Home semi final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Home semi final

Post by tigerburnie »

We used to have a tradition of talking about the up coming game on this messageboard, that seems to have been replaced by discussing anything but the Tigers. Some used to berate one poster that used to post on here, just because he started the post too early in the week for some other posters.
Well we have a home sell out against a tough team and it's a record for the premiership, nine semi's in a row. Possibly some players will not be with us next year, so a chance to say goodbye and thanks. Not sure how our injury situation is sitting, but I think we may see some changes to the squad for this match.
Geordan has hinted that he may not be playing, could be on the bench or in his new role on the touch lines. Castro might be on the bench for a last outing before he leaves, wonder if Bubbles will be on the bench if Geordie isn't.
There's going to be one great atmosphere, just hope I can make it to the ground to enjoy it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Home semii final

Post by Bill W (2) »

Still keeping the faith!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Home semi final

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Bill W (2) wrote:Thread already started here.

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... =1&t=36344
Not really, that thread is about Robshaw and Care and quite rightly belongs on the Quins message board. As TB says there are a lot of threads about other things, let's be positive and talk about our boys and say goodbye to some valiant warriors.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Artuin
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Artuin »

Yes keep this one going - with positive thoughts only???? :smt002
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well this should be a great game particularly as we haven't beaten Quins for ages.O'Shea has already talked it up for his players because we have 6 Lions and they have none, so lots of motivation on both sides.I shall be making even more noise cheering the lads on and just hope we do have everyone who played on Saturday available, along with Thomo and Slates(very doubtful according to rumours on here).Slater's power will be missed if he is injured. Any of the 4 teams in the semis can win, Quins and Sarries will be very confident, with us and Saints having to overcome psychological battle of playing teams we've struggled against. Need Salvi and Crane to get to Care quickly all through the game. COME ON TIGERS
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Quinns struggled to beat the team we thrashed at their place, we had a very good win with an all round team game and we are at home, so I am full of confidence even before I've seen the team sheet.
Our front five has been disrupted with injuries, but we are putting that right and we have a back row that's on fire , with backs scoring tries for fun.
Won't be easy, no team gets into the playoffs unless they are good. You can get lucky in one off games, but over the season you have to be good for top four and very good to get a home semi.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

One noticeable improvement against Irish was the conceding of penalties and discipline was good.....very few penalties given away. Discipline will be key......don't give Care the chance of any quick taps and deprive Evans of any kicks for goal.
Defence has been good. The front three need to gain parity or dominance.
Should be a cracking game and Quinns certainly can hurt us given the chance!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:One noticeable improvement against Irish was the conceding of penalties and discipline was good.....very few penalties given away. Discipline will be key......don't give Care the chance of any quick taps and deprive Evans of any kicks for goal.

Agree with all of the above, penalty count against us was probably the best of the season . That said my biggest concern remains the front row specifically loose head, the loss of Marcus is a huge blow and if we can achieve at least parity upfront, match their physicality, defend like Trojans and want it very badly then I believe we will go on to win :smt045
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Tigerbeat wrote:One noticeable improvement against Irish was the conceding of penalties and discipline was good.....very few penalties given away. Discipline will be key......don't give Care the chance of any quick taps and deprive Evans of any kicks for goal.
Agree, at Welford Road last time Evans just kept stretching out their lead. Hopefully Geoff and Crofty can do a job on their lineout and if Cole can get the better of Marler (which he should) then then Logo will be able to survive on parity vs. Jonhston.

Hopefully Slater and Thompstone are fit, on RL RC suggested they would be but that means very little at this time time of year!! If they are then the XV picks itself, if Stanko is back as rumoured that will be a huge positive despite his lack of match fitness. If Slater is fit then I'd have Mafi on the bench over Kitchener for impact.

It's a tough one to call and it certainly won't be easy, I would get the whole side watching the Quins vs. Munster game this week as Munster just upped their intensity and Quins "couldn't handle it". Home advantage despite Quins' good record at WR and their relatively indifferent form since the 6 nations puts it in our favour IMO but the side need to get in the Toulon/ Northampton mindset rather than the Bath one!! I certainly think it will be closer than our last home-semi but I'll go for Tigers by 2-6. :smt027 :smt027
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe that Quins have only ever won twice at Welford road in league games. Stats are great but count for nothing.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Tigerbeat wrote:I believe that Quins have only ever won twice at Welford road in league games. Stats are great but count for nothing.
23 Mar 1991 - Tigers 12 Quins 15
11 Nov 1995 - Tigers 3 Quins 10
27 Apr 1996 - Tigers 19 Quins 21
26 Apr 1997 - Tigers 12 Quins 13
08 Oct 2011 - Tigers 18 Quins 27
22 Sep 2012 - Tigers 9 Quins 22
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

But some of those games we were fielding our "A" team rather than the full match squad, so most don't count.................. :smt004
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerburnie wrote:But some of those games we were fielding our "A" team rather than the full match squad, so most don't count. :smt004
Irrelevant.

A league match is a league match. If they wear green, red and white and come out of the home dressing room at Welford Road, they are the Tigers.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

BJ. wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:But some of those games we were fielding our "A" team rather than the full match squad, so most don't count. :smt004
Irrelevant.

A league match is a league match. If they wear green, red and white (and black :smt023) and come out of the home dressing room at Welford Road, they are the Tigers.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Given the performance on Saturday, as entertaining as it was for the neutral, if the Tigers play the same sort of game this coming Saturday, I (we) won't be seeing them play at Twickers this year. The problem for me is the loose-head side of scrum, not that Logo won't take care of Marler should they start? There were far too many errors and the more the Irish broke up the game the more they came back into it. Quins play a better off-load than Irish and with Care currently on really good form they ball will be moving over a lot of ground. I do believe that should the Tigers get through on Sat, then they will win at Twickers regardless of who it is.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat