Super User

Farrell will bounce back - Gatland

Post by Cagey Tiger »

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Farrell will bounce back - Gatland

Post by northerntiger »

Trouble is, I dont think he is that good, so he has nothing much to bounce back to. An ok centre, but not a fly half. Reminds me a little bit of my u14 side, where we have Dads constantly lobbying for their sons to play, but I can play mine,simply because I am the coach
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Farrell has shown that he can get wound up. And the Lions are going to the country that gave us "sledging" (albeit in a different sport). If any country's sportsmen know who to be WUM, it's Australia. A chance for Farrel to show his maturity?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I don't really rate Farrel but I think this tour will make or break him. I fear that he is going to be found sadly lacking in a few areas.

it would have been interesting to see how far he would have got without daddies influence..
cheers
Rich
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Nothing against the lad but for me he just doesn't cut it at 10. He always played 12 to Ford at 10 and it worked at U18 and U20. When Sarries lose Charlie H they lose direction something IMO Farrell has not got -yet? He maybe mentally tough but 9 out 10 that will get you a yellow when it all turn to rats **it
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He needs to play at fly half more often for Sarries.
Sarries playing Charlie H at fly half is hampering his development, so how England and the lions can expect Farrell to perform when playing out of position is a tough ask.

For Sarries it's about their best combination - at club level you can hide a defensive lightweight and benefit from Hodgsons' attacking flair. At England level Hodgson struggled more in attack & England struggled to hide him in defense.
The needs of club and country diverge!

On the plus side I hope Burns establishes himself on the tour to Argentina and the Farrell dilemma goes away.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

All I can see is the cold fact that the Lions are only taking two fly-halfs Down Under and one of them isn't even the first choice in that position for his club.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's a conspiracy I tell you, Gat's is leading us to the slaughter,infamy, infamy we've all got it in for 'im(to be done in your best Carry On film style)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Another example of a dead cat bounce?
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

He shouldn't be going on the Lions tour in the first place, let alone 2nd choice. Farrells most attractive feature is his kicking and when that is off his game falls apart because he has nothing else to fall back on. Flood's kicking has been poor recently but his game has enough variation for him to still be a big part of our team. I don't buy Farrels mentally strong image. He has been rattled by Wales, Toulon and Northampton recently and was bested by each fly half in these games. Of course Farrell will bounce back but so will every player given enough time.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

As someone once said, 'Well, he would say that wouldn't he?' If Fazlet is good at bouncing back I wasn't impressed by him not making first choice after being given a master class by St Johnny and then blowing it under pressure.

I remember an Aussie paper with the headline 'Is that all you've got' after Wilko had kicked England to another victory in the pool stages in 2003. The answer was 'That's all we need.' Unfortunately Fazlet is no Wilko as a kicker and certainly not as a tackler. If he does bounce back on tour it will only be as a good kicker, but not a lot of bottle.

We're doomed I tell ye, doomed.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

TigerLad wrote:He shouldn't be going on the Lions tour in the first place, let alone 2nd choice. Farrells most attractive feature is his kicking and when that is off his game falls apart because he has nothing else to fall back on. Flood's kicking has been poor recently but his game has enough variation for him to still be a big part of our team. I don't buy Farrels mentally strong image. He has been rattled by Wales, Toulon and Northampton recently and was bested by each fly half in these games. Of course Farrell will bounce back but so will every player given enough time.
The niggle isn't a new part of his game. He's always had a nasty habit of putting a late shoulder in when things aren't going his way. He's by no means talentless but he's always been overrated and overhyped. Maybe one day he will be brilliant, but he isn't at the moment. He's been vastly helped by a favourable media representation. Now that seems to be over, it'll be interesting to see what happens to him now.

Flood's kicking hasn't been great, although he was kicking from hand quite nicely last weekend. However, it isn't that bad and with Leigh Halfpenny in the team, it doesn't necessarily matter if the kicking percentages aren't great. Besides, he has so much more to his game than Farrell. I bet North and Cuthbert would much rather be running lines of Flood than Farrell. As it is, I hope they enjoy kick chases.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

TigerAlex wrote:with Leigh Halfpenny in the team, it doesn't necessarily matter if our fly half can kick goals. I bet North and Cuthbert would much rather be running lines off Flood than Farrell. As it is, I hope they enjoy kick chases.
I have amended your comment Tigeralex to reflect on my own thinking - which then coincides with your last sentence.

If we are picking an attacking flyhalf (Sexton) to base the Lions gameplan around, why have a non-attacking flyhalf as his backup ?
(Or is Fazlet a good plan B and I'm missing something here ....?)
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Jay C wrote:
TigerAlex wrote:with Leigh Halfpenny in the team, it doesn't necessarily matter if our fly half can kick goals. I bet North and Cuthbert would much rather be running lines off Flood than Farrell. As it is, I hope they enjoy kick chases.
I have amended your comment Tigeralex to reflect on my own thinking - which then coincides with your last sentence.

If we are picking an attacking flyhalf (Sexton) to base the Lions gameplan around, why have a non-attacking flyhalf as his backup ?
(Or is Fazlet a good plan B and I'm missing something here ....?)
Sexton is a near complete fly-half. He reads the game very well and varies his play quite nicely. I'd rather have seen an out-and-out attacking fly-half as his back-up to sit on the bench and capitalise on tiring defences in the last 10 minutes or so.

Farrell doesn't/can't/won't bring that, so I really don't understand what he's going to be doing on tour.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Lord Johnny of Wilkinson may well find himself out there due to an injury in the backs.

Imagine the scenario - one of the Lions centres is injured - Farrell moves to centre (even though for the dirt trackers) leaving a vacant 10 slot.

Johnny is re-called and kicks the winning goal in the deciding 3rd test. :smt003
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.