Valhalla I am coming!
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Sarries money back guarantee!

Post by cidermark »

Probably the only way they can entice supporters to the ground! :smt003

Pretty much a win-win for them,
a) they get to boast to the sponsors/advertisers that they can fill their ground,
b) they know how loyal any travelling Glaws supporters are and that they are very unlikely to bet against their own team, so if Saffers win they've got the gate money from the supporters that otherwise would have stayed at home and, finally,
c) if Glaws do happen to beat the Saffers, OK they may not get any gate money but they've still got the beer & pie money!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'll probably be slatted for saying it nut 'fair play' to Saracens for making the offer. If I was a Gloucester fan I'd be happy with that.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Can Sarries fans buy Gloucester tickets and bet on Sarries to win therefore seeing the game for free ? Just a thought.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

"Saracens are offering Bath fans a unique opportunity to get their money back if Gavin Henson scores a point during the top of the table clash at Allianz Park on Sunday"

This latest Sarries special reaks of desperation, even with their last money back guarantee the crowd was a meagre 7500 :smt001
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

sapajo wrote:"Saracens are offering Bath fans a unique opportunity to get their money back if Gavin Henson scores a point during the top of the table clash at Allianz Park on Sunday"

This latest Sarries special reaks of desperation, even with their last money back guarantee the crowd was a meagre 7500 :smt001
Must be tempting for Bath to give Henson a relatively simple goal kick!

An interesting way of attempting to boost the crowd- can't see it working myself but at least they are trying.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I don't think we should knock it. Because of out history and success, we are in the happy position of big, guaranteed crowds. Sarries are not. I am in favour of anything that will build crowds across the premiership. The more who watch, the healthier our game is.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

The Glaws match offer has a little more class to it (not saying it is classy though) - the Henson one, is, well, a little bit rude and lacking in any class....

As much as I hope the perma tanned celebrity wannabe totally fails and falls flat on his face, I kinda hope he scores v Sarries now....
Less is more....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The Henson thing is Sarries through and through - lacking any sporting decency whatsoever.
Valhalla I am coming!
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

So Tacky, So Sarries. :smt009
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

would this be classed a prize competition? or a bet which in turn would require a license from fromthe gambling commission....?
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

northerntiger wrote:I don't think we should knock it. Because of out history and success, we are in the happy position of big, guaranteed crowds. Sarries are not. I am in favour of anything that will build crowds across the premiership. The more who watch, the healthier our game is.

Wrong kind of crowd. It does not add the the health of the game to have rude, disrespectful marches to the ground/ crowd the tunnel entrance so that the 37 travelling fans appear on TV ; a "fat lady" singing to attempt to humiliate a losing team. Saracens are attempting to remodel the game into an "entertainment experience" because they cannot attract rugby supporters to their club. They boast about filling Wembley but this only happens because they give tens of thousands of free tickets away and few of the beneficiaries of this largesse return.

Every thing about them is tacky and unpleasant.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I would like to agree with you, Old Hob, but at the end of the day very few clubs are financially viable, and we need bodies through the turnstiles. I dislike the Saracens way as well, but there are only so many 'proper' rugby fans to go round. If the sugar daddies pulled out, I think we would be playing in a league of 1
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

northerntiger wrote:I would like to agree with you, Old Hob, but at the end of the day very few clubs are financially viable, and we need bodies through the turnstiles. I dislike the Saracens way as well, but there are only so many 'proper' rugby fans to go round. If the sugar daddies pulled out, I think we would be playing in a league of 1
I am happy to be corrected, but at the moment, that would be Saints wouldn't it, as we are making a bit of a loss paying for the North stand. Taking a a view over the last 5+ seasons, it would be a league of 2, us and Saints.

Winning every week would get boring after a while, even when it was Saints we were beating :smt036 :smt002
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Could the Sarries approach not be construed as influencing the outcome of a game? I haven't thought through all the permutations of the Henson 'bet' or what Sarries might come up with next. But consider the following scenario.

Bath are a lot of points down to Sarries, less than a minute on the clock, no chance of a losing bonus point. They are awarded a penalty and Mr Ford steps aside to let Gav have a punt and save their fans some money. It's an awful kick that falls short and Sarries go the length of the field and score a bonus point try.

Yes, unlikely and far fetched but imagine how miffed you'd feel at the end of the season if your team missed out to Sarries on a play off or European qualification by a single point!!

Something that may not have happened without the incentive of the 'bet'.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.