Seems Thomas has seriously slimmed down over the pre season

https://twitter.com/george_chuter/statu ... 81/photo/1
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New look TTTE

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Wow, that's some effort! I wonder what the impact of that will be; I thought he was very effective in his first season when he had much more 'padding'.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Maybe cockers has decided that he only needs one big No.8 in Jordan Crane and he wants a more athletic one (Although if that were the case i would have done it the other way around myself), Will be interesting to see the results of this weight loss
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Whilst I would agree he looks to be a lot slimmer I think it not quite what it seems as the picture's aspect ratio appears to be wrong and that it's been stretched a bit vertically. The odd dimensions of the shoes are what gives it a way.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

DickyP wrote:Whilst I would agree he looks to be a lot slimmer I think it not quite what it seems as the picture's aspect ratio appears to be wrong and that it's been stretched a bit vertically. The odd dimensions of the shoes are what gives it a way.
Does this mean someone has pulled the tank? :smt017
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Chimpmagnet

Post by Chimpmagnet »

They all must be on a strict diet look at Louis http://twitter.com/george_chuter/status ... 96/photo/1
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

With regards to the tank, he may have been appraising last season where he was less effective and thought "maybe I should get fitter and leaner" - although his shape has been a source of amusement, and I have to say he has put in some sterling performances whilst carrying that belly, it is a slightly old fashioned shape for a modern back row to be....
Less is more....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It also meant he was less likely to sustain injury. The more ripped you are, the more UNFIT your body is for longevity in contact sports. As I am fond of quoting, this was presaged by Tom McNab (National Athletics coach, and also a rugby coach) at the turn of the 90s. He predicted more soft tissue injuries, more connective injuries and shorter playing careers at the top.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Besides, Waldrom was the fittest player in the squad a couple of seasons ago and, attesting what jg has had to say, he rarely suffers serious injuries.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess it depends how you define fitness?
It's not just about cardiovascular performance.
Speed & strength have to be considered and perhaps it was felt he might get around the park quicker and be more effective if he lost some weight.
I guess that has to be tempered against loss of power.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Seems that camera trickery at work, check out the photo here : http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/17022.php
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mol2 wrote:I guess it depends how you define fitness?
Speed & strength have to be considered and perhaps it was felt he might get around the park quicker and be more effective if he lost some weight.
It may be that, if he has 'trimmed down' a bit he may have converted some 'softer' tissue into muscle and actually not lost any weight :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote:
mol2 wrote:I guess it depends how you define fitness?
It may be that, if he has 'trimmed down' a bit he may have converted some 'softer' tissue into muscle and actually not lost any weight :smt023
Optimum power/weight ratios are different for different sports. TTTE has less of an issue than someone taller and/or with a higher COG since he has to exert less force. Fat cushions, muscle bleeds.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote:It also meant he was less likely to sustain injury. The more ripped you are, the more UNFIT your body is for longevity in contact sports. As I am fond of quoting, this was presaged by Tom McNab (National Athletics coach, and also a rugby coach) at the turn of the 90s. He predicted more soft tissue injuries, more connective injuries and shorter playing careers at the top.
Ah so that explains why I got so many injuries - I was in too good a shape!!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote:
jgriffin wrote:It also meant he was less likely to sustain injury. The more ripped you are, the more UNFIT your body is for longevity in contact sports. As I am fond of quoting, this was presaged by Tom McNab (National Athletics coach, and also a rugby coach) at the turn of the 90s. He predicted more soft tissue injuries, more connective injuries and shorter playing careers at the top.
Ah so that explains why I got so many injuries - I was in too good a shape!!
Absolutely - fat knees are essential for fat boys!!!!!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95