Wallabies v Lions - 3rd Test

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Wallabies v Lions - 3rd Test

Post by BJ. »

After Saturday morning's disappointment, we now have around five days to worry about what Gatland is going to do. The Aussies will be on a high and I've a horrible feeling they'll take the final Test by 10 points.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wallabies v Lions - 3rd Test

Post by GT1 »

But Mr Poite will surely save us BJ :smt023
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Poite will only be able to save us if Corbs or Grant starts.

Warburton confirmed as ruled out due to injury.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

G.K wrote:Warburton confirmed as ruled out due to injury.
Here's the confirmation.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Link for Warburton news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23111990. My favourite replacement would have to be Tipuric, the best 7 left in the squad IMHO and we will definitely need one.

The momentum is now firmly with Aus, we need to shake up the attacking options with some changes to effect their mind-set. Manu is an obvious option, Roberts has to be considered even though he has also been under-performing prior to his injury. BOD looked poor in the 2nd test (heresy I know), making 2 howlers in the 2nd half to set up attacking moves for Aus - the first (a very loose pass) came close to a try, the second (an aimless kick) led eventually to a try. Corbs to shore up the scrum, and Cole made a huge impact on Saturday so why not give him a start?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Phillips and Roberts will play if fit I would guess. I think he probably sticks with BOD at 13, although IMO Davies should get the nod there.

Corbisisiero at LH. And I think a fair chance Parling is is replaced at LH lock by Gray.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I think BOD has to start - there are limited options for captain otherwise. Don't think Parling is an option for captain, there will be enough pressure to get the line out right.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tig1 wrote:Phillips and Roberts will play if fit I would guess. I think he probably sticks with BOD at 13, although IMO Davies should get the nod there.

Corbisisiero at LH. And I think a fair chance Parling is is replaced at LH lock by Gray.
I think the series is already lost, almost totally due to poor selection before and during, NOT injuries.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If Aus get an early lead I can't see the Lions playing catch up successfully if they continue with the current negative selection policy. Could be a substantial loss.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

tig1 wrote:Phillips and Roberts will play if fit I would guess. I think he probably sticks with BOD at 13, although IMO Davies should get the nod there.
I thought Davies was really poor too on saturday. Really lame tackle for their try, and one of the worst grubber kicks you will ever see.
The possesion and territory stats show how poor we were on the weekend, and you have to remember this Aussie team is nothing special. A performance like that against the All Blacks could of been quite embarrasing.
Some of Gatlands decisions are just baffling. Everyone could see that Mako was going to be pinged in the scrums, rightly or wrongly. The media have made such a big deal about his scrummaging all week, the referee clearly reads the papers. Gatland clearly has no faith in Farrell what so ever, hence leaving him unused on the bench, which begs the question "Why take him?"
O'Brien and Faletau have been great when given the chance, and surely deserve a crack this weekend.I hope we can turn it around, but the momentum is firmly with the Aussies.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For me the team should go something like this
1. Corbs
2. Youngs
3. Jones
4. A W Jones
5. Parling
6. Lydiate
7. Tipuric
8. Falateau
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Tuilagi
13. BOD (C)
14. Bowe
15. Halfpenny

16. Vunipola
17. Hibbard
18. Cole
19. Croft
20. O'Brien
21. Murray
22. Farrell
23. Zebo/Maitland
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Unfortunately they were unable to replace Vunipola because Grant contributes even less that Jones in the loose. It would be like defending with 13 men.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would start with Croft at 6 and put Gray on the bench, Lydiate didn't offer enough of a threat and we definately need Manu in the squad to cause the Aussies to have to think a bit.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I think Vunipola is being unfairly maligned on here and elsewhere and Brian Moore agrees; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ttery.html

With Polite in charge next week we should have a differenr scenario at scrum time.

i would play a backrow of O'Brien, Croft and Falatau.
I would also play BOD at 13 and either Manu or Roberts at 12 depending who looks sharpest in training.

One thing's for sure we need to attack the Ausies next week, damage limitation is not good enough, they are only an average international team and we can beat them if selection and tactics are spot on.
Soggypitch
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Soggypitch wrote:I think Vunipola is being unfairly maligned on here and elsewhere and Brian Moore agrees; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ttery.html

With Polite in charge next week we should have a differenr scenario at scrum time.
You're right. With Poite in charge, it's likely to be Jones penalised for binding on the arm. He refuses to bind properly and, at times, his hand was essentially inside the prop's sleeve and at his shoulder!

I have to say Vunipola improved as the game went on but did take the scrum down immediately (giving the Australian's no chance to scrummage illegally!) on a few occasions in the first 20 minutes.