Wallabies v Lions - 3rd Test

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wallabies v Lions - 3rd Test

Post by Richard »

It will be a struggle to win in the last quarter of the match as Wales have proved through the last few years. They tend to be only able to play for 60 minutes, except when the are playing England in Cardiff. The first test was a very lucky win for the lions.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
beech

Post by beech »

What I find mystifying about the teams for the three tests is the number of changes Gatland has made. Surely a settled team, injuries permitting, is essential for a Lions team so that players can build up partnerships. The number of unforced changes indicates that WG does not know his best team, which doesn't reflect very well on his ability as a coach.
tf22
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I feel sorry for Tipuric. He is the one welshman I would have started. A balanced back row of Tipuric, Heaslip and Croft would have given the Australians something to think about, as the Lions back row just hasn't functioned so far.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Bowden Tiger wrote:I feel sorry for Tipuric. He is the one welshman I would have started. A balanced back row of Tipuric, Heaslip and Croft would have given the Australians something to think about, as the Lions back row just hasn't functioned so far.
I was just thinking the same thing, but with 10 welsh-men already on the team sheet, even WG probably felt a sop to the other nations was needed. SOB got lucky.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Hooper is going to have a field day against that back row, they're all hard-working but ponderously slow lumps. With no Cole and two fairly lightweight locks the Lions simply aren't going to see more than 30% of the ball. Tipuric must be feeling really hard done by and what exactly has changed between this week and last that means Philips has leapfrogged YBY? Wallabies by 10, this is a squad set up for damage limitation rather than a thundering victory.
Last edited by CitizenSmiff on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

beech wrote:What I find mystifying about the teams for the three tests is the number of changes Gatland has made. Surely a settled team, injuries permitting, is essential for a Lions team so that players can build up partnerships. The number of unforced changes indicates that WG does not know his best team, which doesn't reflect very well on his ability as a coach.
I really don't understand why anybody would think this is abnormal for modern Lions.

In 2009 Geech changed nine of the 23 players between the first and second tests. Then something like a further 10 changes between the second and tests.

As for 2005 under SCW, what a shambles. He made something like 14 changes between the first and second tests, even though he had an extra 4 warm up games. I didn't count for the 3rd test as I think even the kit man got a game.

The last settled lions team was 2001 under Henry, when he jettisoned 1/2 the squad from the off. He of course, being a New Zealander, was criticized for claiming to know his best team from the off.

Seems a coach can't win either way.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Who else thinks this selection reeks of panic and desparation. Lions are making 7 changes, the Wallabies will probably make none, or at most 1 or 2 bench changes.

And all the 50/50% calls have gone with Welsh players. Davies has not done much on tour but has started all 3 tests! Ditto Adam Jones, did Cole really have any chance to win the starting birth at 3? And the Wyn-Jones/Parling pair are seriously under-powered. Tipuric on the bench adds no variety over O'Brien/Lydiate combination and he has done little to merit the bench spot. Tough on Heaslip, O'Driscoll and Croft all dropped completely - others have done less and have been retained when there are options available.

And where is the leadership? The first two games have been won by 2 and 1 point. If this is close in the last 2 minutes, we need experience on the field. Where is that going to come from? I just don't see it in the starting XV or the bench. However, I don't believe this will be close in the last 10-15 minutes, so the leadership issue will probably not be an issue.

Of all the recent tours, this one was clearly winnable, and should have been won easily but IMO the thing that has seriously let down the tour has been selection both to the original tour party and the test teams.
Always a Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

This is going to be embarrassing :smt013
Hibbard has shown all tour that his lineout play is not up to the standard required so why is he starting? The scrum is lightweight and will get pushed back so we will have no stable source of ball as both set pieces are going to fail for us.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

The other thing that really struck me last week was the Lions leaving Grant on the bench for the full 80 minutes.

In the modern era, I can't remember many times, particularly in big games, when a prop has been left on the bench for the full 80 minutes. Vunipola struggled in the first half in the scrum and was conceding penalties, Grant wasn't even warming up. In the fourth quarter, Vunipola looked completely out on his feet, Hibbard and Cole were already deployed yet still Grant remained on the bench right until the end.

So my question is, 'Why did the selectors bring him out if they had no confidence in him whatsoever?'. I am sure he must have been asking the very same question. Was he brought out simply to be midweek fodder like Twelvetrees, Wade and Williams but was thrust onto the bench as an emergency?

I have a feeling that there will be lots of media 'leaks' from players post-tour, and quite a few auto-biographies detailing frustrations.
Always a Tiger
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

I was really looking forward to this game but feel a little deflated now. Obviously WG knows what he's doing, but I fear the worst, I just hope we're wrong and he's right...... :smt030
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Tigerpete wrote:I was really looking forward to this game but feel a little deflated now. Obviously WG knows what he's doing, but I fear the worst, I just hope we're wrong and he's right...... :smt030
Post selection, I think I know which team will have an extra spring in their step as they run out in Sydney. And they will be wearing yellow!
Always a Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If Sexton starts kicking away posession we know the game plan is wrong, I hope the players have the wit to play what's in front of them and ditch any half baked plan to live off mistakes, like the likes of the Saffas do.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Gleisondyn

Post by Gleisondyn »

Not convinced,I think the best and more importantly fittest fifteen should start. If Phillips and Roberts aren’t 100% then that’s too much of a risk, if they have to go off and we collect other injuries there could be problems. 10 welsh men in the side? I’m welsh but it should be the best player in that position Tuilagi gets over the line, O’Driscoll has a wealth of experience (and in my view not to be on the bench after the way he has played and service for the Lions in this and past tests lacks respect fro the man) and I would have Cuthbert on the bench. Not just because he is a Blues player but he does score tries. Still after all that if the Lions win it was the right team selection.

Be interesting to see if Campese pops up IF aussies win.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

bluntiger wrote:The other thing that really struck me last week was the Lions leaving Grant on the bench for the full 80 minutes.

In the modern era, I can't remember many times, particularly in big games, when a prop has been left on the bench for the full 80 minutes. Vunipola struggled in the first half in the scrum and was conceding penalties, Grant wasn't even warming up. In the fourth quarter, Vunipola looked completely out on his feet, Hibbard and Cole were already deployed yet still Grant remained on the bench right until the end.

So my question is, 'Why did the selectors bring him out if they had no confidence in him whatsoever?'. I am sure he must have been asking the very same question. Was he brought out simply to be midweek fodder like Twelvetrees, Wade and Williams but was thrust onto the bench as an emergency?

I have a feeling that there will be lots of media 'leaks' from players post-tour, and quite a few auto-biographies detailing frustrations.

I assume Grant was left on the bench because he is the 5th choice loose head after Healy, Jenkins, Mako and Corbs. He is also dreadful around the park. It is next to impossible to plan for getting down to your 5th choice in one position.

Why do you describe Wade and twelvetrees as mid week fodder. They were given an incredible opportunity to play for the Lions, when neither are close to being ready to play in the Tests.
Every lions tours has players arrive from all parts of the world as late call ups, some play in the tests and many don't. In 2009 the same thing happened to players like Gordon Darcy and Tim Payne.
It's how tours work when your more than 10000 miles from home.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

[quote="Tigerpete"]I was really looking forward to this game but feel a little deflated now. Obviously WG knows what he's doing, but I fear the worst, I just hope we're wrong and he's right...... :smt030[/quote]

"Deflated." Yes, that's exactly how I feel. Part of me even wonders if I can bring myself to watch the game. Yet again, missed opportunities that mean we have to wait another 4 years for a Lions series win (against the All Blacks? Yeah, right. So make that 8 years...)