very sad to see him go but entirely unsurprised and I thought it inevitable. Two players who are potentially both competing for the same position for different countries as well as at Tigers (Castro/Cole, Ellis/Dupuy) is bad enough but for the same country is impossible.

Of all the players who've joined the exodus to Bath to me the most sad and biggest mistake was Sam Vesty, who was replaced by "honest journeyman" Jeremy Staunton (who despite giving always of his best was nowhere near as good as SV in my opinion) and whose career effectively died with the move. Not far behind was Dan Hipkiss who effectively disappeared without trace once he left, although I can at least see why Tigers were willing to let him go with Manu coming through. I can also see the logic of why Lweis Moody and Horacio Agulla were allowed to go - may not agree with letting them go but can at least understand: Sam Vesty I never did understand.
Concir fully!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

Smudge, how was it caused by stupidity?
I thought he wanted to go and play guaranteed first team for his dad under the premise of not enough game time which clearly wasn't the case given the number of games he was given.
Like 36 though I regret his departure he wasn't good enough to play over Allen and Ford wasn't good enough to play over Ford.
The regret in my opinion is that these talented young players weren't prepared to stick around, learn from their more experienced team mates and eventually compete for the shirt.
Even this season after further development I wouldn't play 36 over Allen who I think is pretty much faultless and definitely wouldn't play Ford over Flood both would however if they'd stayed have been incredible 2nd choice fighting for 1st.