stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Post by Grimlish »

Nik, you miss my point. I am at a rugby match. My passions are engaged. There's a moment of magic. I'll stand up, as generations before have done and will do in future at such times. I'm sorry you can't stand so quickly or without pain. But that won't, indeed can't, stop me standing. It's not so much a choice at that point, as a simple expression of my passion and emotion. I'm not ashamed of that emotion, in fact that's a part of why I choose to go to watch Tigers. I hope you can enjoy watching Tigers too, in person, but please don't expect me to stop standing because in common with most other fans I can't and won't.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

After my conversation with the club on Monday i'll be forwarding your comments grimlish - i don't want your sympathy i don't want anyone's sympathy - you are trying to cloud your lack of respect for other supporters as emotions - you have a choice of standing - go do it on the terrace - but no you'd rather disrupt everyone around you and say it's passion for the game.

I'm pleased others here witness your ignorance and hope that others around you report you every time you stand next season - you'll soon get the message that you're so called 'passion' isn't wanted in the seated area.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

That'll be me and about 9,000 others in the Cat stand alone, probably 15,000 in the whole ground then. I'm not offering sympathy just a realistic view of how people in such situations do in fact behave. It's a natural part of being human. Not to acknowledge that would be as a out as realistic as saying you should jump up quicker,
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Oh dear,

Looks like we need a new set of protocols once the emergency text is sent to the ticket office. What about these suggestions;

All seats to be fitted with seat belts - these can then be employed automatically if someone crosses the line and stands during game time, (Including toilets breaks will not be allowed unless permission is granted in the time honoured fashion, following raising of the right hand)

Over zealous clappers to be issued with gloves to avoid irritating sensitive lugholes

Gobstoppers to be mandatory for those noisy shouters, with all supporters encouraged to shush at will

Or we could all act as adults and accept that everyone supports differently. Its everyone's prerogative to have a different view of what is acceptable, provided its within the law of the land. As already noted if its really annoying, have a chat and see if you can make a new friend. Just because you have a preference to sit, or stand, it does not mean everyone has to agree.
Last time I was in the CAT stand I was roundly shouted down when I stood up. I stood because those in front of me were on there feet but rather than soak them or push them down I also stood. It was that simple.............
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

rich1576 wrote:
Old Hob wrote:The lady who sits near me cannot get up without aid and she is a long time season ticket holder. There are others in her condition. There are children who also cannot see if people stand.

The attitude displayed in the above post is "I don't care about anyone else, I am only there for my own pleasure so if anyone else suffers - so what?" Go to the terrace and you may stand all you want. Meanwhile, you may wish to consider your attitude to others; selfishness never used to be a characteristic of Tigers.
I am very surprised that you have drawn such a conclusion of me from one post on this forum.

I'm not condoning people standing up. I was forced to do it on Saturday because others in front of me stood up.
No-one forced you - you chose to; or to put it another way you lacked the self-will to remain seated.
The people in front of our row were told to sit down, they got the message and passed it on. Some people stood for the next try; the message was passed on by the fourth try it was only a few: education works.
You still have not acknowledged that your actions interfere with others less physically able than yourself, or smaller.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Grimlish wrote:That'll be me and about 9,000 others in the Cat stand alone, probably 15,000 in the whole ground then. I'm not offering sympathy just a realistic view of how people in such situations do in fact behave. It's a natural part of being human. Not to acknowledge that would be as a out as realistic as saying you should jump up quicker,
Actually, Grimlish that is NOT how people USED to behave. In the Crumbie being seated meant being seated. Excitement was/is intense and it was acknowledged that to stand meant spoiling someone's view (able-bodied or otherwise);there was self-discipline and respect for others.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

"Or we could all act as adults and accept that everyone supports differently. Its everyone's prerogative to have a different view of what is acceptable, provided its within the law of the land. As already noted if its really annoying, have a chat and see if you can make a new friend. Just because you have a preference to sit, or stand, it does not mean everyone has to agree.
Last time I was in the CAT stand I was roundly shouted down when I stood up. I stood because those in front of me were on there feet but rather than soak them or push them down I also stood. It was that simple.............

This is just moronic. Of course it is not acceptable that everyone does their own thing. That anarchic view means that a big fat drunk can stand up in a seated area all day. It is also morally puerile to say that because other people broke the rules (unwritten or not) then it's OK for me to do it.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

For me the optimum word here is consideration. Sure you get swept up in excitement and jump up, but a second or two's thought for others might make you have consideration for people behind who may not be able to jump or stand. Thus the next time you get swept up in excitement, you try to be considerate.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Old Hob wrote:
This is just moronic. Of course it is not acceptable that everyone does their own thing. That anarchic view means that a big fat drunk can stand up in a seated area all day. It is also morally puerile to say that because other people broke the rules (unwritten or not) then it's OK for me to do it.
Something of a strawman there Old Hob - the argument isn't that you should be allowed to do as you please, it's that standing up or jumping up and down when a try is scored is within the norms for a sporting venue. There is also a question of how far a personal constraint (or even just a personal desire to remain seated) should be allowed to constrain the actions and freedoms of others? People are sometimes very libertarian about their needs and desires but remarkably communitarian about other peoples!

I was in the Crumbie Stand on Saturday and pretty much everyone around us stood up when a try was scored, and continued to do so.

Perhaps the answer was to sit behind some Quins fans :smt002

On a brighter note you won't be suffering us in the Crumbie again (I sat in there for years with my Dad - got tickets there this time as he died recently and we thought it would be good to sit near where he and I used to sit). It was a bit of a miserable experience. Cat stand if the weathers poor, terrace if it's good (where, as we are both over 6 foot, we stand at the back to allow others to see).
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

My children missed every try scored on Sat. due to those standing, very inconsiderate.
Now I know why we stand on the terrace every week, the kids stand at the front and miss nothing !!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd like to say that I feel for the people who have problems with standing because of an injury or disability, but the people who have seats in front of you do not know this. You do know this however, so surely an easy remedy to your problem is if you can choose a seat, choose one near the front?

I don't get to many games these days but when I do I stand on the terrace BTW.

Edit: I just wanted to say I'm not trollin BTW, just a though.
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

I was up on my feet all the time on Saturday, but only AFTER a score. There is absolutely no reason for anyone in the CAT, Goldsmith or Clubhouse to stand up to see a score being made as all seats have a perfect view. If people in the Crumbie seats feel the need to stand then just go down to the standing area. It must be hugely frustrating for those with seats towards the back of the stand.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Quite right TigerPete - Its really sad we have so called supporters like Grimlish who defend their moronic and selfish behaviour .Thank goodness the vast majority of us show some consideration for the enjoyment of others .
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

So - for stating what is obvious to many but clearly not all; that human behaviour isnt going to change because a few Tigers fans would like it to - I get threatened with actual violence, called a moron and worst of all a 'so-called supporter'! :smt026
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Grimlish wrote:So - for stating what is obvious to many but clearly not all; that human behaviour isnt going to change because a few Tigers fans would like it to - I get threatened with actual violence, called a moron and worst of all a 'so-called supporter'! :smt026
Such are the vagaries of the Tigers Forum you always run the risk of getting savaged by some wet sheep.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity