Where will European rugby be in 5 years time

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Where will European rugby be in 5 years time

Post by old one eye »

Reading around forums on other fans sites, particularly ones in the Pro12, club rugby will fall victim to the greedy vultures of the PRL.

Where do you see the club/international game in 5 years, if the new proposed European tournament goes ahead?
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Where will European rugby be in 5 years time

Post by Eon B »

I don't know what shape it will be in, but I will confidently answer your "Where?" question.

"At Welford Road! Where else!"
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

In a very different place to where it is today.

:smt006 :smt006 :smt006
Still keeping the faith!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I remember well a conversation with a Tigers employee a few years ago in Perpignan who pretty much asked me the same question, I replied that we would be playing in some sort of European league perhaps it's not too far away!
nasher

Post by nasher »

Hopefully Europe wide and all inclusive without the imbalance in both qualification and revenue sharing that presently exists. And please better refereeing.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

nasher wrote:Hopefully Europe wide and all inclusive without the imbalance in both qualification and revenue sharing that presently exists. And please better refereeing.
I agree, but, the fall in revenue to the Celtic teams may lead to their demise. Would we then end up in an Anglo French competition with the English Labouring under a salary cap trying to compete with the French big spenders.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I suspect the real problem may be competition from soccer, Scotland is fighting a probably losing battle and if the two welsh soccer sides remain in the premiership for an extended period they could cause serious damage to attendance at club/regional matches.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If it is true that the Heineken Cup is keeping celtic/Italian teams afloat, then surely that is unfair to businesses like the Tigers. Should the subsidies be required, should they not come from either the home RFU or the IRB, you cannot expect a private business struggling to raise income to subsidise others.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It's not simply the English clubs subsidizing essentially non-viable foreign clubs/regions etc but even more so the viewers. The last figures I saw for Sky was that 85%+ of the actual viewing (eg, paying) audience for the HC in UK and Ireland (it didn't show figures for France) was English so we are subsidizing the Celts to have an advantage over our teams.

One of the simple truths is that for English clubs, virtually without exception, European gates for group matches differ little from "ordinary" league games. An expanded Premiership with an additional 4 games plus a meaningful (rather than the absurd LV format) knockout competition would adequately make up any shortfall.

I personally, whilst enjoying the HC, am always far more focused on and concerned about the Premiership anyway.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Just had the conversation with some Swansea boys last week about the demise of rugby - in Swansea it was always a footie town anyway, but they reckon the game is struggling badly. I personally think it will survive and thrive in Cardiff, but am unsure about the other 3 venues/regions.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Just had the conversation with some Swansea boys last week about the demise of rugby - in Swansea it was always a footie town anyway, but they reckon the game is struggling badly. I personally think it will survive and thrive in Cardiff, but am unsure about the other 3 venues/regions.
I would suspect JG that in five years there will be only two Welsh (fully professional) "clubs" at the "top table"- and only two Irish. Plemty of room at the lower tiers (in Europe). Of course, it remains to be seen the extent to which the Celtic Unions can truly embrace a multi tiered pan European "club" structure. My guess is that this will take more than five years and will only occur after significant pressure from the grass roots.
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Is the gloom expressed above the reason why odd references to South Africa keep coming up as a possible participant in a club tournament. I have seen several passing comments about "widening the game/ support". An English /French/ SA tournament does not have a natural fit to me and I certainly couldn't do away games.

Without the Celts an English French bash (with us getting bashed) might be tedious.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Old Hob wrote:Is the gloom expressed above the reason why odd references to South Africa keep coming up as a possible participant in a club tournament. I have seen several passing comments about "widening the game/ support". An English /French/ SA tournament does not have a natural fit to me and I certainly couldn't do away games.

Without the Celts an English French bash (with us getting bashed) might be tedious.
When needs must the devil drives Old Hob. Unlike the Celts the SA clubs are unlikely to demand a £2.2M (each) Subsidy from the English and French. SA is in the same time zone as UK and the cost of meals etc lower than Ireland or Italy (and the UK)
Still keeping the faith!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just the £800 x 2 for me and the missus to get there then every other week!
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I wouldn't worry too much about SA chaps, if that clown from Saracens is to be believed you'll soon all be living it up in the US of A. :smt002