WE WON!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: WE WON!!!

Post by Old Tight Head »

TigerLad wrote:We are the champions, it's annoying when people say Saracens should be league champion because they aren't. The playoffs have been in place for 10 years now, teams should know by now that the season ends at HQ not round 22..
It doesn't matter if the playoffs have been in place for ten years or a hundred, it still doesn't make the concept right. The team that tops the table after 22 matches are LEAGUE champions. By all means have a separate playoff competition at the end of the season but don't call the winners of that competition the league champions because they aren't.
Cut me and I bleed red, green and white...
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Old Tight Head wrote:
TigerLad wrote:We are the champions, it's annoying when people say Saracens should be league champion because they aren't. The playoffs have been in place for 10 years now, teams should know by now that the season ends at HQ not round 22..
It doesn't matter if the playoffs have been in place for ten years or a hundred, it still doesn't make the concept right. The team that tops the table after 22 matches are LEAGUE champions. By all means have a separate playoff competition at the end of the season but don't call the winners of that competition the league champions because they aren't.
The title "League Champions" mo longer exists. It was scrapped. The only champions are the Premiership Champions - a title we now hold and in which Sarracens (and others) also competed.
Still keeping the faith!
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Old Tight Head wrote:
The title "League Champions" mo longer exists. It was scrapped. The only champions are the Premiership Champions - a title we now hold and in which Sarracens (and others) also competed.
That may as well be. Still doesn't make it right though.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Old Tight Head wrote:[quote="Bill W (2It doesn't matter if the playoffs have been in place for ten years or a hundred, it still doesn't make the concept right. The team that tops the table after 22 matches are LEAGUE champions. By all means have a separate playoff competition at the end of the season but don't call the winners of that competition the league champions because they aren't.
The title "League Champions" mo longer exists. It was scrapped. The only champions are the Premiership Champions - a title we now hold and in which Sarracens (and others) also competed.[/quote]

That may as well be. Still doesn't make it right though.[/quote]

Right or wrong it is the way it is!!

Put up £100M to sponsor a "League Champions" title and my guess would be PRL will accept!!
Still keeping the faith!
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

The playoffs are about money, not rugby. It pains me to suggest that Saracens should be considered champions but they should be. Just as Tigers should have been two years ago.
os99

Post by os99 »

Old Tight Head wrote:
I might agree with that if every team had their full team playing every week. With all the international games, I don't think the team that tops the table necessarily represents the best team in the league and it's also good for the competition to see the best teams competing with each other at the end of the season in a high pressure game.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I sit in the camp where I think the team that is top, should be recognised, if we have playoffs then fine, another title.
However that is not the rules, we all know what they are before the season starts, it doesn't matter what we all think, the trophy will sit in Welford Road for a year and the record books show we are the Champions.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Owly tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Owly tiger »

What's interesting to note is that we've now topped the table 10 times and won the championship 10 times. So it seems it even out.

Gloucester have been the biggest losers of the playoff systems with no wins despite finishing top three times, and Wasps the biggest winners with six wins after topping the table just twice, both times under the old system.
Last edited by Owly tiger on Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Old Tight Head wrote ..It doesn't matter if the playoffs have been in place for ten years or a hundred, it still doesn't make the concept right. The team that tops the table after 22 matches are LEAGUE champions. By all means have a separate playoff competition at the end of the season but don't call the winners of that competition the league champions because they aren't.
Old Tight Head your preaching to the converted on here. I doubt you will find more than a handful on this forum who disagree with you.

Tigers more than any other English club have suffered at the hands of these playoffs. In addition to finishing top of the table then losing the playoff finals, they have also probably cost us a couple of extra Heineken Cups.

But as they say 'dems der rules', if you don't like it don't take part. So until they get changed, we just get on with it I guess. Today I am a happy little Tiger and I don't think anyone would deny we are worthy winners. So no I'm not thinking about Saracens disappointment !!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

When the playoff system was introduced only one club voted against it, Leicester Tigers.

Little point complaining on the Tigers forum, if you want to change it you need to make your voice heard elsewhere.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Somebody else may have agreed with me previously. :smt002
Ever since the play off concept was started I have advocated having two titles and two trophies. One for being top of the league table where Tigers are penalised by having so many players out on national and international duty. And one for the play offs.
I think they could get a separate sponsor for the play offs quite easily.

I don't care if it is a money spinner - it means I get to see more top class rugby. :smt026
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

You have to remember as well that as there are no prizes for topping the table, that is not the main aim of teams. Would we have lost to Bath if the title was up for grabs? Probably not
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

northerntiger wrote:You have to remember as well that as there are no prizes for topping the table, that is not the main aim of teams. Would we have lost to Bath if the title was up for grabs? Probably not
Agree sides have adapted, winning the league is nice but Cockers, McCall and O'Shea all talk of "getting into the top 2"!! As DRC points out Tigers were the only side to vote against the play-offs too.

Excellent to win, congratulations to all involved, even better to win it vs. Saints.

Looking forward to next year- could be an extra special one IMO. :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Wasn't the only reason they introduced the play-offs to stop Tigers always winning the league? That's why the others voted for it so they could get a shot at us in a one-off game. We have made the final 9 seasons in a row and in most of those seasons we could have finished top if there was still a league champions trophy up for grabs. We have reached 9 finals despite being handicapped by International Call-ups and some key injuries. Credit to the Coaches and the players who pull on the Tigers shirt.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Wasn't the only reason they introduced the play-offs to stop Tigers always winning the league? That's why the others voted for it so they could get a shot at us in a one-off game. We have made the final 9 seasons in a row and in most of those seasons we could have finished top if there was still a league champions trophy up for grabs. We have reached 9 finals despite being handicapped by International Call-ups and some key injuries. Credit to the Coaches and the players who pull on the Tigers shirt.

Well said, I agree with every word. We always loose a load of players during either the 6 Nations or England call up so it is down to the team and the people behind them that we should all be proud of :smt041
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!