Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Ulster friendly

Post by biffer »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
SilebyTiger wrote:Tuohy did a similar thing for Ireland in the summer. Might give you an idea of what happened.

http://balls.ie/rugby/fergus-mcfadden-try-gif/
Yep, I've seen that before SilebyTiger, and whilst it is further evidence of an illegal way of making ground I still wouldn't say conclusively that he 'intended' (as in went out) to specifically 'hurt' Flood. If there was video available to watch again and again then maybe I'd think differently, who knows?!

I believe Tuohy also did similar to Marcelo Bosch when Ulster played Biarritz a couple of years ago (2011 :smt017) , but I can't remember if it was a leading arm then too, and cannot find videos online.

Of course, the way he tries to make ground leading with the arm is illegal and he is being reckless as it is likely (probable) to result in injury to the player.

I haven't doubted or questioned that anywhere, anytime, and it should, without doubt, be dealt with.

For the record, when it happened I wanted Tigers to dish out some 'Old School' treatment, but that was based on the resulting injury to Flood and his subsequent removal from the pitch. It is a dangerous way to play, but I won't guess what was going on in his head - because I don't know, and I probably never will.

The only thing I saw around this incident that may show intent was a 'low-5' that happened afterwards between Tuohy and Johann Muller as Flood was being treated. But, even that could just have been a captain showing solidarity with one of his players.
The one on Bosch was poor tackling technique from the frenchie. He got his head in front of Tuohy's legs and got a knee in the temple.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoHeijYIi ... YoHeijYIig

The one against Canada looks deliberate, given he looks at the player, changes direction and then smashes him with his elbow / forearm.

I wasn't at the Ulster game so can't sy what happened. But

1. Tuohy has form
2. This is creeping into the game and needs to be dealt with.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Apologies for calling it a tackle, I should have said hand-off, getting excited in my old age. However, the point is that it was wrong, and Tuohy has history.
Not only should he be punished, but action should be taken on the issue of the high tackle by the authorities! We have cameras everywhere these days, so most offences are dealt with after the event, but until referees take action, maybe directed to do so, nothing will change.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There were a couple of cameras recording the match so guess that this may be requested by the authorities for review.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

biffer wrote:The one on Bosch was poor tackling technique from the frenchie. He got his head in front of Tuohy's legs and got a knee in the temple.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoHeijYIi ... YoHeijYIig

The one against Canada looks deliberate, given he looks at the player, changes direction and then smashes him with his elbow / forearm.

I wasn't at the Ulster game so can't sy what happened. But

1. Tuohy has form
2. This is creeping into the game and needs to be dealt with.
Thanks for the clarification on the Bosch Bosh Biffer.

OK, can see your (the) point on the one when playing for Ireland, can see how it is viewed that way.

Was he cited for it? If so what was the outcome of the hearing? (Just to be clear, I'm not throwing that as a direct challenge to you Biffer, I am genuinely interested.) I think he should've been but doubt he was.

Agree with your other points Biffer, it does need to be dealt with. Never argued against that.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tigerbeat wrote:There were a couple of cameras recording the match so guess that this may be requested by the authorities for review.
Hopefully this would be the case but, as it was a 'friendly' does that not depend on whether or not Tigers cite the incident/player?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I think the photographic evidence is clear that Tuohy was definately not wearing a green, red and white shirt with a Tigers emblem on, so undoubtedly hanging, drawing and quartering would be too good for him!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sapajo wrote:[quote="TigerCam
When I started playing rugby in the 60's, at the age of 10, at a navy boarding school.
Was that RHS by any chance Tigercam?[/quote]

Yes 1960 to 1964
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerCam wrote:
sapajo wrote:[quote="TigerCam
When I started playing rugby in the 60's, at the age of 10, at a navy boarding school.
Was that RHS by any chance Tigercam?

Yes 1960 to 1964[/quote]

You proceeded me by 6 years :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Sorry to arrive late in a hot debate. I just learned that Toby Flood was badly injured. I wish him a prompt and complete recovery.

Up, Tigers !
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Up, Tigers !
Remy, is this a slip from your normal excellent English, or are you aware that "Up {insert name here}" can be taken as an insult? :smt001
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

I think suffering from a second concussion injury in 12 weeks is extremely worrying.
There is an increased risk of further incidents.
It is possible he could end up like Herring.
I would urge caution with his return to action.
Fingers crossed that he is fit and well soon.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

My theory (as of today only) is that Tigers will not see the citing authorities on this one but will make it clear to our opponents that for the 2 H Cup games Big Tiger will be watching a certain gentleman. Closely.
Tigers - true Champions!
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I don't suppose we will get much news on Toby, unless it is really serious.

With match coming up, Tigers will not confirm anything about their starting line up on Sunday... and Toby will be banned from Tweeting (I seem to recall some months ago Cockers telling Crane that if he tweets about his injured ankle again he will break the other one).

After 2 concussions in 3 months Toby will be getting a lot of looking at.. and rightly so.

I know that generally foul play is judged on its merits, rather than on the injury, if any, caused. I do wonder however if it should be that foul play that could reasonably be expected to cause damage to a players head is in a different (& more serious) category. However bad a broken leg is, it will repair. A brain will not.

It is a hard judgement .. what if a player dips his head at last minute... but these are judgements we have now... deliberate or accidental contact with eye area for example.

We need to do everything to minimise head injuries in the game, and perhaps players would think twice about leading with a forearm if they could expect a serious ban rather than 10 mins in the bin.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

In tonight's mercury, Paul Burke is saying that justice must be done if there is evidence of foul play; Tigers to cite or the authorities to deal with it.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »