Castro confirmed to Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

grobyman

Castro confirmed to Toulon

Post by grobyman »

Martin Castrogiovanni
Toulon have confirmed their signings for next season, including Leicester Tigers and Italy prop Martin Castrogiovanni.

Castrogiovanni arrives after winning the Aviva Premiership title with Leicester and having won 91 caps for his country, but his future was in doubt as talks broke down between Leicester and Toulon earlier this season.
The tighthead prop, currently on tour in South Africa with Italy, will now link up with the Heineken Cup champions for next season.
Toulon also confirmed the arrival of previously announced star signings Bryan Habana and Drew Mitchell.
Other arrivals include Bath scrum-half Michael Claassens, 27-year old lock Emmanuel Felsina from Aix and Racing Métro hooker Benjamin Noirot.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Castro confirmed to Toulon

Post by BJ. »

Pray tell where has this item of news come from?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Thank you.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
beccap2007

Post by beccap2007 »

I have to say Im not supprised as I know they would sign him. Its a bit sneeky on their part making him buy himself out of Tigers contract as befor signing him. I dont buy that they couldnt afford him, but thats what business people are like I guess.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck to him and thanks for everything.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I am glad that he has a club as he has been a great servant to the club.

I think it was the right move for him and the club, as he was certainly number 2 and away on international dury when Dan Cole was also.

I fully understand why he left the draw of rugby, a large wage packet and a lot of sun (he is argentian) would be incredible.

The way Toulon handled the transfer was appalling and should be used by the IRB to provide transfer guidelines
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Worst kept season in rugby. However, we got the compensation we wanted, Castro got the move he wanted and Toulon got the player and the price they wanted. Everyone sorted.

Sad to see Castro go and I hope he got a cracking contract over in Toulon as judging by Hayman's performance against us, they need him.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

sam16111986 wrote:Worst kept season in rugby. However, we got the compensation we wanted, Castro got the move he wanted and Toulon got the player and the price they wanted. Everyone sorted.
Are you sure about that? If I am reading it correctly, we agreed a compensation deal with Toulon but they renaged on the deal saying that we were treating them as a bank. There was then a stand-off.

There were two ways of resolving the stand-off. Either Toulon honour the compensation agreement or agree a modified compensation or we release Castro from the remaining year of his contract.

Since I have seen no confirmation of the compensation agreement being honoured or renegotiated, I suspect that we have released Castro from the remaining year of his contract without compensation in order to resolve the stand-off and allow Castro to complete his move. If so, that is a big gesture from Tigers to a very loyal servant.
Always a Tiger
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

IIRC Castro bought himself out of the remaining year of his contract. I would think that this was a lower amount than we asked Toulon to pay in compensation but Toulon will probably pay him a signing on fee to cover his costs. We should have been clever and allowed him to buy out of his contract with a condition that he could not sign for Toulon.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Thanks for the memories Castro... it's been a lot of fun. Good luck with Toulon :smt001
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Gosh darnit I'll miss that shaggy warrior, watching him dancing over the try line at Wasps remains one of my fondest rugby memories. Adios Castro, we're all hoping you'll grab a few more medals before your days are up, just hopefully not at our expense.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

GETHIN EXILE wrote:IIRC Castro bought himself out of the remaining year of his contract. I would think that this was a lower amount than we asked Toulon to pay in compensation but Toulon will probably pay him a signing on fee to cover his costs. We should have been clever and allowed him to buy out of his contract with a condition that he could not sign for Toulon.
He must be getting paid a lot of money to join a club that agrees a compensation deal to allow you to join them whilst you are still in contract but then reneges on it leaving you completely in limbo to go back to your current club cap in hand! Castro must have felt very uncomfortable being put into that position.

Not a club with much integrity IMO, I would make sure my agent and lawyer scrutinised my contract in minute detail.
Always a Tiger
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

bluntiger wrote: Castro must have felt very uncomfortable being put into that position.
Unless of course Castro was complicit in the ruse......he was reportedly desperate to be away apparently.
bluntiger wrote:Not a club with much integrity IMO, I would make sure my agent and lawyer scrutinised my contract in minute detail.
Agree completely with you on this bluntiger. The owner is the lowest of the low in rugby terms IMO.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Rugby and ethical arguments apartb- of which there are many :smt023

Leicester weather or Toulon - mmmmm let me think !! :smt017
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”