Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Referees

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: He just hides lol
Mine barks with approval! But she;s a :censored:!!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

I refuse to believe that any professional referee would be biased in any way. Fussy against one team maybe especially when influenced by a home crowd (studies in football have shown this). I did however think Mr Garner was being extremely unfair on our Mele in the first half to levels which I have rarely seen at this level.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

He was dreadful. I watched with a friend who has no interest in rugby and his questions was 'what has the ref got against Leicester" even he could see he was penalising Leicester and not bath for the same offences .
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Butchers Hook
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Butchers Hook »

But she's a :censored:. Ha ha ha. Even better than the actual!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I am probably being stupid but why did Garner give Bath a penalty for a crooked feed? Mele had only done one or two crooked feeds beforehand. Surely it should have just been a free kick?
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

TigerLad wrote:I am probably being stupid but why did Garner give Bath a penalty for a crooked feed? Mele had only done one or two crooked feeds beforehand. Surely it should have just been a free kick?
It doesn't seem to be unusual for a ref to go to a full penalty on the second offence for a crooked feed- it happened in one of the Rugby Championship games yesterday. What I did object to was the subsequent non-sanction against Stringer's even more crooked feed at the other end of the pitch.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Butchers Hook wrote:But she's a :censored:. Ha ha ha. Even better than the actual!
She is a very nice lady dog! Cocker Spaniel - named Maisie!!
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

IRB statement following NZ v SA match
(IRB.COM) Sunday 15 September 2013
printemail

All match official performances are reviewed thoroughly
Following an initial review, the IRB confirms that it was incorrect for referee Romain Poite to issue a yellow card to Bismarck du Plessis in the 17th minute of The Rugby Championship match between New Zealand and South Africa in Auckland on Saturday.
Just as players and coaches make mistakes, the decision was an unfortunate case of human error by the match officials, who, having reviewed the match, fully recognise and accept that they made a mistake in the application of law.
All match official performances are thoroughly reviewed and assessed by the IRB and are considered when appointments are made for future test matches.

So, as I understand, Poite makes a blatant mistake, he gets a public slapping on the wrist (which is very seldom, no ?). Joubert makes about fifteen plus mistakes during a RWC final he is granted a second go during the six nations, during which he can't see the most blatant offside of the millennium. Well, that'll teach Poite a lesson, anyway... :smt011
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Bill W (2) wrote:Greg Garner appeared to referee todays match less than impartially.

This may be down to my red, white and green tinted spectacles.

Nonetheless, head RFU ref poncho Ed Morrison recently quit prematurely.

What needs to be done, and done quickly, to sort out the mess?
The problem I have with blaming referees in professional rugby union, is that it is a sport in which players, teams and coaches deliberately set out to bend the rules, play the referee, or put another way plain cheat. That's the nature of the game. I can't think of another major sport where a single referee is expected to manage a group of 30 players who are generally all looking to seek deliberate illegal advantage at some point, but really on a consistent basis. Teams are literally coached with the aim of getting away with cheating. Tigers are no different. The All blacks are the best team in the world and also the best at cheating.

So I do find it ironic when teams and coaches seek to blame the refereeing standards.
TnA

Post by TnA »

TigerLad wrote:I am probably being stupid but why did Garner give Bath a penalty for a crooked feed? Mele had only done one or two crooked feeds beforehand. Surely it should have just been a free kick?

At the top level, the refs have been told it will (should) be free kick for the first feed, penalty for a second, penalty and yellow card for the third. Don't shoot the messenger.
Forwards win rugby matches.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

TnA wrote:

At the top level, the refs have been told it will (should) be free kick for the first feed, penalty for a second, penalty and yellow card for the third. Don't shoot the messenger.
In which case why was a penalty not given against Stringer and then a yellow card for him?
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

tig1 wrote:
The problem I have with blaming referees in professional rugby union, is that it is a sport in which players, teams and coaches deliberately set out to bend the rules, play the referee, or put another way plain cheat. That's the nature of the game. I can't think of another major sport where a single referee is expected to manage a group of 30 players who are generally all looking to seek deliberate illegal advantage at some point, but really on a consistent basis. Teams are literally coached with the aim of getting away with cheating. Tigers are no different. The All blacks are the best team in the world and also the best at cheating.

So I do find it ironic when teams and coaches seek to blame the refereeing standards.
:smt023

Quite right. I've sinned in a scrum on more than one occasion. Sometimes you get pinged, sometimes you get away with it. Maybe the question that should be asked is how can we simplify the laws of the game, rather than making it ever more complicated for the ref to interpret the action before him?
Cut me and I bleed red, green and white...
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

We could of course go down the road of American football and have eight refs with matching Hankies to throw about, who miss nothing.
We all have to accept that referees will miss some incidents and spot others. All we need is consistency.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

normally I am one of the first to blame the ref but in this instance whilst I think much of his decision making was wrong (no change there) in the case of the feeding he was right (maybe not consistant with the other team but all the same right)

The issue is for Tigers and all teams to get it right - teach the blasted hookers to hook and get the ball in straight - This is after all not a new law it is just that it is for once and at last being enforced and Halleluya to that!!
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

Austin Healey has just called the ref (Martin Fox) 'an absolute disgrace' on TV in his after match summing up of the Gloucester vs Saints game. It appears that a refs performance has again decided the winning team for the second week running.
Last edited by Tweentown on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the rolling maul...and they did