Best underrated tigers XV

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBain

Best underrated tigers XV

Post by TigerBain »

Me and my friend were discussing the brilliance of the Tigers in their ability to generate and develop international players, and lions. It then got us thinking, what would your best Tigers XV be, if all constituent players were those unlucky to receive international honors. Apologies if this has been discussed before, but would be interested to hear your thoughts.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Best underrated tigers XV

Post by physiodan »

1. Stankovich
2. Buckland
3. Castrogiovanni (at present)
4. Marco Wenztzel
5. Leo Cullen
6. Paul Gustard
7. Ben Herring/Shane Jennings
8. Henry Tuilagi
9. Scott Bemmand
10. Ian Humphreys
11. Leon Lloyd (could have had more caps)
12. Sam Vesty (Played in too many positions but always a great 12)
13. Dan Hipkiss (Same as Lloyd)
14. Steve Booth
15. Jonny Murphy
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tigerbain, are your criteria that they should not have received senior international recognition?
TigerBain

Post by TigerBain »

Yes, best tigers xv with players who failed to receive senior international recognition, sorry for any confusion.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Surely john wells is a given at 6? Matt poole?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

glenn wrote:Surely john wells is a given at 6? Matt poole?

Agree

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
glenn

Post by glenn »

Kardooni at scrum half and the redferns propping, dave lougheed on one wing please, hooking would be kayser ordorian west.jaco van de westheusen in any position too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerBain wrote:Yes, best tigers xv with players who failed to receive senior international recognition, sorry for any confusion.
Is 13 the same Hipkiss who played in the 2007 World Cup final? I'd count that as international recognition. Ollie Smith, now he admittedly played for England, but should have won 50 caps, not 5, and was massively underrated. Hipkiss possibly won a fair number of caps based on ability. :smt001
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

John Lilley would be a great fullback who never achieved an England Cap (maybe one) but was a great club servant.

Van der westheusen was awesome, but uncapped? not sure. Under rated? Never!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
TigerBain wrote:Yes, best tigers xv with players who failed to receive senior international recognition, sorry for any confusion.
Is 13 the same Hipkiss who played in the 2007 World Cup final? I'd count that as international recognition. Ollie Smith, now he admittedly played for England, but should have won 50 caps, not 5, and was massively underrated. Hipkiss possibly won a fair number of caps based on ability. :smt001
Dan Hipkiss probably deserved a few more caps himself but i agree regarding Ollie Smith, he should have won 50+ caps for England
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I like the idea of the thread but it really is difficult to decide who qualifies isn't it? After all a number of those listed DID get capped - so possibly we look at those who didn't get regular caps; or those who couldn't get in the team but were getting caps. After all Castro, Cullen, Jennings, H Tuilagi, Vesty, Hipkiss and Lloyd are all internationals.

Surprised that no-one yet has raised Billy 12T. Or Will Skinner who had the misfortune to be trying to compete with the likes of Moody, Back etc.

To me the best international who just didn't get the recognition he deserved was Pat Howard but he did, of course, always hold his place in the Tiger team.

We could also go the other way and talk about those who got more recognition than they really deserved. My candidate for this would be Vardell.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DickyP wrote:
Surprised that no-one yet has raised Billy 12T. Or Will Skinner who had the misfortune to be trying to compete with the likes of Moody, Back etc.

We could also go the other way and talk about those who got more recognition than they really deserved. My candidate for this would be Vardell.
I think we still have to see with 12Ts, as he's still developing, and, with an injury or two, or change in selection policy away from Barritt, could still win a few caps.

Skinner was unfortunate here, then seemed to fall out of favour with Quins post Deano.

As for TV, I think he's not internationally on the radar for the same reasons as he wasn't when he was with us! :smt003
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There were lots back in the '70's Gary Adey got one cap at 8 , the Beebs commentator Bletherin' made the most appearances,Duggan,Barker, a certain member of the aristocracy in the second row. Until we we won those three John Player Cups we were not looked upon as "fashionable".
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
One Over The Eight
Tiger Cub

Post by One Over The Eight »

Stuart Potter - bloomin' marvellous centre. Unfortunate to be playing at the same time as a certain W. Carling! Potter managed a whole 2 mins for the senior national side
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="glenn"]Surely john wells is a given at 6? Matt poole?[/quote]

Matt did get 1 cap :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too