stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Red Boots

Re: stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Post by Red Boots »

I couldn't see the Goneva try either so I watched the recorded match when I got home. We played much better on the TV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It used to be that people had some self-discipline and manners. If everyone sits everyone can see. Those who jumped up in the Crumbie were not regular supporters. Perhaps a note on the ticket might help. I'm as passionate as anyone about Tigers and I want to rejoice but not at the expense of children and others sitting behind me who cannot see if I stand up. I don't buy a season ticket to see the back of your jacket.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

What is wrong with you people. If all you want to do is sit under your hand crocheted blanket and sip hot soup out of a flask, stay at home and watch on the tv.

Is it wrong to get behind your team, show a little passion and get excited when they score.

I get so angry about our section of the caterpillar stand. For most of the game it's like a morgue and I feel as though my dad and I are the only ones getting behind the team.

I admire the Quins supporters who were still cheering even when their team were getting hammered.

Get a grip people. Try considering that the people in front of you are getting up because the people in front of them are getting up.

Join in, you might enjoy it.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If you buy a seat, sit in it.
If you want passion, shouting and so on, come in to the Crumbie.
We even tell the opposing team to sit down if there's action in the TV studio corner.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

rich1576 wrote:What is wrong with you people. If all you want to do is sit under your hand crocheted blanket and sip hot soup out of a flask, stay at home and watch on the tv.

Is it wrong to get behind your team, show a little passion and get excited when they score.

I get so angry about our section of the caterpillar stand. For most of the game it's like a morgue and I feel as though my dad and I are the only ones getting behind the team.

I admire the Quins supporters who were still cheering even when their team were getting hammered.

Get a grip people. Try considering that the people in front of you are getting up because the people in front of them are getting up.

Join in, you might enjoy it.
The lady who sits near me cannot get up without aid and she is a long time season ticket holder. There are others in her condition. There are children who also cannot see if people stand.

The attitude displayed in the above post is "I don't care about anyone else, I am only there for my own pleasure so if anyone else suffers - so what?" Go to the terrace and you may stand all you want. Meanwhile, you may wish to consider your attitude to others; selfishness never used to be a characteristic of Tigers.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I am in the Cat and whilst the people near me are very polite and decent folks they spend the game in complete silence such is their right! However. I get all sorts of disapproving looks and murmurs because I am vocally getting behind our team such is my right. Yes I stand up because I want to see a try because I cannot see through the person in front of me standing up that is my right. This issue would be somewhat alleviated if we had the benefit of a large screen for an action replay. Sadly its my observation that at our last game unlike the Quins supporters we only got behind our team after we scored and unusually if we lose.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Please don't send the stander uppers to the Crumbie terrace.

I'm an ST holder there and usually a 6 footer comes from the bar with 2 minutes to kick off and stands in front of me.
By then we are standing shoulder to shoulder and belly to bum so cannot shuffle around to enable to see.

The Cat stand does in general appear to lack passion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Old Hob wrote:The lady who sits near me cannot get up without aid and she is a long time season ticket holder. There are others in her condition. There are children who also cannot see if people stand.

The attitude displayed in the above post is "I don't care about anyone else, I am only there for my own pleasure so if anyone else suffers - so what?" Go to the terrace and you may stand all you want. Meanwhile, you may wish to consider your attitude to others; selfishness never used to be a characteristic of Tigers.
I am very surprised that you have drawn such a conclusion of me from one post on this forum.

Maybe you should consider your attitude to others, who simply want to express their support to the team they love.

I'm not condoning people standing up. I was forced to do it on Saturday because others in front of me stood up. I am just complaining about the general lack of passion in a lot of Tigers supporters. For most of the match they look like they're watching a play at the theatre and it's only when we are winning by miles that they do anything. Very frustrating.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As a comparison, I went to the theatre on Saturday night (v popular musical show currently on in Leicester). At the finale everyone was on their feet apart from two people on the very front row on the far right hand side, one of whom had a walking stick, and a man two rows behind me who had grumbled throughout the show. That was acceptable because once a few start to stand and dance, everyone else joins in and it's great.

However, before the interval there was a group of ladies (very loud, with big glasses of wine) who got up and were singing and jumping and dancing at a non-participating part of the show. People behind them were craning their necks and it wasn't until the music went to a slow quiet ballad that they sat down again. That - to me - is not acceptable.

I think the point some users are trying to make is - by all means jump up and cheer WHEN we score, but don't jump up and remain standing as the player runs towards being able to score, thus preventing others seeing it happen. And always be mindful of those sitting behind you who may not be able to jump up. Consideration doesn't mean you are a dullard or a lack of enthusiasm fan.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

i can't read all this or it will wind me up, i complained to the club this week for this very reason, and as i've put on another thread i have a new song for next season:
I have a new song that I shall sing from my seat on the back row of the Crumbie Stand - it goes like this:

ALL SIT DOWN ALL SIT DOWN

SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF ME

SIT DOWN DOWN DOW OW OW OWN

SO I CAN SEEEEEEEEEEE E
if this happens next season text 88010 then Tigers and tell the club where the issue is, text it and it goes through to the ticket office who will come and deal with this straight away. Seats are for us to park our bums and watch the match and celebrate AFTER the guys score - our mouths can shout our support and we can jump up to celebrate.

if people want to stand they can go on the terrace.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Well said Rizzo. I missed two out of 4 tries last Saturday because of people jumping up - for the Goneva try he was hardly over the 22 metre line before they stood. Its like a Mexican wave - one does it so all have to do it. By all means stand, applaud, show passion AFTER the try has been scored but don't spoil the enjoyment of those who have paid for a seat.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Northeast Tiger wrote:
mikefro wrote:Somebody tell me what is wrong with me. What a fantastic afternoon of pure rugby was ruined by stupid rude ignorant individuals leaping to ther feet and girating about like over excited-children whenever Tigers came anywhere near Quins try line. This, relatively new habit, copied from football supporters, ruins the game for so many people. No matter where you sit in the stand(Goldsmith), because of its excellent design means that it is possible to see everything that happens on the pitch. That is of course until a try is being scored. Sit down, shout and scream and applaud as much as you like the players love it. But please sit down. If you really need to stand up why not just stand on the terrace. Somebody please tell me what is wrong with me.
Tip your drink on to their seat. When they sit down and get a shock, explain sorry, you knocked it out of my hand when you jumped up in excitement. The message gets through on the third wetting. :smt044
A cunning plan but a disgraceful waste of beer. Take a bottle of water just for this purpose. :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Tigersunited wrote:What a fantastic atmosphere at the game, well under capacity too...
Is it a coincidence that some of the old school dont like the play offs and do not attend...........
Actually I don't think it's the dinosaurs like me who didn't attend. The regular attendees seemed to all be there - what isn't there is all the groups and occasional attendees who tend to plan their special trips weeks in advance and who probably don't even consider attending a semifinal. What was good this year was the Quins fans who were numerous, noisy, enthusiastic and great fun unlike Sarries unpleasant bunch last year.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

OK I dare - disagree with a moderator, that is.

We weren't at a theatre on Saturday, we were at a sporting venue. Other entertainments do not require everyone at moments of high tension or excitement to be seated - even when you've paid MUCH more money than we do to watch Tigers (believe me, it's possible), so for example in my case Coldplay and The Killers last year. On Friday night I too went to the theatre, as it happens to an internationally renowned company production of a well known 400 year-old play, where many in the audience applauded at the end while on their feet (in the past there would have been far greater interaction between players and audience/crowd).

On Saturday I confess I was one of those who stood as Goneva broke clear. it was an intensely exciting moment, at a critical moment in a critical game, at the end of a prolonged passage of entertaining play, and was a demonstration of great skill and commitmment on the part of the players concerned. If I hadn't stood when I did I wouldn't have seen whether his foot was in touch but my reaction was instinctive, directly caused by my passion for the game and the team.

My point is that we don't go WR to observe or to passively receive what is handed down. Surely we go to support, to encourage, to experience great highs and lows, perhaps to forget the drudgery of pallid everyday life. We go as 'the 16th man', so explicitly appreciated by the players. I'm glad I stood and I'll do it again, when the circumstances so make me.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I'm glad I stood and I'll do it again, when the circumstances so make me.
Grimlish whilst i respect your view this made my blood boil - the reason being is your total lack of consideration for the people behind you - i choose to be seated at the back of the Crumbie stand - I choose to remain independent and not give in to multiple sclerosis - that said every time an ignorant idiot stands up in front of me i have to try and stand up quickly so as not to miss anything and 9 times out of 10 i'm in pain.

So to those ignorant prats who keep standing up in front of people then SHAME on you....... if you want to stand go to the terrace - i wish i had the ability to stand for that long and not have to suffer because of the likes of you and those like minded to you.

We can and are the 16th man seated or standing, just because we remain seated doesn't mean that we support the team any less, it means we have respect for our fellow supporters and being seated isn't a cheap option either.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061