Singing of national anthems

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Singing of national anthems

Post by BJ. »

When are the two-bit performers who have been selected to sing an anthem before an international match going to realise:

a) they should stick to the correct tune and not go up on the last note unless that's how it was written, and
b) they're not on a X Factor-esque audition and it should be sung with due respect.

It was my misfortune to watch some stupid woman warble through La Marseillaise a few minutes ago and she went up on the last note. This was followed by a man performing the NZ anthem who sang it in a ersatz nasal American accent even though he's a Kiwi.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Singing of national anthems

Post by CJ »

totally agree, BJ. In fact I don't know why a singer is needed at all. Let's just have the band and allow the fans to belt it out.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Agreed. It seems to have become the thing to have a singer, or a duo - and many of them have no idea how to sing the anthem. I am English but the crowd singing of the unaccompanied verse of Flower of Scotland always sends a shiver through me. A band and the crowd would be better, although you often spot people who don't know the words to their own national anthems!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Rizzo wrote:although you often spot people who don't know the words to their own national anthems!
South Africans for example - too many of them are too lazy and too many are too ignorant to learn the non-afrikaans verses!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Call of South Africa

Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo,
Yizwa imithandazo yethu,
Nkosi sikelela, thina lusapho lwayo.

Morena boloka setjhaba sa heso,
O fedise dintwa la matshwenyeho,
O se boloke, O se boloke setjhaba sa heso,
Setjhaba sa South Afrika - South Afrika.

Uit die blou van onse hemel,
Uit die diepte van ons see,
Oor ons ewige gebergtes,
Waar die kranse antwoord gee,

Sounds the call to come together,
And united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom,
In South Africa our land.
Valhalla I am coming!
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

fleabane - We were in Buenos Aires a few years ago watching the Springboks play the Pumas. We were sat in the middle of the SA Supporters Club members and many of them looked embarrassed when I sang all of their national anthem and they could only join in when the Afrikaans started!

Did it again two years ago in SA, when England played over there. Not one of the South Africans around me, one of whom was a school teacher, knew the Xhosa, Zulu or Sesotho bits!

But at least they have the Clint Eastwood 'Invictus' movie to show us that they all lived happily ever after!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

We were on the Terrace for the SA match, and the SA family behind us sang lustily. Turns out they were refugees from apartheid.
Valhalla I am coming!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I can't see why they need a singer, particularly at a full Twickenham for an England international. There's no need for the daft music after every score too. Sadly the Chief Exec of the RFU disagrees, as he wants an "NFL" party atmosphere (odd coming from a bloke who just run Wimbledon) - or people just to get hammered. He said so in the Torygraph today.

As for the last note, there was a bit last year about the recording of the anthems for the Olympics. Changing a note here or there, or doing the grandiose ending, apparently save and avoid royalty/copyright issues. That said, at least the girl doing it at Twickers is a rugby player (full back IIRC). :smt001
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Personally, I belive the rendering of the national anthems should be left to the nations concerned.

BJ's comment that the two professional singers were "two bit performers" is IMHO out of order.

And his and Rizzo's subsequent comments were at best discrimnarory and at worst racist.

When at International matches I alwats try and sing the anthems of both narions (or all three if it is Ireland

:smt035
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I don't know about you Rizzo but I've never been described as 'discrimnarory' before. I wonder what it means?

I've just watched another performer make a complete mess of the Italian national anthem. He was far too slow, did not build to a crescendo and he did not include the final 'Si!'. However, the team sung it properly and finished a couple of seconds ahead of him. To be honest, he almost appeared to be miming although that might just have been an audio/visual sync aberration.

It is painfully obvious these people who are employed to mangle the national anthems see it has an opportunity to display their 'skills' as opposed to concentrating on what they really should be doing, i.e. leading the crowd in the singing.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I would agree with Rizzo and BJ, the use of sub standard performers singing national anthems really ruins the atmosphere.I hate the X Factor culture we now seem to have.

To describe their comments as borderline racist is truly bizarre even by forum standards.

I would suggest that such a serious allegation needs backing up or withdrawing.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'd be quite happy if we got rid of them all, especially ours which isn't a national anthem at all but a Royalist dirge which I refuse to sing (probably best for everyone anyway that is).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tyzot wrote:I hate the X Factor culture we now seem to have.
:smt023 +1 with bells and whistles on!
Tyzot wrote:To describe their comments as borderline racist is truly bizarre even by forum standards.

I would suggest that such a serious allegation needs backing up or withdrawing.

Strongly suspect Bill was smarting after being told to keep his chat-ups to PMs :smt002 :smt002 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Watching the Canadian GP - anthem played on the grid on a grand piano!

Style!
Valhalla I am coming!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

fleabane wrote:Watching the Canadian GP - anthem played on the grid on a grand piano!

Style!
Was the piano on pole position?