Mallinder and West behaviour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Mallinder and West behaviour

Post by ellis9 »

After just watching the Gloucester v Saints game and seeing the penalty that was given at the end, does anyone else think it was wrong seeing Mallinder and West shouting towards the fourth official and referee to see why the ref had given a scrum when they felt time was up?

Surely shouting at the officials isn't allowed. (I am sure I have heard this somewhere else before) :smt017

Also, when the penalty was given, did I see Mallinder kick the advertising board in disgust?

It may have been the wrong decision but this behaviour apparently isn't allowed :smt018
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Mallinder and West behaviour

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

ellis9 wrote:After just watching the Gloucester v Saints game and seeing the penalty that was given at the end, does anyone else think it was wrong seeing Mallinder and West shouting towards the fourth official and referee to see why the ref had given a scrum when they felt time was up?

Surely shouting at the officials isn't allowed. (I am sure I have heard this somewhere else before) :smt017

Also, when the penalty was given, did I see Mallinder kick the advertising board in disgust?

It may have been the wrong decision but this behaviour apparently isn't allowed :smt018
I would suggest if you feel strongly about this you should write to the RFU(as precedent has been set) and ask them to investigate this matter as the behaviour of the coaching staff brings the game into disrepute. Certainly the coaching staff should not question the ref's decision so publicly, there are channels for doing that sort of thing! :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

May I suggest that everyone who access to the internet web tweets the RFU to express their views if they wish as its quick and visible :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

if we all complain it won't get taken into account but it will be officially noted on any transcripts

:smt017 :smt002
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It was the first time I'd ever seen Mallinder express any kind of emotion as he's usually got his impenetrable vaguely smug mask on. I did send a little tweet off as petty revenge for grassing Cockers up, for my own satisfaction rather than any real expectation of RFU action.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Think Of The Children! :smt002
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

On the whole I thought Mallinder was quite reserved considering. I think Nobby might have been pushging it though.

Did anyone else notice the gloucester 'fan' giving Mallinder a lot of abuse as he walked down the touch line- some interesting gesticulations, that really gloucester ought to look at and consider action. If I had been malinder at that point there might have been blood spilt.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

I agree
we should send some Emails to the RFU stating that there has been a precedent set ( due to saints emails to the RFU following the Aviva final earlier this year)
The televised actions by Mallinder and West in this game is bringing the game into disrepute
Quote from RFU website
" Diamond was charged by the Rugby Football Union with one count of verbally abusing a match official under RFU Rule 5.12 which covers “conduct prejudicial to ......."
It may just result in a reduction of Cockers 9 match ban for allegedly acting the same as Mallinder and West have done in this game, but I doubt it.
Pot and Kettle come into mind.
i cannot find the correct email address for making a complaint to the RFU :smt017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
tigerbruiser
Tiger Cub

Post by tigerbruiser »

This should work...

[email protected]

from their Discipline page... http://www.rfu.com/thegame/discipline
ginge

Post by ginge »

I was equally disgusted but not really surprised, in the Glaws fan flicking JM the 'V's' as he walked to the tunnel at the end of the game.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

I have sent this to [email protected]

lets see what will happen - nothing probably
Sirs
After watching the Gloucester v Saints game on saturday 21st September I was disgusted to see the Northamptom coaches Mallinder and West shouting towards the fourth official and referee regarding why the ref had given a scrum when they felt time was up?
This was after the penalty that was given at the end of the match.

Surely shouting at the officials isn't allowed. - I understand a severe penalty was awarded against the Leicester director of rugby earlier this year for the same allegeed offence Except this time there was not an uncoscious player on the field play totally ignored by the referee.
Also, when the penalty was given, Mallinder appeared to kick the advertising board in disgust - very unbecoming and a terrible advert for rugby.!

It may have been the wrong decision by the Ref. but this behaviour by club officials towards the 4th official and referee apparently isn't allowed , or will the RFU start condoning these actions now ?

Please reply stating what actions you intend to take regarding this incident in order to prevent repetition of this type of loutish behaviour.
Or make a statement that this behaviour is acceptable now and rescind any similar penalties you have awarded against other club officials recently.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

APJones wrote:Surely shouting at the officials isn't allowed. - I understand a severe penalty was awarded against the Leicester director of rugby earlier this year for the same allegeed offence Except this time there was not an uncoscious player on the field play totally ignored by the referee.

..... or will the RFU start condoning these actions now ?

Or make a statement that this behaviour is acceptable now and rescind any similar penalties you have awarded against other club officials recently.
Whilst they are all true, in any correspondence with the RFU it might be worth omitting these lines, so it appears as a complaint against Mallinder & West not a 'well you didn't do it this way for tigers gripe'
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Alatoruk wrote:Whilst they are all true, in any correspondence with the RFU it might be worth omitting these lines, so it appears as a complaint against Mallinder & West not a 'well you didn't do it this way for tigers gripe'
Agreed Alatoruk. I also hope all the spelling and grammatical errors weren't included.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

We are in danger of getting a bit precious about this. They were both expressing their anger at some distinctly iffy calls from the ref. As far as I am aware, they didn't confront the officials, and I suspect any coach would react in the same way. You can't really draw any parallel with Cockers behaviour
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I actually think there is some comparison. Although there was nothing said/shouted in the refs or fourth official's face, they were shouting about the decisions by the ref on the touchline, which I think was also outside the designated coaches area. Also, it seemed as though Jim Mallinder kicked the advertising board. Just because there seemed to be no swearing at the official, they have committed a similar offence.

Cockers was found guilty of using obscene, inappropriate and/or unprofessional language and behaviour towards fourth official Stuart Terheege.

In my view, Mallinder and West used unprofessional behaviour which was also seen by millions on live TV which you could also say was bringing the game into disrepute. So although, they are not exactly the same, they are similar and still something that the RFU and the Premiership should not want in their game.