Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford?

Post by 4071 »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
4071 wrote:
This would be the same George Ford who was the youngest-ever winner of the World Junior Play of the Year award?
There have been a few winners of this award that haven't really turned out to be stars though and haven't been capped for their senior side.
None winning it at such a young age, though. He was still eligible for the U18s when he picked up the award. He's still eligible for the U20s this year. At his age, Aaron Cruden - also a winner of the award - had yet to even feature at S15 level. Ford has already played in cup finals (winning one) and racked up nearly 40 first class club appearances and A international caps.

Ford has definitely shown the level of ability that would single him out as a future international. Whether he goes on to fulfil that potential is a different matter, but he's certainly way ahead of where Cruden was at the same age. And he's done alright for himself.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I agree, just thought it was worth pointing out that winning the award doesn't necessarily lead to great things!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Mrs Smudge, commenting on Boy George's departure told me
" you never know, he could always come back"

I laughed it off but then cast my mind back. Not to the old era but to
the modern pro game. I remember Goode coming back from Sarries but no one else.
I seem to remember that Goode was as good as sacked by them.
But he was/is a stand-off.
If George develops into the player I think he is capable of being, clubs will shower him in gold, so no I don't think he will be back. Pity.
A life long Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sport is littered with promising juniors who never achieved in the senior ranks.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

True but George won't be one of them.
Is anyone amazed that he doesn't want to stay for the amazing coaching?
A life long Tiger
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

And now apparently Henson is moving to Bath

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-20 ... 81058.html

The No10 slot could be a bit crowded.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Smudge wrote:True but George won't be one of them.
He is under the impression that he hasn't had enough starts this season. He's a 19 year old who didn't demonstrate anything more than average skill during his spell of starts early on in the season and needs to understand that he doesn't deserve to start over Flood.

Also, his dad coaches at Bath so his move isn't a barometer of coaching quality but of dubious character (IMO, of course).

By the way, I didn't know you were psychic :smt002
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Obviously
A life long Tiger
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Smudge wrote:True but George won't be one of them.
He is under the impression that he hasn't had enough starts this season. He's a 19 year old who didn't demonstrate anything more than average skill during his spell of starts early on in the season and needs to understand that he doesn't deserve to start over Flood.

Also, his dad coaches at Bath so his move isn't a barometer of coaching quality but of dubious character (IMO, of course).

By the way, I didn't know you were psychic :smt002
Unless George comes out and says something about it, I don't think we'll ever know how much his dad influenced his decision to leave. I don't think it would have taken much more than a few whispers of 'you're under-appreciated there' or 'your talent is being wasted at Leicester' and 'think of how much more you could be playing at Bath' and 'look at how well Owen Farrell did when he played at a club his dad coached at.' He would't have the counter arguments of Cole, Youngs and Manu and I can see him getting impatient rather than anything else.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Handled properly (there's the rub)he will be a great player.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bit presumptious(sp) Smudge, he might be a better player at Barf, but he could have been even better with a bigger club like ours,the rub is we will never know now as he's off.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I am really miffed at the way he has been handled at Tigers.
It's not presumptions Burnie, he has "pedigree" through every cell of his body.
I agree he should be staying at Tigers, like Billy and Horacio, etc etc.
It is a disgrace that players who are on the verge of a great career can't be retained. (Who's fault is it I wonder)?
Imagine how we are going to feel if he does become the next Dan Carter or JW?
I hope some of RC's apologists hurt as much as I did when HA scored against us last week.
I am reconciled that George is off but who else among our young stars will we let slip through our collective fingers? The mind boggles.
Last edited by Smudge on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A life long Tiger
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Smudge wrote:Handled properly (there's the rub)he will be a great player.
How exactly could he have been handled better? Yes, there's been some occasions where players haven't been developed as well as it seems, but in the case of GF I fail to see what RC could have done?

The fact is he is a 20 year old playing at a club where the current England 10 (well sort of!) plays, and has actually played a lot of rugby this season with pretty average form.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I still remember the last great 'messiah' (charge down Danny) that many said should be fast tracked to the top. I also remember that after he was dropped from England he headed for Melbourne with the intention of improving his game and being a shoe in for England when he returned (once the RWC 2011 was over and Johhno was gone).

We'll have to see how Ford goes at Barf (have they actually confirmed the signing?) and I wish him luck (except against Tigers) but I feel that like CDC Ford has been over-rated and over-hyped by quite a bit.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

We don't know exactly what has being going on behind the scenes, but the impression I get is that he wants more regular first team games. If that is the case, it would come down to him or Toby. I would imagine that if a promising 20 year old plays over a 50 cap international, said international may not stay too long.
I know which player I would prefer to stay at Tigers