Wuss this weekend

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Wuss this weekend

Post by tigerburnie »

Now I know we don't start till Sunday, but here we are first game coming up and no discussion, is everyone on holiday?
We've had some good feedback from the Ulster game, so I'd have thought we'd have had a few "team sheets" up by now.
For me the second row will be the biggest battle for places this year. I expect Parling to be a cert starter, who's along side him, the vice captain or Slates, or Kitch? Tough call.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wuss this weekend

Post by tigerburnie »

Seems Luke Pearce will be "sir"
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I think it will be something like this.
15. Morris
14. Thompstone
13. Hepetema
12. Allen
11. Goneva
10. Lamb
9. Mele
8. Crane
7. Salvi
6. Croft
5. Parling
4. Slater
3. Cole
2. T Youngs
1. Mulipola
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerburnie wrote:For me the second row will be the biggest battle for places this year. I expect Parling to be a cert starter, who's along side him, the vice captain or Slates, or Kitch? Tough call.
Kitch won't be playing on Sunday. Read the third paragraph from the bottom here.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="BJ."][quote="tigerburnie"]For me the second row will be the biggest battle for places this year. I expect Parling to be a cert starter, who's along side him, the vice captain or Slates, or Kitch? Tough call.[/quote]Kitch won't be playing on Sunday. Read the third paragraph from the bottom [url=http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... z2e1uGo8vf]here[/url].[/quote]

Not sure that Slates is available yet either - so I think it will be Deaks with Parling to start, and maybe De Chaves or Steeve on the bench.
Also, not sure the new chap will start at centre - Goneva at centre, with Bubbles on the wing.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

IMO:

Hamilton, Morris, Thompstone
Allen, Goneva (Would prefer Bowden to play in the centres with AA with them switching roles in attack and defence but think that's unlikely)
Mele, Williams/ Lamb (I like the look of Williams and Cockers has been v. positive about him, but suspect Lamb will start)
Mulipola, Youngs, Cole
Deacon (C), Parling
Croft, Crane, Salvi

Briggs, Stankovich, Schuster, Mafi (Slater if fit), Waldrom/ Gibson (too tough to call, but a great decision to have to make!), Harrison, Williams, Bowden/ Hepetema)

Hopefully it will be 5 points to start the season but I think Wuss could be tough be break down initially with it being Ryan's first game. Wouldn't be surprised if the scoreline is similar to the match at this time last season with Wuss scoring a couple of tries. While the back line has a few injuries, that is as strong as the starting 8 will be for the next 6 weeks, IMO Deacon offers as much if not more than Slater and Kitchener at the minute although by the end of the season the pecking order could be very different, and it should be too good for the Warriors.

Looking forward to seeing the 2 Ms in Morris and Mele, those two could be the "bolters" in the backs this year, alongside Williams. It may seem like a long shot but I wouldn't be surprised if Niall is playing for Ireland come the 6 Nations or summer tour, if he stays fit.

:smt027
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Sorry - can't agree about Deacon . If fit Slater is by far the better player these days , some of his displays last season were really top drawer . I'm afraid I would go with Waldrom over Crane as well .
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Is Hamilton fit? Pulled up sat, looked like a hamstring
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I think the team will look like
1. Mulipola
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Deacon
5. Parling
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Mele
10. Lamb
11. Hamilton/Goneva depending on fitness
12. Allen/Bowden
13. Goneva/Allen
14. Thompestone
15. Morris

16. Briggs
17. Bristow
18. Balmain
19. De Chaves
20. Gibson
21. Harrison
22. Williams
23. Bowden/Hepetema
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

mike wrote:Sorry - can't agree about Deacon . If fit Slater is by far the better player these days , some of his displays last season were really top drawer . I'm afraid I would go with Waldrom over Crane as well .
Not sure about Slater being far the better player, but I would play him as well if he was fit considering that he is likely to be around a lot longer than Deacon.

Not sure where your argument for Waldrom over Crane comes in - at the end of last season Crane's form was almost back to his best, and much better than Waldrom's form.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I guess it's nice that we are in a position of not knowing who to select from, the last two seasons I was looking for my boots in case I got a call, so thin was our squad.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Does the team have to be published at Midday Friday even for a Sunday fixture?

Is Jumbo still around to give us the details before we see them elsewhere?
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

He is still around...
Leicester Tigers (v Worcester Warriors, Welford Road, Sunday 2pm)
15 Niall Morris
14 Vereniki Goneva
13 Anthony Allen
12 Dan Bowden
11 Adam Thompstone
10 Ryan Lamb
9 David Mele
1 Logovi'i Mulipola
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Louis Deacon (c)
5 Geoff Parling
6 Tom Croft
7 Julian Salvi
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 Neil Briggs
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Fraser Balmain
19 Ed Slater
20 Thomas Waldrom
21 Ben Youngs
22 Owen Williams
23 Manusamoa Tuilagi
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

kpj tiger - very good
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Jumbo wrote:He is still around...
Leicester Tigers (v Worcester Warriors, Welford Road, Sunday 2pm)
15 Niall Morris
14 Vereniki Goneva
13 Anthony Allen
12 Dan Bowden
11 Adam Thompstone
10 Ryan Lamb
9 David Mele
1 Logovi'i Mulipola
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Louis Deacon (c)
5 Geoff Parling
6 Tom Croft
7 Julian Salvi
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 Neil Briggs
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Fraser Balmain
19 Ed Slater
20 Thomas Waldrom
21 Ben Youngs
22 Owen Williams
23 Manusamoa Tuilagi
Pleased to see Allen and Bowden together, even more pleased to see Youngs and Tuilagi on the bench, but I'm sure I won't be the only the poster not to be surprised if they drop out minutes before kick-off. Think that side will get the 4 points comfortably simply on the basis of the pack, just hoping they get the 5.

Agree with tigerburnie that it is a luxury to be deciding whether to play Deacon/ Slater/ Kitchener, or Crane/ Waldrom, or Mafi/ Croft etc. IMO the squad depth is superb this year and will be a huge asset.

Anticipation is building, can't wait!!
Last edited by PM76 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.