Saints .. a force in 13/14 ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Saints .. a force in 13/14 ?

Post by Hinckley Bob »

It has always seemed to be the that Saints were more prepared than Tigers to pay top dollar for star imports like Spencer and North but at the expense of squad depth and nothing seems to change. League position over the years would indicate that Tigers philosophy works better.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Yeah, problem with signing a couple of big names over a more rounded squad, if that player is out injured for instance, the team is considerably weaker. However, if you're squad is more balanced as a whole, losing one player leaves less of a gap.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Certain ex-Saints seem to agree with the concensus on here - see BBC report - funnily enough, Mallinder still seems to disagree !
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Their best signing I reckon is Kahn Fotuali'i who should make a real difference. Dickson is OK at scrum half but has never really 'gelled' with Myler and often seems to be on a totally different wavelength. Fotuali'i can do a lot more on his own if the link isn't going well.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

DickyP wrote:Their best signing I reckon is Kahn Fotuali'i who should make a real difference. Dickson is OK at scrum half but has never really 'gelled' with Myler and often seems to be on a totally different wavelength. Fotuali'i can do a lot more on his own if the link isn't going well.
I agree. He is a superb player and can really make things happen.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

look at their recent run, dominating the weaker packs and as soon as the face an equal/better 1 in Tigers they had no chance as their backs aren't up to it, that's where they needed new ideas/strengthening