Who, realistically, would you like to see at tigers 2013/14

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Who, realistically, would you like to see at tigers 2013/14

Post by physiodan »

I personally would love tigers to take a punt on someone like Carlin Isles! Look him up on you tube if you are not familiar! Sevens player with soooo much gas it is frightening! Could be a real find for the prem!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who, realistically, would you like to see at tigers 2013/14

Post by The Boy Dave »

I like the look of Carlin Isles US sevens teammate Zack Test!
Is James O'Conner from the Rebels realistic?
Cheery chappy
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Carlin Isles would certainly bring a lot of icing to the cake...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hobson from Bristol, add some experienced cover to the thighthead department.

If we could land him and Schuster that would do.

Sevens and league converts are a bit of a gamble. Didn't we try signing a pacey sevens sensation previously? Having said that he'd be worth a trial, especially if he can play fullback.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Miles Benjamin :smt002

actually I am really looking forward to seeing him, waiting for tait has been well worth while, I think Benjamin will be the same!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Ben Morgan? Perhaps some sprint training for Crane now he's over his knee problem might go some way towards a rumbling No8.

Tight head cover - during the 6N we were exposed without Cole & Castro and with Castro's departure we will be in that position every time Cole doesn't play.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sevens and league converts are a bit of a gamble. Didn't we try signing a pacey sevens sensation previously? Having said that he'd be worth a trial, especially if he can play fullback.
Well, we did have Waisale Serevi, the Fijian 7s legend in the late 90s, but only for a season. IIRC he wasn't a massive hit in the 15-a-side game. On the flip side, I think we played him at 10, and at the time the club had a certain Joel Stransky in that shirt, so that may explain why.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

In terms of our starting 15 I think we are in fairly good shape. Only position where we might not be as strong is at 8 where it would be good to have a bit more of a dynamic player. Don't get me wrong Crane has played well for us but you don't see him making the sort of barnstorming runs like Billy Vunipola does. A player with a bit more pace would be great here. Has Mafi ever played at 8? Only asking as he seems too good a player to sit on the bench and he certainly has the size, power and pace to be a good fit. Having watched players like Wood switch effectively from flanker to 8 well for England it could be worth a shot???
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Barnstorming 8s like Morgan and Billy Vunipola don't get through the work Crane does. Stick with big Jordan he gets us over the gainline and puts a massive shift in.

Props and possibly a fullback would be the only features on my Tigers shopping list.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

The Boy Dave wrote:Is James O'Conner from the Rebels realistic?
I would sadly say unrealistic
vin rouge wrote:Miles Benjamin :smt002

actually I am really looking forward to seeing him, waiting for tait has been well worth while, I think Benjamin will be the same!
Me too. Hopefully matured into a fine wine whilst he has been out. Certainly could be a match winner next term.
Hot_Charlie wrote:Well, we did have Waisale Serevi, the Fijian 7s legend in the late 90s, but only for a season. IIRC he wasn't a massive hit in the 15-a-side game. On the flip side, I think we played him at 10, and at the time the club had a certain Joel Stransky in that shirt, so that may explain why.
The problem with Serevi was his defense. At least with Isles, he looks like he can tackle. Reminds me of Nmandi Uzuleki (Possible spelt wrong).

http://rugbyonslaught.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... isles.html
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't usually go for sevens players but watch this kid Zack Test, seems to have it all and a bit more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNZ4g3cg0A
Cheery chappy
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

The Boy Dave wrote:I don't usually go for sevens players but watch this kid Zack Test, seems to have it all and a bit more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNZ4g3cg0A
Agreed. Would make an awesome running 6 and his tackling isn't too bad either.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Tighthead needs addressing with Castro and Brookes departing. I think swapping Mulipola over to TH may be a good option, last couple of games he hasn't looked so strong at LH. With Schuster possibly coming, that should help, I believe he won his French caps as a LH, and is reputed to be a strong scummager more than dyanmic in the loose. Still need another prop to make sure we have enough quality depth to see us through.
Ayerza, Schuster, Stanko.
Cole, Mulipola, Balmain.
Need one more.
I still think we need another natural 7 to reduce the pressure on Salvi. At 6 we have two great options in Croft and Mafi. At 8, Crane is rediscovering some form, and you can see evidence he is starting to look for offloads again, then Waldrom brings some dynamism. Agree, it is not Vunipola/Morgan dynamism, but I feel they are more than good enough to be lower down the prioroty list. At 7, we have no natural alternative. Gibson has been touted, but looking at his size, he seems more rangy than a compact over the ball type 7.
Beyond that, maybe a bit mroe cover at 15 with Murphy confirmed retiring, and hamilton yet to be confirmed either way. Tait is still technically making the transition to fullback, albeit looking more and more the part by the week, leaving our only other option Morris, who hasn't played there as much of late. Potentially we could do with a centre too now Forsyth has gone to Sale, and Symons has gone to NZ for the ITM Cup.

Prop, 7, Fullback, and maybe centre.
As for who, I'm not entirely certain, not without being unreallistic over who we could squeeze under the cap anyway.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigers Unoffy has tweeted "The Rugby Paper links current Toulon prop Davit Kubriashvili as a replacement for Castro"

Perhaps a part ex deal for Castro anyways the speculation mounts :smt045
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

sapajo wrote:Tigers Unoffy has tweeted "The Rugby Paper links current Toulon prop Davit Kubriashvili as a replacement for Castro"

Perhaps a part ex deal for Castro anyways the speculation mounts :smt045
It would be nice but the way I read that paragraph in TRP suggested to me that this was the sticking point.

Essentially, the deal is stuttering because of the demands we are making. The relevant sentence reads: 'Leicester were initially after cash plus [Kubriashvili].'

That can be interpreted in a few ways but given that Toulon appear to have a lot of cash, I'm inclined to think they didn't like the 'plus Kubriashvili' part of the deal.