George Ford?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Ford?

Post by The Boy Dave »

Parent's think their son's are the best, coaches think their player's are the best, school masters think their players are the best, it's all politics at every level in every sport. The only way to answer is on the pitch, making a major contribution to winning matches and winning trophies. Cockers wanted Ford to stay on his terms and Ford wanted to stay but on his terms, they couldn't reach an agreement. He can't be too bad if Cockers wanted him to stay. We move on but still you canno't deny the basis for Smudge's argument. If Flood was ripping up opposition, knocking over important drop goals in big matches and leading our team to the top honours with scintillating rugby then there would be no argument. Who is underrated and who is overrated is a matter of opinion. I don't believe anyone can claim to be 100% correct on this one. Smudge reckon's Ford could have had a big future with us and Cockers obviously agreed as he wanted him to stay. Flood is the current first choice, he is older, wiser, more thick skinned but he is yet to prove he is any more worthy IMO!
Cheery chappy
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

Tigers have a simple philosophy. You'll start if you're good enough. What they will never do is be affected by demands and/or ultimatums (no player is bigger than the club) and quite right to.

The bench and fringe players will alway get a chance due to the number of internationals in the squad and the number of internationals they play (nearly half the season)

The facts of this rather sorry situation are:
1). George didn't want to fight for his place probably because Floody is going to be around for some time and better than him.
2). Constant pressure from his father i.e. Sign for us and you'll start; as his Dad knew Donald was leaving ages ago.

And no I can't reveal my sources either but why would I make it up.... :smt002
Last edited by Tiger_Dad on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Smudge wrote: You may be a keyboard warrior sunbeam but I am not.
Talk to me on the message link and I will arrange for you to meet me and my chums to hear our informed opinions at first hand.

That's of course if you ever go to WR.
Sorry, but the last time I checked, this was an internet forum. We're all keyboard warriors here 'sunbeam.' The whole point is discussion. You made a post. I disagreed with it and made, I think, some reasonable counter-arguments. You then refused to address my points, except for one which you chose to get offended over. Your latest post just reads like a cop-out and a refusal to engage in discussion.

And you have the cheek to accuse me of being insulting.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smudge wrote:Alex wrote:_
You see, this is the thing about the internet. Anybody can set up an account under the cloak of anonymity and claim lots of things to be true. I don't know you. You don't know me. I don't think it's insulting to ask someone you don't know for the source of their information, especially if it's basically the centre of the argument. I'm sure you're an honest bloke, but I don't know that and I don't know you. You're just another anonymous on the internet. As am I. I'm an honest person, but I wouldn't expect you to believe everything I claim is fact without proof. It's not insulting. It's being internet savvy.
Internet savvy is not good manners and claiming it, is no excuse for them.
My pals and I have strong connections to the club going back to the 1950s.
My word is my bond and I am not in the habit of telling lies.
As for anonymity, I will gladly meet you at WR any time as I am sure will Bill.
Of course I won't name my sources on here because of any embarrassment it may cause them. However, I can assure you, I do trust what I hear.
This may be a 21st century medium, but my generation are more substantial than that.
Bill will be delighted to meet Smudge and his mates and TigerAlex and his mates at the Welford Road end smokers corner of the Crumbie (H&B) 20 mins before KO, I neet Clive (ex Tigers player from Chalky's days) and some other chums and we buy a pint in the ABC (or Marks) and then go to our seats).
Still keeping the faith!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

My pals and I have strong connections to the club going back to the 1950s.
Mmmm...my family have connections with the club going back to before the war. Doesn't make my opinions any more valuable or insightful than anyone elses.

It just isn't possible to keep every player. Ford is a good prospect, but Flood is presently better. At some stage that would have tipped (as it has with Cole and Castro). He's decided to go (I wonder how he'll get on competing with Heathcote - who is in good form - for the shirt?), we have decent replacements. Time to move on.

Also, not all sporting separations will be amicable - it's an intense environment - but I note this quote from Tom Vandell:
I’ve kept all my shirts and everything, all the stuff I won there,” said Varndell. “Stuff like that stays with you forever. A team like Leicester have a big squad and if you’re not up for it then you’re shipped out and that’s the end of it. I loved my time there.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

There are some posts on here that, frankly, come across as very threatening and overbearing. Perhaps users should bear in mind that no one has the right to say they are a better or more informed fan than anyone else because of the number of games/length of time supporting/going to home & away games etc that applies to them. Surely we should be trying to support the team and club rather than attacking and issuing veiled threats to other fans of our team?

I would also observe that asking someone for a source for information they post is not calling them a liar or insulting them, it is simply asking for a sound basis for information. Otherwise what you post is simply your view and your opinion without any back-up source or basis. That's fine because opinion is what discussion boards are for, but you cannot present your opinion or view as solid fact without giving a source or basis for backup.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother