Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Toby off to France? (Maybe)

Post by wardy »

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/197911.html

Can understand Toulon with this probably being Jonny's last season. Toulouse also because they have Beauxis playing fly-half at the moment and he is hardly convincing. Clermont?
Give blood, play rugby!!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toby off to France? (Maybe)

Post by PM76 »

wardy wrote:http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/197911.html

Can understand Toulon with this probably being Jonny's last season. Toulouse also because they have Beauxis playing fly-half at the moment and he is hardly convincing. Clermont?
Think Brock James may be out of contract/ becoming more out of favour at Clermont which could explain their interest.

It will be a tough decision for Toby but I think he will stay for at least 2 more seasons after this one. The prospect of playing in the RWC should sway him and even though he has been poorly treated by Lancaster, he should back his class to make sure he gets the England 10 shirt Floody is easily the best all round 10 in England- Farrell may kick goals better, Burns may do some sublime things but neither of them are the complete package that Floody is. He is only 28 so 2/3 more years at Leicester will give him a chance to play in a RWC and compete for some silverware as club captain and then he will be 31 which is young enough to get a lucrative 3 year deal in France.

A couple of years also gives Tigers time to develop Williams into a top class replacement!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Emotion is taking over from common sense..
As it is highly unlikely Toby is in Stancasters mindset, if you were offered a fortune to play in a lovely City with superb weather, what would you do !!!????
I''ll bet a £ to a penny he wont be here next season..
Let us hope Ryan and Owen come up trumps..
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I think he will stay for another year or two at least. He has been made captain at the most successful club in England and that is quite an incentive to stay.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Hope I am wrong but at the end of the day money talks, Toby is human and I suspect that he will be made an offer he simply cannot afford to turn down irrespective of Tigers and England.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

To Clermont with cockers? :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Complete non story, headlines along the lines of "Woman has Baby".
Of course he is being monitored - that's normal business for top clubs.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

I was told at the weekend that this is definitely happening. The words "done deal" we're used.

I know this is a bit 'Chinese whispers' but it came from Mike Teague's nephew that Toby is off to France, who allegedly knows him well.

I'm aware this sounds a bit hollow, I just wanted to point out that I'd heard the news before the printed story came out.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Grannyman wrote:I was told at the weekend that this is definitely happening. The words "done deal" we're used.

I know this is a bit 'Chinese whispers' but it came from Mike Teague's nephew that Toby is off to France, who allegedly knows him well.

I'm aware this sounds a bit hollow, I just wanted to point out that I'd heard the news before the printed story came out.
Anyone sane knows that SL will play Farrell until our exit from the WC pool, if not him, then Burns, and if not him, anyone who SL coached as a junior or came from RL or is related to the Farrells.
NOT Toby.
I expect Toby to go at the end of the season, almost certainly as a Wilko replacement.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Done some digging and it seems the smart money is 120% on Toulon.............now losing George might really bite us very hard. Lets hope there isnt a bigger exodus if we fail in the Heineken....again.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

If this is true we need to start giving Williams some decent gametime methinks! :smt035
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

If this is true we need to start giving Williams some decent gametime methinks!
I think that will be the yard stick of whether Flood's off or not, whether he gets game time. Billy was under played when we knew he was off and so was Ford. What's the use in giving a player development time when he's off?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

jonnyatom5 wrote:
If this is true we need to start giving Williams some decent gametime methinks!
I think that will be the yard stick of whether Flood's off or not, whether he gets game time. Billy was under played when we knew he was off and so was Ford. What's the use in giving a player development time when he's off?
Because he's the best 10 we have & therefore our best chance of silverware this season - regardless of where he is next season !

Hopefully he will stay & continue as club captain for several years, but if he chooses to go then wish him well - he's always given us 100% :smt023
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

So now Owen's arrival makes sense then..........
Heavens, management thinking ahead whatever next !!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ford was Plan A he left, so Williams was signed as Plan B and I agree he needs to be developed and have as many starts as possible this season. Fingers crossed that he can and will realise his undoubted potential and serve us well for the future at Tigers. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity