Sarries HC Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Sarries HC Semi

Post by Soggypitch »

Only 20,000 tickets sold for Twickenham this weekend, that's embarrassing!!

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... oulon.html
Soggypitch
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Sarries HC Semi

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

There were 16,500 of us at Welford Road on Sunday for the Charity game.

Compare and contrast.....

Perhaps Saffercens could learn a thing or two.

For starters the only "standing up" done was at the end of the match with a 10 min standing ovation for the players (thanks again boys).
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I'm sure they'll give away another 20k on Friday. If you're in London, just go and hang about around the stadium, someone will give you a free ticket eventually.

Edinburgh sold 37,000 tickets for their quarter final last year and there was 50,000 at the Aviva for the semi v Ulster - it's pitiful that Saracens can't do the same for a semi.

Also interesting to note that someone's lying in the article; ERC say Twickenham was Sarries first choice, Sarries say it wasn't. Who do you trust from that parcel of rogues?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

They've fallen victim to the casual nature of their support; the same lot who'll gladly show up for a token price or even free are never likely to part with £35 to see a game they're only loosely emotionally connected to. It is a little embarrassing to the sport in general that a semi-final of the showpiece domestic tournament will take place in a three quarters empty stadium.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Clearly the "something special" that's happening at Saffacens hasn't registered with Rugby fans yet.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Val T

Post by Val T »

You will find that Sarries have been boosting their crowds by handing out up to 5 free tickets to their sponsors employees, but for the semi final as this is governed by ERC their are no free tickets available (as yet anyway. I am waiting for the email offering them!)

So in effect they bring in "rent a crowd" to make the numbers look respectable!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

The truth is that nothing much has changed for Saracens over the last three or four years in terms of support.

Despite all the gimmicks, the rent-a-mobs, the 'something special', the cheerleaders, Wembley games, 'stand up for the Saracens', 'Here we go', the new 'stadium', artificial pitch etc. the bottom line is that they still only have about 5-6000 loyal supporters.

And despite the success and high-profile signings - Ashton, Joubert, Strettle, Tompkins, Brits etc. and the accumulated losses - about £30M or so over the last five years their support remains poor in the extreme.

But only 20K of a HC semi in your own country? It shows what happens when you don't give away free tickets!
Always a Tiger
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Great, bags of room on the trains then for when we travel to/fro twickers on Sunday!!
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
tommo

Post by tommo »

Semi finals are governed and promoted by ERC, so Sarries have been tucked up on this one.

When you pay £25 for a seat at a Q/F match and then two weeks later they want £50 for the same seat for the next match in the same tournament I'm afraid the result is inevitable.

And Sarries will see very little of the £££ from this fixture,as it will be converted into Euros and shipped of the the ERC. Ergo, why should they bother spending their money promoting it, if they receive none of the profit.

What they have have done over the last few years may be distasteful to some, but they have tried to build their 'brand' into a well supported club. They've located and developed a home, and have also been successful on the pitch. Even if it means giving away tickets, and creating a hideous spectacle...they have mastered the trick of getting bums on seats. That may appeal to some people, and they may have generated a few fans.

Will be interesting to see of the ERC give a monkies
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I am by no means their biggest fan but they are trying to develop a fan base and that is difficult to do. I think having their own ground will help. The thing they need to do is fill it every game and generate an excess demand then these "bigger" games will be easier to attract....also not playing here there and everywhere when they do not need to will surely help.

I think tickets may be relased at a reduced rate but thats just commonsense really.

Finally, I think we forget how lucky we are at Tigers to have such fantastic support but a lot of the fans like myself are on the far side of 50 or getting close to it so there is work to do at home as well....
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

smalldell wrote:.... Finally, I think we forget how lucky we are at Tigers to have such fantastic support but a lot of the fans like myself are on the far side of 50 or getting close to it so there is work to do at home as well....
Excellent point about the age of many of we Tigers supporters. However, although I used to worry about exactly this point I've recently changed my mind. I suspect that the next group of 'oldies' will appear as they stop playing and have time to attend: we are always going to relatively over represented because of time and money (I for instance never got an ST whilst I was still working as I could seldom guarantee attendance, and now the kids have left home my money's my own!). Also the other group that are noticeable in the make-up of the crowds is family groups in the wider sense so plenty of youngsters are getting suitably indoctrinated.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

My favourite bit from the telegraph article is when griffiths reports "you dont see the FA running the Champions League in football". Thats because it is UEFA who run it, the ERC's footballing cousin.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

physiodan wrote:My favourite bit from the telegraph article is when griffiths reports "you dont see the FA running the Champions League in football". Thats because it is UEFA who run it, the ERC's footballing cousin.
I noticed that too, he disproves his own point by not understanding how football is run! UEFA are the direct football equivalent of ERC as FIFA is the direct equivalent of IRB.
Always a Tiger
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

bluntiger wrote:
physiodan wrote:My favourite bit from the telegraph article is when griffiths reports "you dont see the FA running the Champions League in football". Thats because it is UEFA who run it, the ERC's footballing cousin.
I noticed that too, he disproves his own point by not understanding how football is run! UEFA are the direct football equivalent of ERC as FIFA is the direct equivalent of IRB.
He will next be complaining that Amlin run the Chalenge Cup and he thinks that Alianz are better.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Fans or no fans,for all their faults they are in the semi's and top of the league.