stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Post by mightymouse »

I haven't read all of this thread as frankly it bores me, but I have got the jist of it.

However the most important thing that I get from this is that it once again it reminds me why I always want to stand in the terrace because there, rarely do I come across those who do not want to join in the full experience of a thrilling vibrant sporting occasion and all that it entails - shouting, singing, chanting jumping up and down in great excitment and all the rest of it.

It also reminds why I fought so hard to remain at Welford Road and not go to the the Blue venue across the way. It is also a constant reminder to me that we must never accept any ground or changes to our ground that does not have a fully integrated standing area. I would go as far as to say I would rather watch on TV if I have to sit down at least no one will tell me to sit down if I jump up there (although my daughter does tell me to stop yelling so loudly at the ref because he can't hear me from my front room!) - For all these reasons and many others I have stopped going to Twikenham - robbed for large amounts of money to be told to sit down as hopeully mine team wins ........nope ... I'll stop in the pub for that one!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm in the Mightymouse camp here, I don't sit down when I go to matches except at Murrayfield. When we were playing in the Heineken final and we scored a try to go in front,right in front of where I was sitting, I was up on my feet. No pre-meditated thought I just lept to my feet. The only Tigers supporter in the area(except for my wife beside me),as I was in the area where all the tickets were from local clubs. No one moaned whilst I danced about punching the air, it is part of being passionate in my opinion. I have followed a few sports, and standing happens, some times it's a pain, but it is part of the experience for me. Standing up at Filbert Street or even at Grace Road was not un common back in the 1960's, so it's not new.
Last edited by tigerburnie on Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

jgriffin wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Why does it have to descend into rude comments about "tartan rug brigade" and the like? It's patently obviously that a disability or infirmity has nothing to do with the implied "anyone who stays sitting down is boring and old and therefore requires a tartan rug" digs at people. I don't see that having consideration for others even in the throes of extreme excitement requires a rug, or a jibe from those who want to stand and jump.
Agree wholeheartedly. Didn't realise that there were so many inconsiderate blighters on here. Sad, very sad.
Didnt realise there were so many touchy blighters on here. Sad very sad.
Presumably calling someone a :censored: is ok? If I use the full word the site censors it, but as jgriffin is in the other tartan rug camp he must be allowed to call people that. :smt045
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 1966 »

I would describe myself, and family, as casual supporters who follow Rugby, Football and Cricket, attending approximately half a dozen matches of each per season, picking the games which we think will be the most exciting and 'get us out of our seats'. This does not mean that we spend most of the match standing, but we do stand in the throes of tries, goals and sixes/fours.

In my opinion if this is a major issue affecting a sizeable proportion of Tigers season ticket holders / members, then the club should make a decision on what is acceptable and what is not. If Welford road is designated a standing free zone I will, with a heavy heart, stop attending and watch more from home.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Johnnyg wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Why does it have to descend into rude comments about "tartan rug brigade" and the like? It's patently obviously that a disability or infirmity has nothing to do with the implied "anyone who stays sitting down is boring and old and therefore requires a tartan rug" digs at people. I don't see that having consideration for others even in the throes of extreme excitement requires a rug, or a jibe from those who want to stand and jump.
Agree wholeheartedly. Didn't realise that there were so many inconsiderate blighters on here. Sad, very sad.
Presumably calling someone a :censored: is ok? If I use the full word the site censors it, but as jgriffin is in the other tartan rug camp he must be allowed to call people that. :smt045
Two posts have been edited. ALL users are aware that there is an automatic censor for banned words, and please do not try and get round it by using symbols or so on, it's obvious what you mean and it just means we edit by hand.
And FYI the moderators are not on here 24/7 - we visit and deal with things as soon as we can.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
JWP
Tiger Cub

Post by JWP »

This is obviously an issue. It is such a shame to read so many selfish comments on here. My Grandma is 81, she has had a season ticket since the 1990s. Like many of us on here, watching Tigers play at the weekend is the highlight of her week. She reads the Mercury everyday and tapes the rugby hour on a cassette player so she can listen to it every week.

She sadly has had arthritis in her knees for a number of years. This doesn't mean she is not active, but finds it hard / painful to jump to her feet quickly. There must be a lot of people in a similar position. Also small children who are the next generation of fans have their view impeded by someone who leaps to their feet before a try is scored. By all means stand up and applaud a try once it has been grounded. If you want to stand for the whole game do so on the terrace.

The hash tag #tigersfamily is branded everywhere. I bet a lot of the people who stand up before a try are the first people to remind folk that at Welford Road we respect both kickers with silence. Let's keep the family atmosphere that has made this club such a success and respect others around us by not blocking their view. At the end of the day they have paid for a ticket to 'watch' the match. Families always have disagreements :smt023
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

JWP wrote:This is obviously an issue. It is such a shame to read so many selfish comments on here. My Grandma is 81, she has had a season ticket since the 1990s. Like many of us on here, watching Tigers play at the weekend is the highlight of her week. She reads the Mercury everyday and tapes the rugby hour on a cassette player so she can listen to it every week.

She sadly has had arthritis in her knees for a number of years. This doesn't mean she is not active, but finds it hard / painful to jump to her feet quickly. There must be a lot of people in a similar position. Also small children who are the next generation of fans have their view impeded by someone who leaps to their feet before a try is scored. By all means stand up and applaud a try once it has been grounded. If you want to stand for the whole game do so on the terrace.

The hash tag #tigersfamily is branded everywhere. I bet a lot of the people who stand up before a try are the first people to remind folk that at Welford Road we respect both kickers with silence. Let's keep the family atmosphere that has made this club such a success and respect others around us by not blocking their view. At the end of the day they have paid for a ticket to 'watch' the match. Families always have disagreements :smt023
Well said JWP
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think JWP and(I think)Nik have highlighted some thing a bit away from the op and that is the fact that some fans are less able than others. Perhaps the club could bear this in mind when alocating seats, so that those who are less able are not put in seats that do not have a good view, maybe a question when applying for a season ticket about mobility and easier access?. Obviously you can't ask every punter are you going to stand up if you get excited, any more than you can ask them to remain in their seats, it is not practical.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:I think JWP and(I think)Nik have highlighted some thing a bit away from the op and that is the fact that some fans are less able than others. Perhaps the club could bear this in mind when alocating seats, so that those who are less able are not put in seats that do not have a good view, maybe a question when applying for a season ticket about mobility and easier access?. Obviously you can't ask every punter are you going to stand up if you get excited, any more than you can ask them to remain in their seats, it is not practical.
Many season ticket holders have held the same seats for many years. We have sat with the same people for many years. It would be largely impractical for the club to reallocate tickets every season.

Let me make it perfctly clear, I have no axe to grind - although no longer as sprightly as I once was I "sit" on the back row of the Crumbie - there is no-one behind me - so I can choose to sit or stand as the mood takes me. This is why we took those seats when they were first allocated.
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

tigerburnie wrote:I think JWP and(I think)Nik have highlighted some thing a bit away from the op and that is the fact that some fans are less able than others. Perhaps the club could bear this in mind when alocating seats, so that those who are less able are not put in seats that do not have a good view, ...
As previously noted, the club already offers this. It is just that some decline to ask for or take this option.

Also, don't we get regular calls from players to the fans to demonstrate their passion and be the 16th man?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

Bill W (2) wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I think JWP and(I think)Nik have highlighted some thing a bit away from the op and that is the fact that some fans are less able than others. Perhaps the club could bear this in mind when alocating seats, so that those who are less able are not put in seats that do not have a good view, maybe a question when applying for a season ticket about mobility and easier access?. Obviously you can't ask every punter are you going to stand up if you get excited, any more than you can ask them to remain in their seats, it is not practical.
Many season ticket holders have held the same seats for many years. We have sat with the same people for many years. It would be largely impractical for the club to reallocate tickets every season.

Let me make it perfctly clear, I have no axe to grind - although no longer as sprightly as I once was I "sit" on the back row of the Crumbie - there is no-one behind me - so I can choose to sit or stand as the mood takes me. This is why we took those seats when they were first allocated.
I have a different problem. I'm in the upper CAT, front row just behind the area for those in wheelchairs. I have a perfect view of the whole ground and no one can stand up or do anything to obstruct my view. On the other hand, I know that if I stand up everyone behind me and diagonally will have to stand up to see. So even though if I wanted to jump up and down I understand the effect on other supporters. I shout and sing and I am as passionate as any in the ground but have to respect the view for others. If anyone wants to see how this behaviour gets totally out of hand just go to any premier football match where standing is effectively permanently forced upon whole sections of the 'fully seated' grounds. This is not an old versus young issue or even one of who displays more passion, it's just one of consideration to others.
NaptonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by NaptonTiger »

You could broaden this "debate" to include those in the crumbie who insist on standing chatting to their mates until the teams run out, those people who are always late in getting to their seats every match or those who need to go and buy beer during play & spill it on their way back!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Johnnyg wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
What are you on about? :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I think - jgriffin - that johnnyg was referring to a word that was edited in your quoted post ( I substituted blighters), to which he responded by using another word/term (rather worse) which was also edited. And he was saying you were getting preferential treatment because it was an hour or so before the posts got edited.

I would ask all users please not to swear, call names or use abbreviations, asterisks or symbols etc to enable them to use a swearword which would otherwise be picked up by the automatic swear filter. It just means the moderators have to edit by hand but we will pick up such words and expressions.

And now back to the topic - hopefully without insults!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Without insults, I think all members shouod behave with consideration for those other members around them. Is this too much to ask?
Still keeping the faith!