Re: Rebels v Lions

Post by kpj tiger »

Youngs Try !
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Plus he's kicked the conversion, just put his hand up for a test start.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

35-0.
Already the Welsh are barking on about Croft:

"77 mins Nath Jones has some interesting ideas.

Part of Phillips's problem was a lack of protection - especially when the Lions have the ball, Croft ignores the work a blindside should be doing and stands out in the backline. If Lydiate (excellent again today, 15 tackles made and none missed in an hour) was at 6, the breakdown would improve, Warburton would find it easier and Phillips would also improve."
:smt015
1 Pigs might fly
2 Funny how Youngs flourishes alongside Croft, isn't it?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

jgriffin wrote:35-0.
Already the Welsh are barking on about Croft:

"77 mins Nath Jones has some interesting ideas.

Part of Phillips's problem was a lack of protection - especially when the Lions have the ball, Croft ignores the work a blindside should be doing and stands out in the backline. If Lydiate (excellent again today, 15 tackles made and none missed in an hour) was at 6, the breakdown would improve, Warburton would find it easier and Phillips would also improve."
:smt015
1 Pigs might fly
2 Funny how Youngs flourishes alongside Croft, isn't it?
In every team I've been involved with it has been the props responsibility to act as guards at the breakdown. The issue may actually be Adam Jones, magnificent in the scrum but if you look at the stats he makes little contribution in open play. Fewest tackles on either side in the last Test and second least in carrying.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

On the back of this game I'd say only Ben Youngs really made a case for starting the next test.

Manu could be considered if they decide they need more power in mid-field.

Pack did OK but were rather sloppy and greedy at times.

The last try underlined what Croft brings to the line-out if you want to use it as an attacking platform.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I nearly fell off the sofa when Fatty Barnes said there is a strong case for dropping Phillips and starting Youngs
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

The Welsh moaning about not enough Welshmen in a rugby team? That's new!

Lydiate tackles but I don't see how that translates into giving Phillips protection. He's nowhere near as effective as the other Welsh guys in the back row rucking or carrying.

Croft also tackles, and tackles at speed (anyone can dive into someone's ankles and make them fall over from the guard position) but also makes ground, wins line-out ball and makes it awkward for the opposition at the ruck.

Unless Gatland wants to be committed, Croft is the obvious pick.
Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chunter »

77 mins Nath Jones has some interesting ideas.

Part of Phillips's problem was a lack of protection - especially when the Lions have the ball, Croft ignores the work a blindside should be doing and stands out in the backline
Not at all interesting - I've read similar comments elsewhere. He's often described as a show pony.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Agree with most above. Commentators and pundits are really starting to annoy me with the exception of Paul Wallace who keeps it real. A bit unfair to slate Lydiate so much on here at all IMO. Any player who's tackle and ruck count is so high is bound not to be around much to do the flashy stuff. He set's a great platform for others IMO and has a great attitude but he can play given the opportunity. Croft brings something different and if your front five's workrate is good then he is a massive bonus in the loose. Comment above about some greed from some players stands out for me with a some players not contributing much graft. O'Brien was excellent again. I would like to see YBY start the next test. He has kept his head down and performed really well. He obviously has a really good understand with some key test players such as his brother, Parling and Croft and he brings something the party that Phillips does not, unpredictability. Farrell looked good until he started to try and mix his game up, then he lost his head a little on occasions even on the front foot. We always hear about the top two inches being important and I want to see him playing under pressure!
Cheery chappy
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

It was remiss of me not to mention the ref, I thought he had an excellent game.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Croft goes lurking in the wide channels because that's where the coaches have told him to go when we have the ball.

When the coaches make that call there clearly has to be someone else tasked with guarding the breakdown and the coaches will have identified who the "guards" are. Clearly the one person it isn't is Croft as he's been told to make use of his speed and power out wide.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

drc_007 wrote:It was remiss of me not to mention the ref, I thought he had an excellent game.
Agreed, every game i have seen Glen Jackson referee in i have come away being very impressed
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Jackson is already at the top-not difficult when nearly all of tham have never played the game themselves !

It is not hard to suspect that Southern Hemisphere refs will have a vendetta against NH teams , simply because they get slagged off by the Northern media so much, and the fact that SH blazers have probably quietly warned them to toe the party line, ie let the game flow, penalise NH defenders at the breakdown, ignore SH high tackles and stampings, and generally make sure the advantage from the ref to the SH teams is 75/25.....

Bet a lot of you agree !!!