Taking a child to the game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: Taking a child to the game

Post by Rizzo »

My daughter used to attend with my husband from about age 5, and they were always at the gates well before the gates opened, my daughter had a small plastic step stool to stand on until she was tall enough not to need it.
Generally people are accommodating and there is no real safety reason why an accompanied child shouldn't stand on the terrace.
When I used to stand on the terrace I had no objection to children coming to the front (with or without something to stand on) but it did irk me when said children were plainly not interested in the game or the players and spent most of the time asking for chips or playing on computer games & not even looking at the pitch.
I also found it annoying to have a chap (and not being sexist but it was always chaps) turn up with small child in tow about 20 minutes before kick off, push the child to the front and then declare loudly that he was going to get drinks/food and usually follow it with "You stay there...that lady will look after you." Not just the expectation that I'd "look after" someone else's child whose name I didn't even know, but that the man would happily leave a young child alone in the care of a complete stranger! I'd have slaughtered my husband if he'd done that with our child :smt027
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

It's not so much letting small kids to the front so they can see- let's be honest, they're not usually big enough to impair anyone else's view. It's just when parents send their kids to the front and then follow them.They can block your view. If you want to be at the front with your child, or if your child needs supervision, get there early.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

I have 2 sons 4 and 7. The eldest has a season ticket but doesn't go all that often really. Yesterday was the first time I have taken both of them. We sat in the Crumbie, the youngest couldn't see a thing until he sat on my knee.

Maybe a family area is the answer? I don't really have an answer but I know its hard to tell a child that he cant play in the JTC when he has to stand for 90 mins before a game, so he can see on the terrace.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I know this is late for yesterdays game but as general bit of advice I would say the key points are

1) get there early (about an hour before kick off is usually ok)
2) bring a fold up plastic stool (£3.99 from Poundstretcher or Aldi etc.)
3) bring entertainment -(DS, book etc) - this is for the time before the game and half time (not the game itself)
4) bring food and drink (always keeps them happy)

My daughter has been coming on and off for some years and is ten now - She likes the excitment of the game (especially if there is a bit of argy bargy) - buts gets a bit bored waiting - hence the entertainment and grub.

People are generally very good - I always stand right behind her but we tend to get there an hour early and always stand behind the opposition dugout(she likes the banter that goes back and forth, as do I)
I never expect anyone to let mt child in and that is why I go early but I do always find it curoius why someone would not be happy to allow a child on the fence and stand one pace back. I take the point about the adult expecting to come in as well but very rare is there no concrete left to stand on even at kick off time. People just have to be sensible and let people in. If your are 6 foot six stand at the back -if you are 4 foot nothing stand at the front. Occasionally some big bloke comes at the last minute and wants in and there is usually a polite requests and a bit of shuffling around, the jelly babies are handed round and everyone is happy. Personally I get more upset with people who got there at breakfast time to get a position on the back rail and then complain when you try to get through an hour before kick off to the 4 yards of empty concrete in front of them. Getting there ridiculously earlier does not grant you a five yard exclusion zone - it actually grants you the exact piece of concrete you stand on and other than a bit of comman courtesy from those that come after you, nothing more!

Our players are always really good with kids and my Daughters absolute hero is Steve Mafi ever since ehe had her photo taken with him.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

divingrob wrote:I have 2 sons 4 and 7. The eldest has a season ticket but doesn't go all that often really. Yesterday was the first time I have taken both of them. We sat in the Crumbie, the youngest couldn't see a thing until he sat on my knee.

Maybe a family area is the answer? I don't really have an answer but I know its hard to tell a child that he cant play in the JTC when he has to stand for 90 mins before a game, so he can see on the terrace.
I totally agree a family area or reserved area for the youngsters on the front row of the terrace would be Ideal - I had two 4 year olds who were the mascot Welfords little helpers on JTC day The fans around us were brilliant (the kids were only 1 metre tall ( about one yard ! ) and even standing on stools was difficult (they kept falling off when excited ) Little ones would not spoil the viewing of s=adults who could quite easily stand one step back - I appreciate they get to their chosen spot early at the front and use their wives to reserve their places while the menfolk frequent the bar - but come on, these tots are the future of the club and it is not easy to always get to the ground one and a half hours early to stand on the terrace instaed of the JTC simply in order for the kids to be able to see.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Saxon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Saxon »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:Simple answer is that if you want to bring children then there are plenty of seats available. It is irresponsible to bring a four year old onto the terrace.

It is even more irresponsible when parents expect their children to be given a place at the front so that they can see and either expect someone else to police a child (who proceeds to misbehave throughout the game) or think that someone letting their child in also means that they can push in front of everyone else.

Yes this is a family club and children are welcome at matches but I never went onto the terrace until I was old enough to look after myself and also tall enough to see the match there. I expect parents to act responsibly and get seats as there isn't a shortage of them.
Guys, it's reasonably obvious that YBH is a Troll of the highest order, just look back through many of his posts that are designed to be controversial. The best way to deal with anyone who is looking to incite ill-feeling is to ignore them.

Pleased you enjoyed the game with your family.
TigerTiger....
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Saxon wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:Simple answer is that if you want to bring children then there are plenty of seats available. It is irresponsible to bring a four year old onto the terrace.

It is even more irresponsible when parents expect their children to be given a place at the front so that they can see and either expect someone else to police a child (who proceeds to misbehave throughout the game) or think that someone letting their child in also means that they can push in front of everyone else.

Yes this is a family club and children are welcome at matches but I never went onto the terrace until I was old enough to look after myself and also tall enough to see the match there. I expect parents to act responsibly and get seats as there isn't a shortage of them.
Guys, it's reasonably obvious that YBH is a Troll of the highest order, just look back through many of his posts that are designed to be controversial. The best way to deal with anyone who is looking to incite ill-feeling is to ignore them.

I disagree. YBH makes some valid points, and does not deserve to be labelled a troll for doing so.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Phil B wrote:
I disagree. YBH makes some valid points, and does not deserve to be labelled a troll for doing so.
Just as stujoed(and anyone else with a youngster on the terrace)doesn't deserve to be labelled irresponsible.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Phil B wrote:
Saxon wrote:

Thanks. That is correct and if people read back far enough then they would find posts relating to my experience of how parents behave when taking children to matches.

I used to support the idea of children on the terrace and would regularly let children through but the vast majority of times that I have done that have resulted in either the parents or the children misbehaving and often both, therefore my opinion has changed.

I'm sorry to those parents who think that they look after their children properly and that their offspring behave themselves (those who behave well are fine) but from my experience the vast majority don't and do not even realise it.

If you want to go to Junior Tiger club then you can't expect to be let past people. I don't go to the bar before or during the game so that I can save my place and not inconvenience people by pushing through every time I fancy a pint. If I wanted to have pints during the game then I would stand at the back.

I agree with a family area. It should be the clubhouse end. I suggest a creche section where children can be taken to after the Junior Tiger Club with the children sitting together and parents could volunteer to be on a rota to sit with them and look after them. Thus parents who were not selected that week to police the little ones could have a break and go to the bar.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

To be fair i think YBH is correct, i have a 7 year old son & 10 year old daughter and i wouldn't take them onto the terrace until they were able to stand and see in their own right.
We've sat in the CAT stand and they've really enjoyed the experience, able to sit with a good view in relative comfort.
I've no objection to children going on the terrace but parents shouldn't expect to turn up after JTC and expect to get to the front.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"