Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Injury news

Post by kingol22 »

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... z2VoF7MmDp

Not good news although doesnt sound overly serious. Good to see the Lions had player welfare at the front of their minds :smt011
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Injury news

Post by RWA »

I'm struggling to see the point here. We all know that rugby players in the modern era are pretty much stuck together with tape & stitches and that the physio is the most important member of any club, ensuring that players with 'niggles' can get a pain-kiling injection and play for 65 mins week in week out.

So you jet off to Australia, with your niggles from the hard season that you've had and you are of course desperate to play. Given the competition of a tour such as this, playing and playing well is the only thing that will get you selected above your rival for that position, so you will do absolutely anything to play, including playing when you have a knock.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

RWA wrote:I'm struggling to see the point here. We all know that rugby players in the modern era are pretty much stuck together with tape & stitches and that the physio is the most important member of any club, ensuring that players with 'niggles' can get a pain-kiling injection and play for 65 mins week in week out.

So you jet off to Australia, with your niggles from the hard season that you've had and you are of course desperate to play. Given the competition of a tour such as this, playing and playing well is the only thing that will get you selected above your rival for that position, so you will do absolutely anything to play, including playing when you have a knock.
I don't think Cockers is complaining that they were played because he understands how important a Lions test cap is. He is just saying that it is frustrating that they will not be available for selection.
johnrogerlatics

Post by johnrogerlatics »

RWA wrote:I'm struggling to see the point here. We all know that rugby players in the modern era are pretty much stuck together with tape & stitches and that the physio is the most important member of any club, ensuring that players with 'niggles' can get a pain-kiling injection and play for 65 mins week in week out.

:smt017 interesting comment regarding pain killing injections .. I am not sure what era you played in .. I am sure you must have played .. but I think if you do your research you will find that pain killing injections are illegal in rugby union and in any instance where they are administered they need to be approved by prior arrangement by a governing body and submitted to the drug testing powers that be...... just saying !!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

RWA wrote:I'm struggling to see the point here.
The point is that they were played whilst knowingly injured. Players carers are getting shorter and playing whilst injured is a sure way to increase the likelihood of early retirement.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

What is the latest news on Tait's fitness and when is he likely to be back in action?

According the the Mercury back in Aug he travelled to France for the opening friendly and hoped to participate in that game. If that was the case why has he still not featured - set back recovering from ankle surgery?
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Toby Flood confirmed as unavailable for this weekend and probably next weekend as well.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -blow.html
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

There was also an article in the Telegraph earlier in week:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... arnes.html

Knocks like this are not good news for anyone and this the sescond time for Flood in the last few months. Possible long term damage is worrying.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I'm sure that the club & player are fully aware of these things & will give him plenty of time & tests to judge his abilty to play as & when Toby feels himself ready to do so.

Fear not Tigers have a history of looking after players who suffer certain injuries & do more than most to get the best possible advice from every angle regarding how best to move forward.

Thats what makes The Tigers the club that it is.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

Oh I know the club will look after Flood, but too many severe knocks to the head is going to do no-one any good in the long term. Just as well the LRI is just across the road!!