Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Champioship nonsense

Post by kingol22 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
DickyP wrote:The laws do specify recommended minimum pitch sizes. Various competitions specify their own and as far as I am aware neither the ERC for the HC, nor the AP have done so in a manner that obviates the use of WR.
I think ERC specify minimum ground capacity for play off games which are significantly larger than Allianz Park.
What does the ground capacity have to do with the size of the pitch?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kingol22 wrote:
What does the ground capacity have to do with the size of the pitch?
Nothing.

Both are criteria for "suitable" stadia.
Still keeping the faith!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Goldington Road's biggest problem and the main reason why it will always fail the Premiership Ground audit is because of the degree of slope on the pitch.

The regs state a maximum permitted slope & Goldington Road isn't even close to being within the allowed tolerance.

Lovely club & ground though but they genuinely have no desire to get promoted to the Premiership. At least not until both the club & the game in general are financially a lot stronger than at present.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

tjs10 wrote:Goldington Road's biggest problem and the main reason why it will always fail the Premiership Ground audit is because of the degree of slope on the pitch.

The regs state a maximum permitted slope & Goldington Road isn't even close to being within the allowed tolerance.

Lovely club & ground though but they genuinely have no desire to get promoted to the Premiership. At least not until both the club & the game in general are financially a lot stronger than at present.
But Bedford have already played in the premiership on that ground, or has the slope suddenly got worse?
I'm thinking that these rules are a shallow way to try and ring fence the premiership and make it a private club. That is wrong in so many ways, not least without proper competition with promotion and relegation the quality could fall.Who ever wins the Championship playoffs should be allowed to take their place in the premiership as long as no one is going to get injured due to the facilities or pitch.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

No, the slope hasn't got worse but the regulations didn't exist back when Bedford were last in the Premiership.

Minimum ground standards were only introduced about a decade ago & also cover grounds of Premiership clubs that get relegated & then subsequently acheive promotion.

eg, if Bath had got relegated the year they were in a basement dogfightwith Bristol they wouldn't have been allowed back up with the Rec as it was. (The main issue then was capacity I think but facilities were also below standard too as I recall).

Welford Road is fine for the current Premiership ground criteria, despite not being up to RWC standard as minimum dimensions for the Premiership are smaller & other RWC facility issues (eg sizes of changing rooms, drug testing rooms & media facilities) are not covered by Premiership ground standards.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

May I just say it's nice to see you posting TJS :smt023 :smt006
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Only a flying visit I'm afraid. I occasionally lurk on here & the unoffy but rarely bother to post on either anymore.

The only reason today has encouraged me to log in again is I am stuck in the office on a VERY quiet day & the weather isn't quite nice enough for a leisurely stroll.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://cornish-pirates.com/rfu_champion ... -2013.html

Some team news for the weekends semi finals in the Championship, lot of familiar names to us here in the Nottingham and Bedford sides, good luck all.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Result for the second leg of the Nottingham Bedfird match was. Nottingham 21 -23 Bedford. Bedford go through by 11 points.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mr Bean wrote:Result for the second leg of the Nottingham Bedfird match was. Nottingham 21 -23 Bedford. Bedford go through by 11 points.
Nottingham left them selves with a mountain to climb in the second half. Got panicked far too early after going behinf by punting 2 or 3 very kickable penalties to the corner in the first half, and then not converting them to points.

Had the HT score been 6/9-20, rather than 0-20, the result could have been somewhat different with the second half performance as good as it was. :smt001
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Disgruntled Notts fan here.. We wuz shafted good and proper. Me and the best mate was musing whilst waiting for the lads to appear in the bar after he game that if Bedford have no intention of going for promotion or modifying the ground to pass the audit then why are they allowed to compete in the playoffs? We think that Bristol should have been allowed to play instead. This isn't just bitter moaning it genuinely does seem unfair. Ps did anyone see the live Twitter stream? Commentating was ex Tigers Academy scrum-half and the player I sponsor Fin Barnham :) much like that certain other Tigers scrum half from Norfolk whose name escapes me ;) he's certainly got the gift of the gab when cameras are around!! Anyway best of luck for the Quins game :)
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

hww27 wrote:Disgruntled Notts fan here.. We wuz shafted good and proper. Me and the best mate was musing whilst waiting for the lads to appear in the bar after he game that if Bedford have no intention of going for promotion or modifying the ground to pass the audit then why are they allowed to compete in the playoffs? We think that Bristol should have been allowed to play instead. This isn't just bitter moaning it genuinely does seem unfair. Ps did anyone see the live Twitter stream? Commentating was ex Tigers Academy scrum-half and the player I sponsor Fin Barnham :) much like that certain other Tigers scrum half from Norfolk whose name escapes me ;) he's certainly got the gift of the gab when cameras are around!! Anyway best of luck for the Quins game :)
Geoff Irvine the Bedford chairman has said he is going to reserve the right to challenge the RFU decision if Bedford win the competition. http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/sport/rug ... -1-5048259
Bedford finished third overall so why shouldn't they be allowed to compete in the play offs? We have been the only team to compete in it all four season. Also if my memory serves me correct this is the first season in which Notts passed the audit so shouldn't they have been able to compete in the previous play offs?
Cracking match last night I was getting a bit worried after Nottingham came out all guns blazing in the second half but luckily (for me) Bedford managed to hold on.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Afraid to say Mr B your memory doesn't serve as we passed the audit last season. Believe we only failed the season before on ONE minor technicality (not enough washbasins I believe it was)
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

I stand corrected on that point then. Primacy of tenure your problem last year?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

To be fair I'd like all teams that get into the playoffs supported by the arghfu to help them into the prem, rather than the PRL doing their best to keep them out. Competition will raise the standards and help spread the support for the game.