Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

M69/M1 junction closed this weekend

Post by loretta »

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/M ... z2f8lgAzbx

Alternative arrangements may be required for Saturday's match.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: M69/M1 junction closed this weekend

Post by BJ. »

So, if I read the article correctly, the flow of traffic southbound on the M1 shouldn't be affected and it shouldn't back up to J22.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

BJ. wrote:So, if I read the article correctly, the flow of traffic southbound on the M1 shouldn't be affected and it shouldn't back up to J22.
It looks like the slip road will be open. However, with the current reduced lanes at the fosse park roundabout, drivers using Fosseway/Narborough road approach instead of M69 and people turning up unawares from the city side, I wouldn't like to say where congestion/backing up might happen.

I suppose the advice will be to leave extra time, as always.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I would be willing to bet that there will be considerable delays at the junction . Far better to use J22 and approach through the city, IMHO.
Panther Pinto

Post by Panther Pinto »

I don't know the roads around the area very well at all, so any local advice more than welcome.

I come up from the South West and use this junction.
Think my Plan B would be to come off M69 at junction 1 and join the A47 Hinckley Road which I can then follow to the City.

Just checking in case this is a notorious road to avoid?
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Panther Pinto wrote:I don't know the roads around the area very well at all, so any local advice more than welcome.

Think my Plan B would be to come off M69 at junction 1 and join the A47 Hinckley Road which I can then follow to the City.

That would be O.K. PP right down to the holiday inn.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I usually head down the A50 from J22 so hopefully there shouldn't be any problems for us lads from oop North.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Panther Pinto wrote:I don't know the roads around the area very well at all, so any local advice more than welcome.

Would suggest dropping south from Junction 1 on to A5 for 2 - 3 miles and turn left on the B4114 (signposted Sharnford) then follow this road all the way to Fosse Park roundabout. Then straight in on the Narborugh Road. Better than driving through Hinckley on to the A47.

Mind you if you live in Newton Abbot I bet you are used to sitting around waiting in traffic !
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Would anyone know whether coming off at M1/J20 and then cut across country to the A6 be a good option?
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

From jct 20 would say best into Lutterworth then straight onto Leicester rather than going over to A6
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

cidermark wrote:Would anyone know whether coming off at M1/J20 and then cut across country to the A6 be a good option?
You would be better staying on the M1 to junction 21A to the second junction (A50) and down to the City Centre.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

From recent experience, it will clog up and if you can find an alternative route you'd be better off doing so.

Also if you drive into town itself be aware that there are lane restrictions by the Royal Infirmary and Oxford Street, and Newarke Street is reduced lanes so the whole of that area backs up if busy.

There is also the bus lane works on A426 between Glen Parva (County Arms) and Soar Valley Way which is partly closed. Updates here. http://www.leics.gov.uk/A426_Bus_Corridor_Project

Up to date roadworks info here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/leicester/roads/planned
http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-counci ... orks/maps/
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

seaweed wrote:From jct 20 would say best into Lutterworth then straight onto Leicester rather than going over to A6
Thanks seaweed, I'll give it a go.
old one eye wrote:You would be better staying on the M1 to junction 21A to the second junction (A50) and down to the City Centre.
Thanks OOE. I've never tried that junction, I'll keep it as an "open option". By the sounds of it, any direction into the City will be chaotic!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Rizzo wrote:From recent experience, it will clog up and if you can find an alternative route you'd be better off doing so.

Also if you drive into town itself be aware that there are lane restrictions by the Royal Infirmary and Oxford Street, and Newarke Street is reduced lanes so the whole of that area backs up if busy.

There is also the bus lane works on A426 between Glen Parva (County Arms) and Soar Valley Way which is partly closed. Updates here. http://www.leics.gov.uk/A426_Bus_Corridor_Project

Up to date roadworks info here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/leicester/roads/planned
http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-counci ... orks/maps/
Also remember around the ground the inside lane is also closed to traffic from about 12pm so any knock on effects around the city could cause choas around the ground. Walk or cycle is my thought or public transport.
The J21 area is a mare every day of the week at the moment so any closure will cause nightmares on the A46 and Lutterworth Roads.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Blimey, sounds grim out East!
Advice from the wise, please. Mrs G and I normally drive up the A5 via Tamworth and M69, but realised last week the Fosse Park junction was a nightmare and cut up the A47. We usually arrive about 4 hours before the match, park in the Newarke by the theatre, and go shopping, getting to the ground half an hour before gates open.
I now assume that most of that plan could be awry.
Aidez!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.