New Kit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: New Kit

Post by Rizzo »

I can never understand why discussion of new kit issue raises such angst and extreme reaction. Surely if you like it (and can afford it) you buy what you want from it. If you hate it, then you don't buy it. Firing arrows back and forth on a messageboard is not likely to make the club change design or provider. :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Rizzo wrote:I can never understand why discussion of new kit issue raises such angst and extreme reaction. Surely if you like it (and can afford it) you buy what you want from it. If you hate it, then you don't buy it. Firing arrows back and forth on a messageboard is not likely to make the club change design or provider. :smt003
I think I can understand it.

What I cannot understand is extreme moderator reaction.

BTW welccme back - trust you had a good break!

:smt002
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

BJ. wrote:
Bunchy wrote:BJ - is that the one without Caterpillar on it? Not sure if this has been asked & answered - but the shop people I asked did not know - why is Caterpillar not on the non playing ones (ie the fat boy shirts)?
That's right. It's this one.

I don't know why Caterpillar doesn't feature on it but I'm not complaining. I prefer to be seen wearing the club colours, not as an advertising board.
The answer is really quite simple (and complicated at the same time). The shirt, although the next best thing to the traditional classic version of the playing shirt , actually isn't one. It's not a cotton replica but a 2nd rate 60/40% cotton/polyester mix and to put a 'Caterpillar' on it would have to be a plastic heat transfer which doesn't attach too well to such a mix. On the old cotton shirts it was another cotton applique sewn on.

Just a complicated way of saying Canterbury aren't doing it because it costs too much - another example of giving us much poorer quality for a much increased price!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Ta DickyP for the explanation. The Mrs and I are sticking to our old shirts for now until the prices come down!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Ta DickyP for the explanation. The Mrs and I are sticking to our old shirts for now until the prices come down!

I just glsd I bought the Lovell version!

:smt006
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:Just a complicated way of saying Canterbury aren't doing it because it costs too much - another example of giving us much poorer quality for a much increased price!
I'm not too sure about poorer quality.

The standard of workmanship in my latest Canterbury classic shirt is superior to some of my Cotton Traders. For example, my 2000-ish Vauxhall-sponsored shirt has the seam on the left side of the body curving towards the front and the central 'CATERPILLAR' applique on my 2010-11 home shirt is offset to one side.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

BJ. wrote:
DickyP wrote:Just a complicated way of saying Canterbury aren't doing it because it costs too much - another example of giving us much poorer quality for a much increased price!
I'm not too sure about poorer quality.

The standard of workmanship in my latest Canterbury classic shirt is superior to some of my Cotton Traders. For example, my 2000-ish Vauxhall-sponsored shirt has the seam on the left side of the body curving towards the front and the central 'CATERPILLAR' applique on my 2010-11 home shirt is offset to one side.
Have to agree the quality seems fine to me
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The cut and standard of the new classic shirts is very good. My problem, which is eluded to by Dicky, is the material. The 60:40 cotton/polyester mix doesn't wear as well in some respects as 100% cotton.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Ta DickyP for the explanation. The Mrs and I are sticking to our old shirts for now until the prices come down!

I just glsd I bought the Lovell version!

:smt006
Bill, is the Lovell one different?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Lovell produced a different "Champions" shirt, which rather than having a large stylised "CHAMP10NS" logo on the back, has a slightly more tasteful embroidered commemoration of the club's success below the club badge on the front (in gold).

Lovell Rugby shirt - extra £1 for the embroidery

Club version - extra £5 for the printing

I'm not a huge fan of either, but if I had to buy one, Lovell would get my cash (as they often do).
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Hot_Charlie wrote:The cut and standard of the new classic shirts is very good. My problem, which is eluded to by Dicky, is the material. The 60:40 cotton/polyester mix doesn't wear as well in some respects as 100% cotton.
Exactly - doesn't iron easily either. Will probably not fade quite as much but then again a faded rugby shirt always used to be the sign that you weren't a newbie/johnny-come-lately. I very much doubt whether I'll be wearing this classic shirt in 8 or 9 years time like my other 100% cotton ones.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Lovell produced a different "Champions" shirt, which rather than having a large stylised "CHAMP10NS" logo on the back, has a slightly more tasteful embroidered commemoration of the club's success below the club badge on the front (in gold).

Lovell Rugby shirt - extra £1 for the embroidery

Club version - extra £5 for the printing

I'm not a huge fan of either, but if I had to buy one, Lovell would get my cash (as they often do).
Sadly, it seems that they only have small left :smt022
Gleisondyn

Post by Gleisondyn »

Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say, I merely pointed the op to a page, with a photo with a shirt without stripes. Secondly how do you know a lot of people didn't like it? There were a lot on show at the ground the following year, so plenty bought them.I still wear mine from time to time, a great era and great memories of a team that put in a great effort to win down in Cardiff.[/quote]

The game you won in Cardiff, is that the game that was a draw and went to kicks over the posts? Martyn Williams missed to send you through
:smt023
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Gleisondyn wrote:Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say, I merely pointed the op to a page, with a photo with a shirt without stripes. Secondly how do you know a lot of people didn't like it? There were a lot on show at the ground the following year, so plenty bought them.I still wear mine from time to time, a great era and great memories of a team that put in a great effort to win down in Cardiff.

The game you won in Cardiff, is that the game that was a draw and went to kicks over the posts? Martyn Williams missed to send you through
:smt023[/quote]

In context with the rest of the chatter leading up, No - the reference was, I believe to the HEC Final win at the Millenium Stadium over Munster :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.