Castro confirmed to Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Castro confirmed to Toulon

Post by tigerburnie »

Bit like a divorce isn't it, always some bitterness when someone perceives they deserve more than they get.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Gleisondyn

Castrogiovanni

Post by Gleisondyn »

Did any of you read the Rugby Paper today?
There was an article by Castro saying that he was unhappy by the way Cockerell treated him when he wanted to leave. He had to pay out of his own money to be released and that a lot of the squad were unhappy at the club.
Any thoughts?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Castrogiovanni

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Yes & Yes :smt003

Cunningly disguised on the Castro confirmed to Toulon thread :smt002 :smt023

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... 74#p560174
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Castrogiovanni

Post by fortysix »

Apparantly true what Castro says but RC has another years grace after the Premiership ... wait for the :censored: to start again in September....
beccap2007

Post by beccap2007 »

Ok Castro wanted to leave because he wasnt getting enough game time. Well what was Cockers supposed to do say to Dan Cole sorry we dont want you. No he played them both. Why should we have accepted Toulons offer If It wasn't what we wanted. Sounds to be like a child when they dont get there own way. I used to like Castro aswell. If Cockers Is that bad why did Castro stay at Tigers as Long as he did.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

beccap2007 wrote:If Cockers Is that bad why did Castro stay at Tigers as Long as he did.
Good point. Is it just coincidence that Cockerill became the devil when Castro was dropped in favour of a superior prop?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I have to say that it is another example of rugby becoming more like football. I read an article in the papers recently about how Carlos Tevez felt that he was harshly treated at Man City (and Man Utd for that matter) and that his 'dream' was to play for Juventus. It is just using the media to spin things so that it puts a sympathetic light on you, that in some way Castro was the injured party.

Truth is, this is nothing to do with playing time, Castro will have a harder time getting into the Toulon starting XV that he has had getting gametime at Tigers. The only real motivator in this is money.

Someone waved a pay-check at Castro and he wanted to take it even though he was under contract with Tigers. Then when Toulon renaged on the compensation deal and left him hanging, Castro wanted Tigers to roll over and release him. Cockerill and Cohen rightly said no.

If Castro was ever to return, he would not be given a warm reception by the board or by the fans. Bridges well and truly burned.
Always a Tiger
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

bluntiger wrote:
Someone waved a pay-check at Castro and he wanted to take it even though he was under contract with Tigers. Then when Toulon renaged on the compensation deal and left him hanging, Castro wanted Tigers to roll over and release him. Cockerill and Cohen rightly said no.

That's how I see it. It doesn't seem right to me that they (Toulon) made him buy himself out of his contract in order to join them. I can't see how he can join them on what we might say, good terms.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Bluntiger - If Castro was ever to return, he would not be given a warm reception by the board or by the fans. Bridges well and truly burned.

If you don't mind I will decide who I give a warm reception to thanks very much!!!

Castro still a Tigers legend to me & I will follow his Toulon progress with added interest, I believe he was badly advised by his agent & Toulon!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

GT1 wrote:Castro still a Tigers legend to me & I will follow his Toulon progress with added interest, I believe he was badly advised by his agent & Toulon!
Everyone to their own, but lets not hide behind the 'he was badly advised' nonsense. His actions, his responsibility.
Always a Tiger
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

bluntiger wrote:
If Castro was ever to return, he would not be given a warm reception by the board or by the fans. Bridges well and truly burned.
I believe you would be with a very small majority bluntiger. I for one will welcome Castro back warmly either in a coaching role or playing. Castro did what anyone professional would do to maximize his pension pot.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

kpb wrote: Castro did what anyone professional would do to maximize his pension pot.
That's all fine, but what isn't professional is going to various media outlets and complaining about the club you have been with for 8 years. I agree with bluntiger. It's odd that he loved the club until Dan Cole became preferred to him. I suspect (speculation obviously) that when it came to what he would have to do to displace Cole and return to the starting line-up, he didn't like what he was told. I have no problem with him taking a better salary from Toulon- rugby is a short career and I don't begrudge him topping up his pension pot, however, I find his comments and complaining about the club very distasteful and I find them tarnishing his service to the club. In my opinion, he should have kept a dignified silence and let himself become a club legend rather than bad-mouthing and insulting a club that has given him so much.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerAlex wrote:
kpb wrote: Castro did what anyone professional would do to maximize his pension pot.
That's all fine, but what isn't professional is going to various media outlets and complaining about the club you have been with for 8 years. I agree with bluntiger. It's odd that he loved the club until Dan Cole became preferred to him. I suspect (speculation obviously) that when it came to what he would have to do to displace Cole and return to the starting line-up, he didn't like what he was told. I have no problem with him taking a better salary from Toulon- rugby is a short career and I don't begrudge him topping up his pension pot, however, I find his comments and complaining about the club very distasteful and I find them tarnishing his service to the club. In my opinion, he should have kept a dignified silence and let himself become a club legend rather than bad-mouthing and insulting a club that has given him so much.
I suspect £ is totally at the bottom of this.

Castro had a clause in his contract that allowed him to "buy himself out of it" for £x. Tigers asked Toulon for £2x - which Toulon were happy with until the learnt about the £x clause.

Then waste material hit the air extraction device.

And the rest is history.
Still keeping the faith!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Surely a 'professional' would be true to his word and honour the contract that he signed rather than chase money, that is what a mercenary does.

So let's get the words right, Castro has acted as a mercenary NOT a professional.
Always a Tiger
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

bluntiger wrote:
Surely a 'professional' would be true to his word and honour the contract that he signed rather than chase money, that is what a mercenary does.

So let's get the words right, Castro has acted as a mercenary NOT a professional.
He was honouring his contract - it had a buy out clause agreed by Tigers and Castro! He was perfectly entitled to buy out the remaining year of his contract.