Re: Line Up for Jersey Game

Post by Darc Tiger »

Always has something to moan about...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fortysix wrote:What on Gods earth is the point of this futile exercise playing Jersey, apart from some PR exercise for the Channel Island resident Committee member !!

Bonding--------- they can get that on the Queens Road ......
Whats wrong with playing Jersey, a lot of premiership sides have played at least one championship side in their pre-season schedules
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Not moaning, as a ex professional sportsman, I cannot see any earthly reason for playing vastly inferior opposition as a precursor to the tough matches ahead......
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Weren't you moaning last week about us playing Montpellier? Who exactly do you want us to play in pre-season?
fortysix wrote:15-52
Horrible to watch....

IF Montpellier had bothered to kick at least 8 shots in front of goal, heaven knows what the score would have been..

As it was as a Tigers supporter that ranks as one of the worst displays I have ever seen-totally embarrassing. we were outclassed, outpaced in every single area. Cant take on board the defence that it is a friendly and early season-why bother to arrange it if this is what was expected.. And nearly all were ''Squad'' members.
We're not going to be able to play teams in our league, so of course anyone we play will be of a different standard. It's not the result that matters in these things, its the fact that you can try out new combinations and get match fit. If they learn one thing only from these matches (and I suspect they'll learn a hell of a lot more than that) it'll be a worthwhile exercise.
Blimey...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester traditionally play this kind of opposition as part of pre-season, going back to the amateur days they used to play a local junior side in the county.
Before the Jersey fixture we used to play Nottingham.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Surely the point of pre season games is to get all the squad using the calls\moves\drills etc on the rugby field.

Thought the Montpellier game will have given us a look at a side ready for league action and a good idea of what to expect in the HC. The Jersey game came at the end of "boot camp" week and will have helped loosen the players up from that and get them warmed up for what will be a fairly competitive game against Ulster (another HC opponent).

As far as I can see a good programme of games to prepare Tigers for the off on Sept 8th against Worcester (if they can get a new coach by then...rumour has it they will be travelling in each others cars..)
St John Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by St John Tiger »

fortysix wrote:Not moaning, as a ex professional sportsman, I cannot see any earthly reason for playing vastly inferior opposition as a precursor to the tough matches ahead......
This was not a Jersey team that has been playing for a long time together, as we have made many new signings. so it was just as important for them to get some match day experience as a squad. Why don't you stop making negative comments when your views aren't wanted or valid.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

St John Tiger wrote:
fortysix wrote:Not moaning, as a ex professional sportsman, I cannot see any earthly reason for playing vastly inferior opposition as a precursor to the tough matches ahead......
This was not a Jersey team that has been playing for a long time together, as we have made many new signings. so it was just as important for them to get some match day experience as a squad. Why don't you stop making negative comments when your views aren't wanted or valid.
It’s an open forum and 46 has as much right to make negative unwanted invalid views as anybody else has to air their positive, wanted or appropriate views.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Aren't Jersey in the division immediately below us?
I'd have thought that would be a reasonably competitive standard for a warm up match.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I cannot recall anyone saying that Jersey were unworthy pre-season opponents after we'd played them in a pre-season fixture last year (To be fair I haven't trawled back to last year's threads to check this definitively).

The score last year was Jersey 21 - 34 Tigers.

Maybe We've just got a bit better and ruined pre-season entertainment for some.

I blame Cockers :smt002 :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

fortysix wrote:What on Gods earth is the point of this futile exercise playing Jersey, apart from some PR exercise for the Channel Island resident Committee member !!

Bonding--------- they can get that on the Queens Road ......

I don't know what sports you played professionally or whether it held water in those sports - but tune-up games can be an extremely positive build up procedure in Rugby and, indeed, most contact sports.

It provides a stable stepping stone from training ground to match intensity and allows you to try your moves, shapes, systems and set pieces against an opposition who whilst lacking in the quality of yourselves, do not understand your players and you can begin to gauge the relevance of certain exercises.

I do gather you enjoy being critical of the team for whatever reason but why contradict yourself so entirely? Last match we shouldn't have been playing Montpellier at that stage because it was too hard, and this time it's too easy? I'd prefer to save the grit and fight for towards the end of pre-season. But we'll see how that goes.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The first game gave an indication of how far off the mark Tigers were, playing against tough opposition. It also provided the coaches with areas that needed to be worked on and indicated current fitness levels.

The second game was against easier opposition and gave the team a chance to use moves, practiced in training, in a match situation.

Final game against Ulster should provide a stern test and will good preparation for the first league game.

The lower teams need the games against the premiership clubs for them to improve and the Premiership need some easier games in preparation. If I was a fan of Jersey / Nottingham, I would welcome a match against any of the premiership teams.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The match against Jersey was an excellent run out for both teams. The Friday night barbecue and the "Meet the Tigers" event in the square on Friday lunchtime were successful goodwill ideas that went down well with both sets of fans.
The hospitality and welcome that we visitors received from the Jersey club and residents ensures that should the match be repeated next year it will once again be attended by a good number of Tigers fans.
The only trick we missed was that we should have taken our Premiership trophy to give photo opportunities.