East Midlands Final - the wanted final!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: East Midlands Final - the wanted final!!

Post by vin rouge »

tigerburnie wrote:Tigers have an air about them just now, there's no sign of weakness or compromise, there seems to be a steely determination that was missing earlier in the season and we are stringing together some great passages of play. Discipline will again be key to this outcome and we are now showing we are getting better in that department too, just need Toby to fine tune his place kicking radar and all will be well.

What just like this time last season you mean?

:smt117
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I thought Saints bench was not bad at all yesterday. To be fair to him Mallinder has had a torrid past 18 months with injuries, bans and internationals disrupting his squad but they look as settled at the moment as they were when they reached the HC Final. Saints were certainly very focused yesterday and this final is far from being a gimme. You have to hand it to R.C though, he has also had more than his fair share of disruption and he has got his team into great shape. I think this final is probably credit to two of the best young English DoR in the Premiership. It certainly pains me to see these two coaches constantly overlooked for further honours compared to what we have to put up with instead. It should be a great match-up!
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Boy Dave wrote:I think this final is probably credit to two of the best young English DoR in the Premiership. It certainly pains me to see these two coaches constantly overlooked for further honours compared to what we have to put up with instead. It should be a great match-up!
I agree 100% and it shows up not only England but also the Lions. Yesterday should be an emetic for Lancaster and Gatland.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tommo

Post by tommo »

Cant speak for Boon, but as a Saints fan, I cant wait for the Final. Been hoping for this one for years.

Saints appear to be hitting the straps at the right time for a change, and Tigers looked very good on Saturday against Quins. Potentially, it has the makings of a cracker.

Packs appear evenly matched, and the benches similarly, but I believe you might have the edge on the back & centers. Time will tell.

Cant see your bunch allowing us the access to Flood that Sarries allowed us to Hodgson. Removing him from the game exposed the fragile Fazlet.

Good luck, and see you all down there!
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: East Midlands Final

Post by mol2 »

fentiger wrote:
mol2 wrote:I guess there will be a lot of Quins and Sarries tickets on eBay!
Only if both the Sarries fans had already bought theres :smt003
No Sarries had already bought them for them!
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

I would reckon these two clubs could bring 40,000 members and followers with them. If the clubs were allocated that number of seats the stadium could be filled in a much more satisfactory way, and could also put together larger coherent transport packages.

I'd like to see us taking over the stadium, providing the after match entertainment (Rock Bottom v Whoever the Saints put up) and making a real display of the two town's Rugby cultures.

Time to roll over RFU?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Eon B wrote:I would reckon these two clubs could bring 40,000 members and followers with them. If the clubs were allocated that number of seats the stadium could be filled in a much more satisfactory way, and could also put together larger coherent transport packages.

I'd like to see us taking over the stadium, providing the after match entertainment (Rock Bottom v Whoever the Saints put up) and making a real display of the two town's Rugby cultures.

Time to roll over RFU?
Income from advance ticket sales will contribute much in terms of interest.

Nonetheless the allocation of only 7500 tickets to a club of Tigers (and Saints) stature is abysmal IMHO. I have been unable to get any tickets (being essentially incommunicado over the weekend), and my trusted colleague (armed with his own 3 season tickets and my 3)did not fancy queuing all round the stadium after the match and thus we took the decision to watch the match on TV (I was only partially incommunicado).
Still keeping the faith!
boon

Post by boon »

here I am :smt006

obviously delighted to have reached the final. bought my tickets in January so sitting pretty (they arrived on Saturday which I took as a good omen and so it was...)

tigers will rightly start favourites but no doubt that was the case in at least some of those 5 finals you have lost to date?

have already said this elsewhere, and its echoed above, but saints have come good at the right time after frankly a torrid time mid-season.

should be a great game, bound to be a good day out, and I will back my team all the way. tigers might start favourites but saints showed yesterday they are quite capable of tearing up the script.

see you on the 25th :smt006 :smt006
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Good luck boon!! May the best team win - or failing that Tigers!!

:smt006 :smt006
Still keeping the faith!
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Saints seem to have been having a torrid time with injuries. I know that Waldouck is out for the season, but George Pisi missed last week with a hamstring problem - is this something that he will be expected to recover from by the time of the Final? Hamstrings can be very difficult.

Also, I noted that Courtney Lawes seemed very discomfited when he came off - do we know what the matter is? Calum Clark appeared to be strapped up to the nines, and hobbled off. Does anyone know how bad their injuries are and whether this will threaten their appearances in the Final?

I presume the Saints fans logging on to here might have the best insights.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

This is The Final we all wanted. Two great rugby teams, great sets of genuine fans and any result possible. Saints will have no problem getting up for this one and for once (well at least in the last 2 Finals) I hope we are up for it. Cockers remind our lot of thrashing Wasps then getting stuffed and likewise Quins last year!)
Saints had injury problems yesterday and still won, brilliant. My fear is without Ayerza and Slater we could once again get stuffed up front. Floody also needs to get his kicking right as he's not, bless him, got a good record at Twickers!!
Just bring it on and I hope that our Tigers are told to go out and enjoy it instead of looking like the weight of the world is upon them. Neither team will be favourites after the semis.
boon

Post by boon »

I currently expect lawes and clark to be fine in a fortnight. both are often seen with strapping but it doesn't stop them turning out when the next game comes around.

pisi and waldouck are our only injuries at the moment(unless there is news from yesterday not yet on the radar)but James Wilson had a great game in my book and isn't a bad option. good boot, too. tom may can still do a job too, if needed.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
shedster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by shedster »

Would like to wish both sides the best at HQ if it cant be Glos then you or Northampton for me ( honest ) hope you all have a great day guys . Not been posting for a while as my junior side won the National junior Vase so been other wise engaged ,still cant speak but boy whata day .I think Twickenham is more intimadating when mostly empty than full IMHO , not that you will be able to test my theory at the final.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

As good as Saints played yesterday, I truly believe that Saracens thought they just had to turn up to win. The so-called advantage of the pitch, the wives lining the team's entrance...they got it badly wrong I think. Saints on the other hand were desperate and wanted it more. I don't believe for a minute that Tigers will be complacent. I suspect it will be close in the first half, as per the game at the allotment. I truly believe we have the power and pace to win this final comfortably.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Re an earlier post about selection/injuries I spoke to Mr Slater on saturday and he assured me he would be fit, "In two weeks"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina