Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

England Squad for Argentina

Post by Will S »

Forwards (18)
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby, 2 caps)
Rob Buchanan (Harlequins, uncapped)
Calum Clark (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Alex Corbisiero (London Irish, 18 caps)
Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs, 5 caps)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps, 9 caps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 20 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 10 caps)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby, 10 caps)
David Paice (London Irish, 6 caps)
Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Billy Vunipola (London Wasps, uncapped)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby, 26 caps)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, captain, 18 caps)

Backs (14)
Mike Brown (Harlequins, 16 caps)
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints, 7 caps)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints, 30 caps)
Alex Goode (Saracens, 11 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish, 4 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
David Strettle (Saracens, 13 caps)
Joel Tomkins (Saracens, uncapped)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby, 4 caps)
Christian Wade (London Wasps, uncapped)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 12 caps)
Marland Yarde (London Irish, uncapped)
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad for Argentina

Post by BJ. »

The above information is from the RFU site here. It says Anthony Allen (and James Haskell) have not been considered for the tour on medical grounds.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Seems that 12T is the only other 10 option after Burns. Will be interesting if Burns gets injured!
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Think Goode would be another backup to Burns along with 12T. He does tend to play as an additional 10 in attack rather than attacking from deep as a 'traditional' 15 would.

Given that Brown (admittedly played as a winger by Lancaster so far), Foden and May are also going on the tour taking Goode as a utility back rather than as a 15 makes more sense looking at the limited 10 options picked.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Congrats to Ed Slater dissapointed that Kitchener and Matthew Tait did not make the squad thought they both deserved to :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

What! Only one Tigers player? How the mighty have fallen. Just goes to show that we are not developing the talent. :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

tigerben wrote:Think Goode would be another backup to Burns along with 12T. He does tend to play as an additional 10 in attack rather than attacking from deep as a 'traditional' 15 would.

Given that Brown (admittedly played as a winger by Lancaster so far), Foden and May are also going on the tour taking Goode as a utility back rather than as a 15 makes more sense looking at the limited 10 options picked.
I seem to remember Goode being pretty poor at 10 when he played there for Sarries - I think it was one of the reasons that Farrell got so much game time at such a young age.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:What! Only one Tigers player? How the mighty have fallen. Just goes to show that we are not developing the talent. :smt003 :smt003
Don't start. :smt018 :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
tigerben wrote:Think Goode would be another backup to Burns along with 12T. He does tend to play as an additional 10 in attack rather than attacking from deep as a 'traditional' 15 would.

I seem to remember Goode being pretty poor at 10 when he played there for Sarries - I think it was one of the reasons that Farrell got so much game time at such a young age.
I don't disagree with you, however time may tell that Lancaster disagrees with us!
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

I'm suprised that Lancaster has opted not to select Tait. I think Tait has been the form FB over the last month or so. Foden's form has been non existant all season. And as for Goode, I think he has shown very little other than solidity under the high ball.

Tait will only get better the more he plays at FB. As for the three Lancaster has opted to take none of these will improve significantly.

I expect Tait to have an added incentive when he takes to the field on Sat and prove a point to the Eng selectors.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

So Allen is not considered on medical grounds but Cockers has said he will be fit for saturday :smt017, whos talking rubbish Cockers or Lancaster?

Disappointed that Kitchner is not in the squad and Tait should definitely by there imo, he is the form fullback and offers a bit of flair rather than just being solid like the others selected there.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Kitch, Tait are unlucky and lets not forget Thompstone, IMO Thompstone offers more of a complete package than Wade and Yarde at the moment
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

kingol22 wrote:So Allen is not considered on medical grounds but Cockers has said he will be fit for saturday :smt017, whos talking rubbish Cockers or Lancaster?

could be he has a longer term injury that is due to be operated on over Summer but is fit short term?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Looks like a fringe/development squad and no real arguments about who is in to be honest. Shame some players are missing, including those mentioned, but with our Lions contingent, glad we have a few getting a rest this summer and we can hit the ground running with most of our squad ready.
The season is far from over, but already I am looking forward to next year, new coach and new players to spice things up. Lions to welcome back who will raise the bar even further for us next year, magic our Morris , as a certain Leicester lad used to say(or is it Maurice?)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Cardiff Tig wrote:

Goode was injured when Farrell started getting game time at 10. He'd started about 4 games from 7 for Sarries, sharing with Hougaard. First Hougaard got injured, and then Goode, and then Nils Mordt got a go, and then eventually Farrell. By the time Goode returned from injury 2 months later, Farrell was in place.

Goode was pretty average in a televised match (london double header), played well the following week against Sale, missed a couple of games with injury, came back and played fullback for a couple of games, shifted to fly-half for a couple of games (don't recall them - they weren't on TV) and then was out injured again.

There's something of a myth that he was a poor FH and was displaced by Farrell, but it's not actually true. He wasn't a stand out in the position (but wasn't bad), and when he came back the combination of Farrell's decent form and an injury to Chris Wyles meant that the 10/15 dilemma was actually a bit of a no-brainer.