Great shame, but what a player.. up there with the Tigers' Legends
cheers
Rich
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy retires

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Loved by all those whose hearts flow with red, green and white but loathed by supporters of many other clubs. Geordan has been a class act and a real ambassador for Tigers and Ireland. He will be missed on the field but hopefully his touch will now be felt off of it in the Tigers 'boot room'.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Confirmed on Sportsmole and Sky too so that would seem to be it sadly.

Good look to you Geordan and thanks for all that you have done down the years

Yes, love to have you in the 'boot room' continuing the traditions of all the things that the Club does so well

Happy Retirement whatevfer it may bring you!
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

A true Tigers legend. Let's hope we hear of us signing up on a coaching contract at Welford Road pronto!! :smt038
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

according to espn "He will still be at the club next season in what is likely to be a coaching capacity."
cheers
Rich
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

What a career that man has had. I know players don't always make great coaches but if he can take what he's done with Tait and scale it up then I don't see why he wouldn't make a great coach.

Every time we've won the premiership with Murphy as captain, he's given the honour of lifting it to a retiring player. Hopefully Flood will be able to return the favour this year.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Confirmed on Sky Sports that he has retired with immediate effect and will join the coaching staff - http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... from-rugby
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

It's a great shame but none of us are getting younger and the pro game is a very (physically) hard place to make a living. I think we should all feel very honoured to have seen one of the game's great exponents and to have witnessed some stunning moments of rugby genius. Good luck Geordan.

Oh, and if you ever get the chance to see him giving a talk take it - you will not regret it. He's as entertaining off the pitch as he was on it. (That just doesn't sound right, as he was on it.)
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I am really proud to have seen him play so often. I respect the fantastic service he has given the club, yet wonder if the best is yet to come.

PS EOS - hang your head in shame, you excuse for a DOR for Ireland. you deliberately ignored a great talent in his prime. Karma however, you got what you deserved for that (and shafting Gatland).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

... and he was pretty good last Saturday as well: still no equal under the high ball (although Niall Morris looks the part).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wonderful player, great bloke :smt023

How many noticed the way he deceived the LI player on Saturday when running back to get a ball in the 22? He must have known the player was bearing down on him, so he caught the ball, dropped to his knees and crouched all in one Murphy-esque moment and the LI player went flying over him into thin air!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'd like to add my thanks to, great player and I hope he is with us for many years in his new roles.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Not just a Tigers Legend but a truely great bloke. When he allowed Cozza, Moody and Kay to lift the GP cups it just epitomised the man. A true Team Player who is pure class.

Will never forget his chip and chase dummy in his second season as he ran down the wing and effectively did a quick tap at full pace. All the defenders jumped to charge down and he just carried on running.

Then there was the leader in Murphy who has got better and better over the last 3 years and his leadership this year when he has taken to the field has been immense!

Good luck in all future adventures!

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 54,00.html
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Leicester Mercury piece here

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/M ... z2SbZBZQuH

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... his-career

Geordie was my daughter's favourite player from when she was about 11, and having met and talked with the man many times she has never wavered. All round nice chap with a twinkle in his eye, and a player with those "what's he going to do now....oh Geordie, no....oh....OH...YESSSS!" moments.

Like this (near the end) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPkEb5gRNNM
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother