So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Post by BJ. »

fleabane wrote:"After six matches we have arrived at the first Test and have selected our strongest possible side with only Jamie Roberts,Tommy Bowe and Manu Tuilagi unavailable for selection," Lions boss Warren Gatland said. :smt001
Here's the quote.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

No 36, some one hear will be banging the table.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

jonlin wrote:No 36, some one hear will be banging the table.
If Gatland had ever thought Twelvetrees was Test material, surely he would have picked him in the original squad. Billy is only out there to fill the gaps for the dirt trackers.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Shame Manu got injured - I think he would enjoy playing in an international side where there is enough talent around him to give him the space to run.

(Unlike for England where he has Farrell and Barritt to draw the defenders!)

Well done to the Tigers and my prediction of all the Tigers making the 23 falls 1 short at the first test!
Can't wait 'til Cole comes off the bench and shows the difference between a Tiger and a fat lad!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

mol2 wrote:Can't wait 'til Cole comes off the bench and shows the difference between a Tiger and a fat lad!
I'd like to see Cole coming on before Vunipola and Hibbard as I think a front row of Corbisiero, Youngs, and Cole is the best we've got.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

mol2 wrote:Shame Manu got injured - I think he would enjoy playing in an international side where there is enough talent around him to give him the space to run.

(Unlike for England where he has Farrell and Barritt to draw the defenders!)

Well done to the Tigers and my prediction of all the Tigers making the 23 falls 1 short at the first test!
Can't wait 'til Cole comes off the bench and shows the difference between a Tiger and a fat lad!
Manu's time will come in these Tests
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Tom Youngs must be on top of the world, from Bedford to the Lions Test team in three years, if this was a sport anybody actually cared about the kid would have films made about him by now. The team in general is pretty solid although who knows what footage Gatland's been watching that makes Cuthbert look good, Ioane and Folua will eat him alive.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

who knows what footage Gatland's been watching that makes Cuthbert look good,
I agree` but then looking at who's actually in the squad the only direct alternatives are Zebo (too inexperienced), Williams (past it), and Wade (too inexperienced), oh and Maitland who is on the bench, clearly isnt preferred to the starters and who hasnt had a great tour defensively, and who presumably is also covering FB.

Other than that its playing people out of prime position so Manu (injured, need to protect him for when the Centres fall apart), Kearney (fragile after injury and much better at FB), Hogg (a third position on this tour??), or I suppose bring in Kearney or Hogg and play Halfpenney on the wing. Hmm, I can kinda see why Cuthbert got to start but I'm not impressed with this part of Gatland's squad selection.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

So 5 tigers in the 23, out of a total of 8 Englishmen, the most represented club (next has 3) and only 4 Irishmen and 1 Scot

Supporting all who are wearing the red shirt on Saturday but immense pride in the club, the ethos, and the academy.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

BJ. wrote:
jonlin wrote:No 36, some one hear will be banging the table.
If Gatland had ever thought Twelvetrees was Test material, surely he would have picked him in the original squad. Billy is only out there to fill the gaps for the dirt trackers.
Should have been "some on hear" not "some one hear". Billy is not a love child of mine.
El Guapo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by El Guapo »

Quote: Who knows what footage Gatland's been watching that makes Cuthbert look good!

Wales v England perhaps?
Cardiff Blues Supporter
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

El Guapo wrote:Quote:
Wales v England perhaps?
IIRC he ran in some good tries that day, so good finishing, but not much more - each of the tries was in reality made elsewhere on the pitch. IMHO he got a lot of praise for other people's work that day.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

jonlin wrote:Should have been "some on hear" not "some one hear". Billy is not a love child of mine.
Or even maybe 'some on here'?
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

BJ. wrote:
jonlin wrote:Should have been "some on hear" not "some one hear". Billy is not a love child of mine.
Or even maybe 'some on here'?
Come on BJ be fair, Jonlin did try to correct, perhaps 3rd time lucky if you had given a chance.

Well done to Tigers players for being selected in the 23. What a proud moment for the players and the club. Tigers supporters should be on cloud nine -English champions and 6 Lions.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's actually not that bad a team as I feared we'd get, fair play this side could actually win the game, bench looks good for the most part too.

COME ON YOU LIONS
(I'm trying to get enthusiastic)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.