Attendance Saturday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

paula123

Attendance Saturday

Post by paula123 »

The club have announced over 12,000 ticket sales already.That's really good going considering it was a bank holiday. Should be around the 22-23,000 mark :smt038
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Attendance Saturday

Post by MrPartridge »

We have talked about this before in other threads and it has been noted that none of our last 3 home SFs have sold out - none close...

I can't understand any reason why the game will not sellout:

1) This is our most important game of the season
2) Saturday 3pm KO - as lots on here constantly ask for
3) Quins will bring a decent contingent (surely more than Irish/Wasps... and both sold out)
4) Good weather is predicted for the weekend

Sure it is on TV, but if this doesn't sell out as per previous SF's I'll be confused... Out of interest, does anyone know the stats from previous years in terms of how many season ticket holders don't re-book to attend the SF? I'm curious!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

As of Monday, there were no pairs of seats left anywhere in the ground, only singles dotted around so assume we are heading for a full-house or at least all seats sold even if not all show up.
But agree that you would have thought Quins could/should be able to muster some decent travelling support, particularly as has been said on other posts that messrs Care & Robshaw are bound to feel they have a point to the Lions management.
Do hope that as per those other posts, we will concentrate on Care's tap & go this time: it looked bad enough in the flesh down at The Stoop but was actually even worse on our part when I watched the game again at home on TV
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

just had a look for tickets availability and it looks like there are quite a few left. it wasn't until last night that the ST seats were freed up if they weren't being used.
cheers
Rich
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I shan't waste my money on a payoff match.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Isambard wrote:I shan't waste my money on a payoff match.
I know the play off system is a little ridiculous but the fact is that it exists and Leicester will be playing for a chance to win the premiership trophy.

If we end up winning it, will you not recognise us as champions?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I shan't waste my money on a payoff match.
Is this a serious comment? The playoffs are a fact of life and I must say that I like them. They extend the season and see the best 4 teams competing for the trophy in sudden death games.

I suppose we could go back to the old system and crown the team that finished top of the league as champions... so with that in mind - congratulations to Saracens! :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm afraid Mrs G is old skool (why play-offs? it's a league!) although she reckons that the top four might structure their season slightly differently if aiming for top spot only. Tigers would probably never win, since we provide such a large chunk of rep sides.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

MrPartridge wrote:
Is this a serious comment? The playoffs are a fact of life and I must say that I like them. They extend the season and see the best 4 teams competing for the trophy in sudden death games.

I suppose we could go back to the old system and crown the team that finished top of the league as champions... so with that in mind - congratulations to Saracens! :smt002
Yes it is. I agree with Isambard and believe whoever finishes top of the table after playing each other home and away are the champions. The pay-off system is akin to that form of track cycle racing in which the riders :censored: about for three laps and then make a mad dash for the line in the final lap.

The pay-offs are nothing more than revenue generators and two more chances for players to be injured plus they decrease the downtime players need between seasons. Don't forget it was in the pay-off semi v Bristol in 2007 that Harry Ellis injured his knee. He never fully recovered and was forced to retire at just 28. He could still be with us now.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Exactly JG. With the current system of losing our internationals for about one third of the league matches what incentive would there be to develop young English talent etc...all the Prem sides would look to employ ex internationals (mainly foreign), would you rather have that system Isambard?!

The play offs are fair given the current structure of the season. If we change a la the football prem who never lose internationals for league games, then fair enough the play offs would indeed be pay offs and the top team rightly crowned as champs IMO.

Just look at the farce in the rugby 1st Div (Championship), Newcastle have I think only lost one game all season and they now have to play off to get promoted - now those games really are pay offs!!!!

Maybe some don't realise but London Welsh finished 4th last season and won the pay offs, in the circs they made a fair fight of staying up but frankly should never have been there in the first place.

LCFC have a chance of being promoted to the prem in the champ play offs despite finishing 6th, but at least the top two are automatically promoted.

For once football is ahead of us here.

In the meantime i bought my 6 terrace tickets for the proper and completely legitimate play off this Saturday and will be supporting Tigers all the way to Twick (hopefully)!!
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm in two minds here, I believe the team that finishes top should be awarded a trophy to reward their consistency through the season.
I do however remember as a player wanting to play on big occasions, those players who will not make international sides have the chance to play at Twickenham in front of a huge crowd, so I am happy for the playoffs to continue.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

It's a professional league. I may be a little cynical but aren't they all "payoff" matches?
BJ. wrote:Don't forget it was in the pay-off semi v Bristol in 2007 that Harry Ellis injured his knee. He never fully recovered and was forced to retire at just 28. He could still be with us now.
Dreadful as this was, by extenson you would seem to be suggesting that players avoid matches where they are at risk of serious injury. Logically I am not sure that I can disagree but that would be, um... all of them?

I seem to recall an old thread raising concerns that players selected for the Lions do not give as much as other players for fear of injury that may affect their touring prospects. With our representation do we have any fears there? I hope not.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

h's dad wrote:It's a professional league. I may be a little cynical but aren't they all "payoff" matches?
That's just it. It isn't a league anymore. When was the last time you heard anyone refer to it as a league? It is simply known as the Aviva Premiership. If it was a league, it would have finished last Saturday and Saracens would have something in their new trophy cabinet in Hendon.
h's dad wrote:Dreadful as this was, by extenson you would seem to be suggesting that players avoid matches where they are at risk of serious injury. Logically I am not sure that I can disagree but that would be, um... all of them?
Not at all. All I'm saying is Harry might still be playing for the Tigers if he hadn't injured his knee in that pay-off semi. Admittedly, he could quite easily have suffered a career-ending injury in the first match of the next season but that would have taken place in a match that was necessary for a league to exist: IMHO the pay-offs are not necessary.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I am genuinely surprised that forum members appear to be so 'anti-playoffs'.

Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season and I think that is fair enough. Finish Top 4 and you are in with a chance, albeit a very small one if you look at the historical stats on the teams that don't secure a home SF.

I can't see how people can suggest it isn't a league anymore... bottom club is relegated and if you finish 5th or lower then you won't make the playoffs.

Also interesting that no one seems to want to come back on my point that if you go back to the 'old school' approach, then Saracens win the title this year (and Quins last - although they did anyway via the playoffs). Infact 3 of the last 4 teams to top the table won in the playoffs anyway....

And to suggest the playoffs cost Harry Ellis his career is frankly ridiculous IMHO
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I'll put it as simply as I can.
MrPartridge wrote:I am genuinely surprised that forum members appear to be so 'anti-playoffs'.
Why? Just because a system is in operation doesn't mean we all have to like it. Income tax has been around in this country since the late 18th century but that doesn't mean I enjoy paying it.
MrPartridge wrote:Also interesting that no one seems to want to come back on my point that if you go back to the 'old school' approach, then Saracens win the title this year (and Quins last - although they did anyway via the playoffs). Infact (sic) 3 of the last 4 teams to top the table won in the playoffs anyway.
I would have no problems with Saracens being named champions last Saturday for the simple reason they accrued the most points during the regular season.
MrPartridge wrote:And to suggest the playoffs cost Harry Ellis his career is frankly ridiculous IMHO
I am merely stating the cold fact that Harry sustained an injury in a match I believe should not have been played.

It's painfully obvious we are not going to agree on this matter and I see no point in pursuing it further.