Close to the test side?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Close to the test side?

Post by tigerburnie »

Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny; Sean Maitland, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Simon Zebo; Jonathan Sexton, Mike Phillips; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell , Tom Croft, Sam Warburton (capt), Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Rob Kearney
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Close to the test side?

Post by jgriffin »

I hope not, especially with the last three on the bench. AWJ is not up to it, likewise Warburton.
I assume Manu is actually injured?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Manu is injured.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I think it is close to the test side. But there are definitely test groupings eg if you believe that Vunipola and Jones will be the props, then Youngs is likely to be the test hooker. And Sexton and Phillips are the likely half-backs. Also the pack looks set for the test pack - tough on Tipuric, but Warburton is captain. The test back three will be North, Halfpenny and Cuthbert IMO. Wrapping O'Driscoll in cotton wool I suspect and I expect Manu to make the bench for the first test.
Always a Tiger
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I don't believe Manu is injured I'm sure I read that Gatland said he was resting him and BOD, just saying Manu was sore and they wanted him rested, to me that says Gatland wants him involved the following Saturday. He admitted himself midfield cover was short
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's difficult to be sure - the balancing of injuries and players needing rest, along with keeping the real test line up hidden for as long as possible makes it hard to interpret.

The feeble standard of the opposition also means that there is less to be gained from turning out the test side as a whole unit for any given match until the tests themselves.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Likely test pack and half backs. Still don't think he has settled on the back 3 after losing Bowe. North will definitely be on one wing and half penny will play, but will it be on the wing with Kearney at 15 or at 15 with Manu or Cuthbert on the wing. BOD and Roberts will be test centres
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

I think its a combination of test starters and possibles. If TY plays well he could / should secure the hooking berth. If he doesn't then it will be Hibbard. Best no chance. Wyn Jones also need to impress. Its a possible starting backrow but all 3, Warburton and Croft in particular need big games. If Heaslip has an off day Faletau will be in.

In the backs I can see Davies having a stormer and pinching that second centre berth alonside BOD and if Maitland has a good game he could get the nod before Cuthbert on the wing.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We now know that Manu and North are injured. Zebo IMO is a possible bolter for the bench. I think it will be Roberts/BOD in the centres if the current crop of injuries continues - and I suspect that Cuthbert's poor defence may see others leapfrog him. The Test XV may pick itself at this rate - however I see the need for Parling and Croft in the side to nick the lineouts, so we can dominate set piece and starve them of ball.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tend to agree with that JG, I think Crofty may start, but some seem to view Geof as a bit light weight in the scrum. I think against the Aussies you hit the key point, we starve them of any decent ball and we dictate the game.