rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Northampton - blind faith or rose coloured spectacles

Post by rocktop51 »

I guess this is no surprise is it? Hartley retained as captain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23617352

Just loved this quote from JM:-

"We certainly believe that he has the temperament to do well under the pressure, and will continue to improve as a player and as a leader.

"Dylan has matured a great deal over the past few years and is now an excellent club captain."
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Northampton - blind faith or rose coloured spectacles

Post by vin rouge »

I liked the fact he promised to be a good boy for England too so Lancaster has picked him. If I could be bothered I would go back to his previous episodes and I'd be pretty confident that he said the same things then. But this time will obviously be different; he means it this time.

:smt002 :smt040
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I am not a fan of the player but in his defence, he got banned for telling the truth.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I am not a fan of the player but in his defence, he got banned for telling the truth.
Not so. He got banned, quite rightly, for abusing the referee. Even if the ref made the wrong decision (debatable) it was not appropriate and contrary to the spirit of the game for him to make the statement he did.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

voice of the crumbie wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I am not a fan of the player but in his defence, he got banned for telling the truth.
Not so. He got banned, quite rightly, for abusing the referee. Even if the ref made the wrong decision (debatable) it was not appropriate and contrary to the spirit of the game for him to make the statement he did.
+1
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

+1
CoalvilleBob

Post by CoalvilleBob »

Obviously deserved his ban but... He's completed it and he's apologized - We move on. A good skipper in my opinion as along as the refs haven't run out of patience with him.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I have the dubious pleasure of working in Northampton, so know lots of Saints fans.

To a man they all think Hartley should be stripped of the Captaincy and Wood should take over.

I think Mallinder is seriously out of touch with his supporters feelings on this!
Soggypitch
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

It appears that JM is not the only deluded one. AS DH says

"That will always hang over me. If we'd had 15 men on the field, we would've won that final." :smt044

For more laughs please visit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23625021
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="rocktop51"]I guess this is no surprise is it? Hartley retained as captain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23617352

Just loved this quote from JM:-

"We certainly believe that he has the temperament to do well under the pressure, and will continue to improve as a player and as a leader.

"Dylan has matured a great deal over the past few years and is now an excellent club captain."[/quote]

To me it says Saints do not see anything wrong in what him did....or should I say what he has continually been doing.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't rate him either as a leader or a particularily good player either, so they have done us a favour having him as leader. I believe Tigers squad vote the captain, if this is the same thing, then he has the teams support. If however he was appointed by Mallinder and West, maybe they are setting him up for a fall when they fail to deliver again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The Saints squad isn't exactly brimming over with candidates for captain at the moment but IMHO Mallinder should have cut his losses and given the armband to Tom Wood last season. Hartley is a liability and with 170 club games under his belt he can hardly blame youthful exuberance at this point.
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

The team no longer picks the captain, it is down to Cockerill.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I don't believe that DH is a good captain. When a team is not performing well, a good captain shows his metal by leading from the front. Too often when things aren't going well, DH goes missing and sulks! He lacks basic leadership skills!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Unbelievable that Hartley is still in denial by persisting that his behaviour and comments were acceptable and justifable because he was aiming them at Tom Youngs. How Mallinder and SL can still accept this clap trap beggars belief when he is demonstrably unrepentent. Its not a question of if he will reoffend but when?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity