Croft Out!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croft Out!!

Post by TigerLad »

I would start with Gibson at 6 against Barf. Real back to the walls stuff on Saturday. I won't lie though, I still have it in the back of my head that this is all a trick Cockers is playing and that Manu, YBY, Flood and Croft are all fit to play. Sadly this isn't true...
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I didn't even notice he got an injury. Was he hobbling when he went off on Sunday? At the back of the Cat Stand.... sorry North stand, it's a long way off!

You have to feel sorry for TC, he certainly get's the bad ones. :smt022
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

AM COMPLETELY GUTTED - HOWEVER - Going to put myself in the firing line here - Tom Croft is one of the best rugger players in the premiership - that said over the past couple of years he has had one horrific injury to his neck, now this - if i was Tom i'd start considering what is important in life - my health or continuous abuse of my body........ guys he's not getting any younger...... sorry Tom i am one of your biggest supporters but am concerned that you need to think of your future now
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I agree that he needs to take his long term health into consideration but if he can make a full recovery I have no doubt we will see him playing again. If you can comeback after an injury that had you close to paralysis and play like he did then he can definitely make another come back and find form. He is 27 so not that old and hopefully has a few good years left yet.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I know its early to speculate if there will be a dispensation signing but I would love to see Pablo Matera come in as cover, he is a 20 year old No.6 who is still playing in Argentina but has been playing for them in this years Rugby Championship, he looks like a great prospect
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

ACL recovery is usually straightforward but lengthy. Tom's absence from the game may give his other niggling injuries (that nearly all professional rugby players carry) a chance to clear up, too.

IMHO, now is probably not the time to be considering retirement - it depends how his rehabilitation goes.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

With Gibson a 6 and a half built in the Croft mode and Mafi on the scene it wouldn't surprise me to see them try and get another out and out 7 Liam Gill would be nice.
I agree with the earlier poster that wonderful player that Tom is he has never really regained his form on a consistent level that he had prior to his neck injury
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

kpj tiger wrote:I know its early to speculate if there will be a dispensation signing but I would love to see Pablo Matera come in as cover, he is a 20 year old No.6 who is still playing in Argentina but has been playing for them in this years Rugby Championship, he looks like a great prospect
One thing is for sure it will not be a name and not a like for like replacement :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
leic

Post by leic »

Absolutely gutted for such an amazing player who always puts his body on the line. These boys need more rest.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

MJ Chairman wrote: I agree with the earlier poster that wonderful player that Tom is he has never really regained his form on a consistent level that he had prior to his neck injury
I'd say the form he has shown after his neck injury has been the best of his career to date (though it was only a short period). His dry spell was after the 2009 Lions' tour.

Geoff Parling and Mat Tait prove that consecutive, and lengthy, time out for injury can do wonders! Hopefully the same will be true for Croft.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

leic wrote:Absolutely gutted for such an amazing player who always puts his body on the line. These boys need more rest.
its nothing to do with rest, knee ligament injuries can happen at any time, just from studs getting caught as you try to turn
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MJ Chairman wrote:With Gibson a 6 and a half built in the Croft mode and Mafi on the scene it wouldn't surprise me to see them try and get another out and out 7 Liam Gill would be nice.
I agree with the earlier poster that wonderful player that Tom is he has never really regained his form on a consistent level that he had prior to his neck injury
Doubt we could get Liam Gill, on the other hand i wonder if Craig Newby could pull some strings and get Adam Thompson to come over from Japan
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

How many of the Lions have come back with an injury or a potential weakness?
I feel sorry for Croftie, but he did look like an injury waiting to happen on Saturday, going down several times.
Every season it's the same story..... but we usually come up trumps by play-off time.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Internationals and Lions crock our players, deplete our chances of defending our premiership defence and deny us supporters the privilege that we have paid good money for to see our "star players" in action. Not to mention the impact on the players and Tigers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Absolutely gutted for TC. He will be a big miss for us and we had better hope and pray we don't lose any more key back-row players. I'm sure Saracens/Northampton/Quins players went training this morning with an extra spring in their step after hearing the news.

I'm afraid I disagree with the anti-Lions sentiments. TC only played half a season last year after his amazing effort to return from his neck injury - if anything the Lions Tour probably helped his conditioning. As others have noted ACL injuries can occur at any moment.

Reading up on ACL injuries it appears he will definitely miss all the season and rehab can lead to complete recovery in some instances, but not all. Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

I know it is only one game but I think Bath away takes on extra significance now. Win tomorrow and we should be off to a 3W 0L start that gives us some momentum. Good result tomorrow will lift the squad and fans. I'd prefer TC in the team but last season showed we can manage without him, but it is a long season and there will be plenty more injuries to Tigers and other players...