Matt O'Connor to Leinster?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

grobyman

Matt O'Connor to Leinster?

Post by grobyman »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 26678.html

Interesting story not heard this one before.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Matt O'Connor to Leinster?

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

This will make a lot of fans happy
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Can't think why Leinster would be looking at a no hoper who can't coach for toffee , can you?.......................... :smt006

Maybe he is viewed by those that know, that he is actually good at his job and just might be a loss if he is going, good luck Matt if this is true and thanks.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Well the article's source may be a little off as I believe he's signed a 2 year extension.

I'd have mixed thoughts about this - I feel he has been a great servant to us and contrary to some experts who played in the 50s, our backline play has looked good under his stewardship - as has generally our hard ground play. That being said I feel we have perhaps stalled slightly and fresh in put may be required - I'd be very happy for it to be with him rather than instead of him though. Someone like Murphy or Daryl Gibson (who was doing a very good job at the Crusaders and is now seemingly doing a good job at the Waratahs) to spice things up a bit would have suited me fine.

I guess there's only one way to find out - but for me it's a bit of a "wait and see".
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

While it'll be a shame to lose him, maybe this is what we need. Get a new name in who can excite maybe from the SH with help from GM.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I understood that the contract negotiations had stalled. MOC has obviously been looking at taking a step up to a DOR job. Fair does he's allowed to pursue his career.

Mauger or Gibson would be the ideal choice with Geordie playing one more year and taking on some part time coaching with the academy before moving into that full time.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Mentioned in the Rugby paper today...says MOC not haapy with GM becoming skills coach next season...seems to be a bit of player power involved.

Gibson\Mauger would be a great replacement if we can afford either and they can work with GM....other possibles a cetain Austin Healy....for me he needs to coach...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Evolution of the squad is inevitable, if it is done amicably and planned then I can see it being of benefit,if it happens. There's talk of players leaving that haven't happened,so I will wait and see, but it could be an interesting phase,especially interested in Geordie being a skills coach with the club too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

smalldell wrote:....other possibles a cetain Austin Healy....for me he needs to coach...
I think putting Austin with Cockers (or most people) would be like mixing oil and water. Give them a good shake and they might look 'together' for a short time, but separation would be inevitable.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

It's signed, sealed and done.
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

Not sure about Murphy going straight into a coaching role. We've seen it before with Johnson that a great player doesn't always equate to a great coach. Should O'Connor go... I too would like to see Gibson or Mauger. Or seen as Australian cricket aint looking great could we persuade Paddy Howard back :P We can always dream.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

If so, all the very best to him.
A big role for him to take on, but I'm sure he will do well, and be appreciated. He has often been praised by Cockers and the players; less so by some fans, despite us consistently being top try scorers.

Ah well, at least some will be happy...for a while.

The Paddy Howard call isn't a bad one - worked with Cockers before, and he's over here soon.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Interesting that kornboy recognises the need for a new injection of ideas, what a lot of us pro-Cockers but critical fans have been saying for some time, to less-than-universal approval from the 'all is right in the garden' crew.
My suspicion from a long while back is that there is a slight mismatch between MOC and the talent pool available at Tigers - hence the remarks about the missing 1% I occasionally warble.

We DO live in interesting times. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

jgriffin wrote:Interesting that kornboy recognises the need for a new injection of ideas, what a lot of us pro-Cockers but critical fans have been saying for some time, to less-than-universal approval from the 'all is right in the garden' crew.
My suspicion from a long while back is that there is a slight mismatch between MOC and the talent pool available at Tigers - hence the remarks about the missing 1% I occasionally warble.

We DO live in interesting times. :smt017
I'm unsure whether you're throwing me in with the "all is right in the garden crew" or the "pro-Cockers but critical fans" group?

I don't take well to coach or player bashing on here - especially when it isn't backed up by a performance or intricacies that merit it but I definitely wouldn't say I'm a happy clapper as such. Rather, I appreciate how exceptional our play can be and the complexity of our game systems.
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

How about giving Will Greenwood a go? Ex Tiger, superb rugby brain and a nice way with players.