Murphy retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Murphy retires

Post by fortysix »

We have been privileged to have playing for us one of the finest full backs ever playing first class rugby.
He had everything and will be impossible to replicate...
Thank God he is staying on as a Coach.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Superlatives aplenty are deservedly his ..... one word sums it all up for me : LEGEND :smt038
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think he should lead the team out on Saturday. Lead the team out to a standing ovation and a deafening cheer.

The word legend is overused, especially in sport but Murphy genuinely is a true legend.

Geordan, it has been an honour and a privilege to have watched you play for this great club.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

One of the last skilfull players around. A man who is a true genius who could do things no one else could. Never appreciated enough in Ireland by conservative coaches who looked at areas he awas not as strong at rather than the outstanding areas.

He will be missed.A great player even in the era of defence and gym monkeys. He has shown there is still a palce for fast feet and an even faster brain!

Thank you
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

We don't do sentiment very well at Tigers, I suppose its our way. But every now and again its necessary to show what something or someone means to the club.

So on Saturday at the final whistle, win or lose, Geordan get yourself out onto that pitch and take a lap of honour so that the Welford Road faithful can show there appreciation for all you have given to them over 16 years.

Along with everyone else its been an honour and a privilege to see you play, best wishes for success in you new role.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm welling up a little just reading these farewells, lord knows what'll happen when that trademark grin appears in a Tigers shirt for the last time. At least we never had to endure seeing the great man pull somebody else's colours on.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

My missus calls me an 'unfeeling barsteward' as I never get emotional over movies or sad news stories etc. but on hearing this news and Castro it gives me a lump in my throat...

A win on Saturday would be a good send off from WR.
cheers
Rich
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

No doubt losing him will create a huge gap, although i have confidence that he can also fill that through passing his knowledge onto the next generation
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

Undoubtedly a rugby legend, with his throwback physique and silky skills. How he keeps getting up after all the physical flak that has rained down on him season after season is beyond me.
But more than that he is a fantastic ambassador for the game, his club and for himself. I will always remember the times when travelling away, and he comes up to you, looks you in the eye, shakes your hand and says, 'Thanks for coming!'. The pleasure has been all ours Geords.
To Toulouse and beyond...
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

A true legend. :smt023

I was so disappointed when we went to the 2003 World Cup in Australia that Geordan was missing from the Ireland squad due to that awful fractured leg he suffered in one of the warm up matches. Ireland needed him.

I'll miss his skill. Let's hope he can pass it on through his coaching. :smt001