A couple of rumours from today's Rugby Paper

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

A couple of rumours from today's Rugby Paper

Post by BJ. »

Evidently, Aaron Mauger is going to apply for Matt O'Connor's job when the Aussie heads off to the Emerald Isle at the end of the season. However, it claims Cockers says he won't be rushed into replacing Matt and may promote Paul Burke or consider Geordan Murphy as the new backs coach.

Brett Deacon is out of contract at the end of this season and, so far, has failed to reach an agreement with the club. It would appear Pau and Zebre are both interested in his signature.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A couple of rumours from today's Rugby Paper

Post by Richard »

I thought there was a rumours thread..oh look there is one on the first page
http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... =1&t=35859
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Richard wrote:I thought there was a rumours thread..oh look there is one on the first page
http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... =1&t=35859
Very constructive comment and adds to the debate. I thought the other thread was squad changes and transfer rumours. This is primarily about a possible change is coach, though you could be pedantic and say the rumour about Brett should be on the other thread.

I would prefer Gibson to Mauger. Wasn't Paul Burke part of Quins that were so admired for their attacking flair? Also according to a few it was Smurph that waived a magic wand after the Exeter game so he wouldn't be a bad coach.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

If Mauger applies I think he'll be accepted as Head Coach, Burke as backs coach, and Smurf as assistant backs coach/skills coach in a similar mould to Blaze who's assistant forwards coach/lineout coach. Also would imagine Chuter will form the final member of the coaching set up as scrum coach.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cockers DOR, Mauger head coach, Blaze assistant forwards coach/lineout coach, Burke assistant backs coach/kicking coach. That set up works nicely. Add part time player coaches Chuter and Murphy who will do some one on one mentoring as they start their coaching badges and generating the experience for the season after when they step into academy and A team roles.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

sam16111986 wrote:Cockers DOR, Mauger head coach, Blaze assistant forwards coach/lineout coach, Burke assistant backs coach/kicking coach. That set up works nicely. Add part time player coaches Chuter and Murphy who will do some one on one mentoring as they start their coaching badges and generating the experience for the season after when they step into academy and A team roles.
Looks a solid enough setup to me. All bases covered.
Whatever happened after Herring left, was he responsible for breakdown stuff?? Who replaced him, or did it just get absorbed into the general forwards coaching?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The suggestions above seem to be advocating the employment of two extra people to the coaching team, M.O.C departe & is replaced by Mauger or Gibson plus Murphy & Chuter. Paul Burke has been assistamt backs coach/kicking coach for some time, now may be his opportunity to step up with Murphy coming in as his assistant.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

Wildcard - bring in Austin Healey! Will certainly keep Cockers on his toes!

I am all for bringing new thinking so Aaron Mauger, Darryl Gibson would do me. They have been away from the club for a good while yet understand it.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

bc wrote:Wildcard - bring in Austin Healey! Will certainly keep Cockers on his toes!

I am all for bringing new thinking so Aaron Mauger, Darryl Gibson would do me. They have been away from the club for a good while yet understand it.

I am thinking that "The Board" (the Peters) will consult the senior players.

And Cockers, of course!
Still keeping the faith!