Champioship nonsense

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Champioship nonsense

Post by Old Hob »

If Newcastle are the only club in the championship who are willing and able to be promoted aren't the playoffs a farce? Newcastle have an off day, say and the opposing team then do everything they can to lose just in case they end up at the top.
Rum scenario 2; say Newcastle genuinely muff it and come second and the club that wins it is denied promotion then Welsh, without main money man, ground or the majority of their top players will be forced to stay up.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Champioship nonsense

Post by Eon B »

I have a feeling of amused fondness about it really,
but then I'm not much involved.

Generally speaking I'm sure play offs are a sign of the triumph of the moneymen over the clubmen.

It's interesting, to me, that Bedford don't much want to come up. If I were a Bedford fan I'd maybe not want to lose that quirky pitch and homely ground in exchange for the opportunity to be mostly beaten by bigger clubs.

I suppose a better run national game would be a good thing for some but it would be less good for the localness of sport.

So while I agree that it is nonsensical I'll say "It's a strange world, let's keep it that way."
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

It said on sky sports that it is only Bedford of the 4 teams that don't meet the criteria and hence Welsh would only stay up if Bedford win, otherwise one of the others get promoted.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

As a Nottingham fan I'm really quite offended by the assumption that Newcastle are the only team willing or able to be promoted! Our ground passed the audit and we didn't work our backsides off all season just to be 'not bothered' about the playoffs!! I was at Bedford yesterday and yes we lost narrowly and it's far from over but if you had seen the dejected look on our lads faces when they trudged off the pitch you might think twice before saying 'they were not willing' to work for promotion. Not one to have a go usually but it annoys me when posters don't get their facts straight before posting!!!!!!
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

hww27 wrote:As a Nottingham fan I'm really quite offended by the assumption that Newcastle are the only team willing or able to be promoted! Our ground passed the audit and we didn't work our backsides off all season just to be 'not bothered' about the playoffs!! I was at Bedford yesterday and yes we lost narrowly and it's far from over but if you had seen the dejected look on our lads faces when they trudged off the pitch you might think twice before saying 'they were not willing' to work for promotion. Not one to have a go usually but it annoys me when posters don't get their facts straight before posting!!!!!!
Sympathy hww27. Gact remains that if by a fluke Bedford qualified they would not go up and therefore London Oxford Welsh would stay.

But then again if Tigers were relegated arguably they could not then be promoted because the pitch is not big enough!!! Yet the team at the top of the table will be sraging a home semi-final in a ground that is too small for European competitions!!

We live in a strange world.

I blame the 57!!!

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Still keeping the faith!
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Bill W (2) wrote:
hww27 wrote:As a Nottingham fan I'm really quite offended by the assumption that Newcastle are the only team willing or able to be promoted! Our ground passed the audit and we didn't work our backsides off all season just to be 'not bothered' about the playoffs!! I was at Bedford yesterday and yes we lost narrowly and it's far from over but if you had seen the dejected look on our lads faces when they trudged off the pitch you might think twice before saying 'they were not willing' to work for promotion. Not one to have a go usually but it annoys me when posters don't get their facts straight before posting!!!!!!
Sympathy hww27. Gact remains that if by a fluke Bedford qualified they would not go up and therefore London Oxford Welsh would stay.

But then again if Tigers were relegated arguably they could not then be promoted because the pitch is not big enough!!! Yet the team at the top of the table will be sraging a home semi-final in a ground that is too small for European competitions!!

We live in a strange world.

I blame the 57!!!

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Bedford Blues and Championship chairmen Geoff Irvine has said if Bedford win the playoffs he will contest the decision like London Welsh did last year.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:.... But then again if Tigers were relegated arguably they could not then be promoted because the pitch is not big enough!!! Yet the team at the top of the table will be sraging a home semi-final in a ground that is too small for European competitions!!...
I may be wrong - I often am - but the ground complies fully with the laws of the game and I was under the impression that it only offends the RWC rules.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:.... But then again if Tigers were relegated arguably they could not then be promoted because the pitch is not big enough!!! Yet the team at the top of the table will be sraging a home semi-final in a ground that is too small for European competitions!!...
I may be wrong - I often am - but the ground complies fully with the laws of the game and I was under the impression that it only offends the RWC rules.
Come on Dicky P don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

I think it is IRB regs that state that for "International matches" the pitch has to be bigger than Welford Road i.e. it specifies minimum dimensions which exceed those of Welford. I am not sure where this is documented (but I have not looked) - it is not insfaras I am aware within the "Laws of the Game".
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Goldington Road was big enough the last time the Blues were in the Premiership, I for one would welcome them with open arms, great little rugby ground rather than a soulless near empty footie stadium.The club who win the playoffs should be allowed to come up if they want and if the finances are not in place,then the relegated side can remain. We are rugby and above the mercenary money is god thing I would hope.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Pitch too small. Not enough seats. Too few loos.

Great little ground!! I was there a few weeks ago with my nephew who is a member.
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Bernie wrote:-
We are rugby and above the mercenary money is god thing I would hope.
Ahhh bless. Were it only so.

Have you forgotten all the nonsense posts about Moody, Twelvetrees, Aguilla, G Ford etc., spending the club's salary's etc.?
A life long Tiger
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote: above the mercenary money is god thing I would hope.
Why bring g*d into the argument?

Which particular g*d did you have in mind?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:
DickyP wrote:
Come on Dicky P don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

I think it is IRB regs that state that for "International matches" the pitch has to be bigger than Welford Road i.e. it specifies minimum dimensions which exceed those of Welford. I am not sure where this is documented (but I have not looked) - it is not insfaras I am aware within the "Laws of the Game".
The laws do specify recommended minimum pitch sizes. Various competitions specify their own and as far as I am aware neither the ERC for the HC, nor the AP have done so in a manner that obviates the use of WR.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:The laws do specify recommended minimum pitch sizes. Various competitions specify their own and as far as I am aware neither the ERC for the HC, nor the AP have done so in a manner that obviates the use of WR.
I think ERC specify minimum ground capacity for play off games which are significantly larger than Allianz Park.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With Newcastle losing the first leg of their semi to Leeds, this playoff is looking more open, though I would bet on a home win in Newcastle, only 5 points in it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.